Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It Looks Like Valve is Creating a Nintendo Switch-Like Handheld Gaming PC | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599

imageIt Looks Like Valve is Creating a Nintendo Switch-Like Handheld Gaming PC | MMORPG.com

So here's a thing. It turns out Valve, the caretakers of Steam and the like, are creating a handheld gaming PC which is said to be similar to the Nintendo Switch.

Read the full story here

Comments

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    What an odd market to get in to. I don't personally know anyone who uses their switch in handheld mode. Kids I get, but steam isn't exactly kid friendly.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671

Utinni said:

What an odd market to get in to. I don't personally know anyone who uses their switch in handheld mode. Kids I get, but steam isn't exactly kid friendly.

Eh, not entirely true. Steam is 'broad.' The thing is now that many base steam customers probably have kids, so they can just distract their kids on the go, especially given how steam's library filtering can work (fun days hiding hunnie-pop and other games from my nephew when we'd run through my library). Its not a bad move if they can make it decent enough (does anyone really use a steam-controller?) and the price point of course. But we'll see, its not like its a crazy market, but chances are if they don't, Epic will.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    It might seem odd but to me the rampant fever over cell phones is ridiculous.The cell phone industry is a massive cash grab and people way over spend on it.

Consoles are the same,like how many systems do you need to game?Well imo the PC has always been a more rounded machine that does more than game.

Handhelds are again just another gimmick,this is what people do,they see a popular trend and try to find ways to cash in on it.Like we see all these PC peripherals being advertised to us,streaming,gaming chairs,gaming mics,green screens bla bla all cash grabs.

I look for as little as possible,i want to get the job done and that is it ,no added wasted spending.Bottom line no matter what it is or how good it is we likely see millions line up to buy it out of sheer stupidity and hype.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• lotrlorelotrlore Managing EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 556
    edited May 2021

Utinni said:

*Raises hand as someone who uses their Switch almost exclusively in handheld mode* I use my switch that way about 95% of the time. That said, you don't "personally" know me, so your statement still rings true. :wink:
  • donzin08donzin08 Member UncommonPosts: 40
    I also use my switch 95% of the time in handheld mode. Its nice to just kick back on the couch while the wife watches smutt tv haha
  • jitter77jitter77 Member UncommonPosts: 512
    Sounds cool, but not sure how a handheld PC would work.  No keyboard / mouse would be crappy
  • NeoyoshiNeoyoshi Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Why? Because "Valve"

Fishing on Gilgamesh since 2013
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    Never been interested in handhelds, not back then, not now.  But it'll be interesting to watch how Valve approaches this....

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    So they're making an NVidia Shield.  :*
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Third times the charm, what time are we on now?
    Scot

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    I don't think steam understands PC players or why and how we use PCs. I know the first poster said steam is too complicated for kids, but that is all I see when I go on there, and it seems like that is who every steam update is aimed at.

I pretty much stopped using steam unless I'm playing an old game I already have. I used to check steam for new game releases, but now they have new intermixed with "new and trending," they consider any game made an rpg, and the filters are garbage. It is just useless to me now. I go to rpgwatch to get a list of released rpgs, and I only buy on steam if that is my absolute last option.

I joined steam since the first week they were out and have well over 1k games on it, it is just updating itself into irrelevance to people like me. I'm in my mid 40s and my friends around my age also using steam as a last resort instead of the first place checked.

My son is getting more into steam and playing consoles less, but he only plays extremely popular and hip games so it works for him and his interests.

Why does steam allow endless amounts of trash releases if they don't let us sort and filter them in any sort of functional way? Why have genres if every game is every genre?
  • Randomuser2020876Randomuser2020876 Member UncommonPosts: 81
    edited May 2021
    Imagine trying to compete with a Valve handheld that has your entire Steam library available at any time. No having to rebuy games on a new platform, no muss, no fuss. Valve could even add streaming to it for games that require higher resources, either from their servers or from your own PC, and kill Stadia ( which is already hanging on by a thread ) overnight. Could even take on Switch by making an optional dock to connect to your tv for those who can't afford to, or don't want to, upgrade their PC. Valve does this right, they can rake in the money without even trying.
    meerclarvelimiriusScot
  • ziabatsuziabatsu Member UncommonPosts: 150
    The thing that makes Nintendo Switch worth buying is that the games it has are actually different than the other platforms. I can play 90% of the same titles across Playstation, XBOX, and PC. Nintendo is the exception to the rule; I don't see this taking off... at least not as well as the Switch did.
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166

jitter77 said:

Sounds cool, but not sure how a handheld PC would work.  No keyboard / mouse would be crappy

There are plenty of PC games that work fine with a controller, which is what I'd expect the most likely type to be played on it.
    Sovrath
  • Nite5hadowNite5hadow Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Honestly, having my entire steam library playable on a handheld device (Steam Link sucks) then I see this as an absolute win.
    Sovrath
  • BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

Utinni said:

I actually......switch.....it up quite regularly between handheld and docked. Haaaah.......okay I'lle leave.
    Sovrath
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Just what we need, another subpar gaming machine on the market.
    edited May 2021
    jitter77 said:

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    jitter77 said:

And that picture of some loon of a guy is supposed to make me want to buy it? Right.
  • jitter77jitter77 Member UncommonPosts: 512
    jitter77 said:

I know you can use joysticks, but i hate controllers for fps games or if your playing a game like civilization.  I just prefer K&M in most games except for sports and racing.   
    jitter77 