Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars Galaxies Restoration 3 Server Launches Today, Addresses 'Systemic Problems' From Live Game

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599

imageStar Wars Galaxies Restoration 3 Server Launches Today, Addresses 'Systemic Problems' From Live Game | MMORPG.com

Star Wars Galaxies' Restoration 3 server goes live today, and with it another way to relive the venerable MMO thanks to the work of its emulation community.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    ohh nice , was thinking of trying out Legends , but i think ill get in this on this one at ground floor
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    So this is the one based on the CU?
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Website is broken, hopefully they fix it.
    SWG Bloodfin vet

• ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 758

Tiller said:

In what way? I just downloaded the installer and all the pages I wanted to see were working.
  • mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    I can't help but wonder if this is what everyone wanted. The pre-NGE skill set with all of the good things from CU. I know a lot of people loved Jump to Lightspeed (although I never played it). Definitely going to check this out.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Tiller said:
    I was getting a white page with a "not enough storage space" error about an hour ago but it's fine now.
    Tiller
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 874
    I have been trying to log in for 2 hours lol launch day woes. other then that I am really excited to try it out I have been playing on legends because of jump to light speed but the pre nge is what I really loved. I am sure they will get it straightened out. the one question I had was their cots seem super low like they say under 150 total and the donate link goes to some guys hot mail lol which is fine but kinda funny.

g0dl355 said:

I remember when mmorpg's were for the outcasts, the small group who found potential in this new space while everyone else was laughing at online games in their Abercrombie shorts and red plastic cups. SWG was made for the people, the culture.

Now look..normies everywhere demanding easy access, watering everything down and then streaming it half naked. What a terrible fate befell the MMORPG.

Thank god for emu's and old classics that keep chugging along, sub numbers be damned.

The thing I miss the most about that time is the community you actually made friends and I still play with some of them. However, it is much harder to make communities now days not sure why that is.
    Mustikos
  • MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

mcrippins said:

I can't help but wonder if this is what everyone wanted. The pre-NGE skill set with all of the good things from CU. I know a lot of people loved Jump to Lightspeed (although I never played it). Definitely going to check this out.

This is exactly what I wanted. I distinctly remember how much I loved the improvements made to the game in CU and how the NGE release only months later ruined all the solid work they had done getting the game into a much better place. Tons of good content and features came to SWG post-NGE, but gameplay wise, CU was the best the game had ever been.
    mcrippinsHolyAvengerOneHatefull
  • Randomuser2020876Randomuser2020876 Member UncommonPosts: 81
    They can't even manage to make a working login server.
  • HJ-NavarreHJ-Navarre Hero's Journey GMMember UncommonPosts: 104
    Wow... Very cool. I'm in!
    edited May 2021

MikeB said:

mcrippins said:

This is exactly what I wanted. I distinctly remember how much I loved the improvements made to the game in CU and how the NGE release only months later ruined all the solid work they had done getting the game into a much better place. Tons of good content and features came to SWG post-NGE, but gameplay wise, CU was the best the game had ever been.

I remember everyone was pissed over the CU. I wasn't happy but stuck it out, then I began to enjoy it. Soon lots of folks who had left started to returned and like it; I even convinced some of my guildmates to come back.

Then some months later someone posted a supposed ''leak" about a new version and everyone figured it was just a hoax, within 3 months they announced the NGE and again people were angry. Once we got our hands on it was end game, I couldn't defend swg at this point anymore, NGE was absolute crap. Many of the folks who returned after the CU debacle left again never to return. We all know the rest.

As for this game, it will be nice to just play at your own pace, not having to worry about unlocking Jedi ever to "keep up" Let me play my BH/pistoleer/Doc and I'm all good.
    HJ-NavarreHolyAvengerOneHatefull
    SWG Bloodfin vet

• BrokenSilenceBrokenSilence Member UncommonPosts: 321
    I've never played Star Wars Galaxies but it looks like it was a great game. I almost want to give this a try but I know there's going to be a cease and desist letter going out and it's going to get shutdown so why bother.
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Unfortunately this "3" does mean this is the third attempt this team has had at a successful server. Fresh servers are always a good time though!
    Hatefull
  • RaagnarzRaagnarz Member RarePosts: 576

I've never played Star Wars Galaxies but it looks like it was a great game. I almost want to give this a try but I know there's going to be a cease and desist letter going out and it's going to get shutdown so why bother.

Why would they get one when Legends server and SWGemu server are still up and running and have been forever. If one gets a C&D then they all will. But seemingly no one cares anymore. Sony actually blessed the EMU and Legends server to my knowledge quite some time ago.
  • HJ-NavarreHJ-Navarre Hero's Journey GMMember UncommonPosts: 104
    According to Forums & Discord, they are 10x past previously tested max capacity and, as such, most players are unable to connect to the server atm... just like the original SWG launch :)
    Though, I would rather they have the problem of too many players instead of not enough. I'll try again later/tomorrow. /salute
    HolyAvengerOne
  • NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835
    Lucas said a long time ago that as long as the EMU's didn't make money he could care less.  Plus the code can now be found as abandoned ware.

SWG Legends just celebrated it's 5th anniversary and SWGEmu has been around even longer.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• WarWitchWarWitch Member UncommonPosts: 351
    Where is a link to it ?
    so the update is:
    re-iterating this again:
    the current problem, is resto has gotten so much traffic that the website host itself is having issues, and we have to migrate the website to a new host before anyone can log back in.
    we're all hands on deck getting it fixed as fast as possible

I feel bad for them I want them to be a success this is the exact server I want to be on the cu with JTL. Honestly I was so excited that I did not sleep much Friday lol. Ill give them a break though they have been trying hard for 24 hours and have to be tired and the discord has some dumb people in it.
  • ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 758

Raagnarz said:

Why would they get one when Legends server and SWGemu server are still up and running and have been forever. If one gets a C&D then they all will. But seemingly no one cares anymore. Sony actually blessed the EMU and Legends server to my knowledge quite some time ago.

I haven't played either of those two but understood they had designed their software so that people had to own the original game to use them. Restoration 3 is providing everything for free with no requirement to actually own a legal copy of the game.
  • ashiru_1978ashiru_1978 Member RarePosts: 818

ReaperUk said:

Raagnarz said:

I haven't played either of those two but understood they had designed their software so that people had to own the original game to use them. Restoration 3 is providing everything for free with no requirement to actually own a legal copy of the game.

There is no such thing. Every SWG private server works with any default SWG client you download from the internet. Whether you download it from My Abandonware or The Pirate Bay, it doesn't matter as long as it's the base, untampered client used for the shutdown Retail version.
  • DarkEvilHatredDarkEvilHatred Member UncommonPosts: 229
    The word "SYSTEMIC" should be banned from the dictionary and all future use!
    Mustikos
  • Eva-01Eva-01 Member UncommonPosts: 69

ReaperUk said:

Raagnarz said:

Not really. You dont have to, you can easily go to the SWG subreddit, and find a copy there on the sidebar and play legends and SWGemu.
    edited May 2021
    delete

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

ReaperUk said:

Raagnarz said:

You did in the beginning and if you go back to the old steam forums you'll see a lot of posts from those looking to get a copy of the game so they could play on the 'new' EMU's that had come out.

Couldn't tell you when it changed and the game showed up for free on the internet, but that's how it is now. All you have to do is google, download and you can download which ever EMU you want to try.