Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I Undervalued Good Movement In MMOs Until Swords Of Legends Online | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599

imageI Undervalued Good Movement In MMOs Until Swords Of Legends Online | MMORPG.com

When thinking of game mechanics, movement doesn't always come up. Yet it's something Bradford hasn't been able to get out of his head since Swords of Legends Online went into beta last week.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ScottJeslisScottJeslis Member UncommonPosts: 355
    Similar feeling for me playing my Demon Hunter in WoW. I miss the double tap glide mechanic when I play any other toon. To be able to glide off high peaks without fall damage!
  • koldmiserkoldmiser Member RarePosts: 348
    Warframe has the best movement. You feel like a bad ass and it looks cool as hell.
    Tuor7AlexanderVendi[Deleted User]UngoodlotrloreTacticalZombehvelimiriusShinobekjempff[Deleted User]
  • sordrossordros Member UncommonPosts: 13
    So they use Blade and souls movement.... if I am remembering that correctly.
    koldmiserhoenens1velimiriusGatsuZerkShinobe
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited May 2021
    Funny how this person likes everything in the game and i don't like hardly any of it.Then again i am not a sponsored game content creator given special privilege by the developers.They give free game access to those they can count on to hype up the game for them.\
    I prefer a serious game and not that silly flying and gliding nonsense,flying on a sword .

Good customization is more than a face visual change.You'll be wearing gear al the time so the visual customization is nearly pointless.

Combat animation are typical of Asian work,they look silly,arcade type movement and appear to be missing half their .ani frames.

I watched a very long session of the live stream today and much of the Q/a and still feel like this game is awful but will likely have good housing.

Graphically/visual is another topic long discussed for years.I don't share the same view that a simple 2D view is all that meaningful.Personally i put more importance on the interactive world you know a world that actually feels real and not just some screen saver.

So very typically Asian or even cheap games tend to have very few inside building/structures,no moving doors and just have all the npc's standing motionless outside.

Bounties for points ...sigh.Who gives you these points,automated?How does it make ANY sense that a bounty gives you points?if they had AN Yclue how to create immersive content there could be a LAWFUl entity that might hire you to help catch criminals and they pay you in currency but POINTS..lmao doesn't even make sense.

This leads right into the point allotment systems,again DUMB fake looking ideas.This would be like in real life we can just add a Strength point and we automatically are stronger !!!.Sounds dumb right,well that's because it IS.

Most...ALL really bad game studios have no idea how to create a plausible immersive world/game.Instead they think oh RPG,i know let's give them stuff to do,loot to grind and systems to allot points and oh yeah PVP !!.

[Deleted User]kmelot

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• LTBKLTBK Member UncommonPosts: 64
    Wait until you unlock triple jump, or after you find out how to jump and get on the flying mount on the run lol. Moving around on that MMORPG is certainly made in a very cool way.

Also, to the person above, it clearly shows how they never played the game and just watched a couple of streams.

1) Customization is very extensive, with a wide range of gear appearances (some of which even look better than cash shop stuff) that can be transmogged.

2) Combat animations fit perfectly in the setting without looking overkill, and no, they don't miss any frames. Animations are fluid and the combat is fun.

3) Yes, housing has the potential to be one of the best in the genre. It certainly looks beautiful, and gives you a lot of freedom on what you want to build.

4) The world feels alive, and it looks beautiful. Plus, the music adds even more to the setting. NPCs don't stand there doing nothing. Some of them do, like quest NPCs or those that are inside a building or doing something, but others are walking around or only appear at certain times. Overall, the game world certainly invites you to sometimes take a break and just enjoy the scenery and the music. Even more, you can climb or fly to the highest mountain or building and watch everyone below. Asking for more than that on a MMO, when real AI is still not here and when adding more complex stuff would severely impact server performance, is unrealistic.

5) There's a lot of interiors for buildings and structures. That's notable on the cities, and easy to see if one doesn't run from quest giver to quest giver as if the world was going to end tomorrow (like most streamers do).

6) There's no "fake and dumb" point allotting systems. It has a constellation system (different for each class and role) that allows for build diversity way beyond "+1 Strenght".

It's not a perfect game, not by any means. But it's a good one, and this person wasn't really on the point with their "review".
    Scot[Deleted User]SovrathcameltosisYashaXkmelot
  • lischtylischty Member UncommonPosts: 2

Mars_OMG said:

Buy to play, the first mistake.

seems like every major mmo is going down this path, milk that buy to play then go f2p
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166

lischty said:

Mars_OMG said:

Buy to play, the first mistake.

seems like every major mmo is going down this path, milk that buy to play then go f2p

The buy up front path for MMORPGs has been gone down more than any other, so it shouldn't be much of a surprise.
  • HefaistosHefaistos Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Double? Do you mean triple jump (bard)? :)
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

LTBK said:

Wait until you unlock triple jump, or after you find out how to jump and get on the flying mount on the run lol. Moving around on that MMORPG is certainly made in a very cool way.

Also, to the person above, it clearly shows how they never played the game and just watched a couple of streams.

1) Customization is very extensive, with a wide range of gear appearances (some of which even look better than cash shop stuff) that can be transmogged.

2) Combat animations fit perfectly in the setting without looking overkill, and no, they don't miss any frames. Animations are fluid and the combat is fun.

3) Yes, housing has the potential to be one of the best in the genre. It certainly looks beautiful, and gives you a lot of freedom on what you want to build.

4) The world feels alive, and it looks beautiful. Plus, the music adds even more to the setting. NPCs don't stand there doing nothing. Some of them do, like quest NPCs or those that are inside a building or doing something, but others are walking around or only appear at certain times. Overall, the game world certainly invites you to sometimes take a break and just enjoy the scenery and the music. Even more, you can climb or fly to the highest mountain or building and watch everyone below. Asking for more than that on a MMO, when real AI is still not here and when adding more complex stuff would severely impact server performance, is unrealistic.

5) There's a lot of interiors for buildings and structures. That's notable on the cities, and easy to see if one doesn't run from quest giver to quest giver as if the world was going to end tomorrow (like most streamers do).

6) There's no "fake and dumb" point allotting systems. It has a constellation system (different for each class and role) that allows for build diversity way beyond "+1 Strenght".

It's not a perfect game, not by any means. But it's a good one, and this person wasn't really on the point with their "review".

Welcome to the forums!

For a first post this was very insightful, hope to hear more from you soon. :)
    [Deleted User]hoenens1SovrathLTBKYashaX
  • LordRhysLordRhys Member UncommonPosts: 18
    So far the game seems fine the one issue I have as a PC user is the key combinations, I don't mind the WASD movement but why are the main abilities tied to QEZR and sub actions to the 1234... keys, it's kind of difficult to pull off a QEZ combo while using WASD to move around. I haven't taken a look at rebinding keys yet but if you can that may solve that issue.
    [Deleted User]
  • olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,828
    edited May 2021
    City of Heroes had the best movement by far. You start out walking/running like every other MMO, but as you level up, you learn travel powers.

This includes flying(!), running as fast as the Flash, and superjump which allows you to jump 10 story buildings, and teleporting.
    [Deleted User]ET3D

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• SplattrSplattr Member RarePosts: 543
    LTBK said:

Oh don't worry, Wizardry doesn't play games, he just complains about them. That's sorta his shtick.
    [Deleted User]YashaXRoinCryomatrix
  • SplattrSplattr Member RarePosts: 543
    Wizardry said:
    Funny how this person likes everything in the game and i don't like hardly any of it.
    That's not funny, that's par for the course for you. 
    I prefer a serious game and not that silly flying and gliding nonsense,flying on a sword .
    Dude, if someone here did a review on chess you'd find a way to say the game was trash. Let's see....the map is too small and stolen from checkers, the turn-based system isn't realistic because any real army would move all of their men at once when attacking a king, the movement of the pieces is too restrictive, and it's so easy a five year old could play it. 

[Deleted User]LTBKcameltosisYashaXRoinCryomatrix
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Splattr said:
    LTBK said:

Oh don't worry, Wizardry doesn't play games, he just complains about them. That's sorta his shtick.
    Yes, but those whose glass is half empty balance those of us whose glass is half full and I must admit when it comes to games I tend start of half empty until proven wrong myself. :)
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Wizardry said:
    Funny how this person likes everything in the game and i don't like hardly any of it.Then again i am not a sponsored game content creator given special privilege by the developers.

I like many things in the game yet am still not a sponsored blah blah blah.

I also have criticisms.

I think in the end, and I'm going out on a limb here, the world doesn't revolve around one person's tastes and preferences.

As far as your "serious game" comment, that's great. Heck, I prefer a game that leans more toward being serious than comical myself.

But I do like the idea of magic and gods and a whole variety of fantastical things.

I still don't see how you like final fantasy 11 as it has magic. I don't know if you're a hypocrite or if your tastes have changed or maybe you don't like the themes and ideas in final fantasy 11 but you DO like the gameplay.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • qtaqqtaq Member UncommonPosts: 75
    edited May 2021
    Did you even read the man's article all the way through or at all geez people are just never happy with anything anymore no matter how good it is. Great article maybe you can write about the beta as whole next time and these loud mouths can bitch in the appropriate article.
  • ET3DET3D Member UncommonPosts: 325

olepi said:

City of Heroes had the best movement by far. You start out walking/running like every other MMO, but as you level up, you learn travel powers.

This includes flying(!), running as fast as the Flash, and superjump which allows you to jump 10 story buildings, and teleporting.

Yes, this immediately came to mind when I read this. As you levelled up, you could get travel powers to be quite fast, which really made travelling a lot less hassle than in other games. This made all other games feel like they were just wasting player time with travel.
  • metarealmetareal Member UncommonPosts: 32
    Love this approach. In 2009 Aion, travelling was already a game though the mean of limited time gliding. It was an art to master, especially for the Abyss, travelling from levitated islands to islands.
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Did you skip Wildstar?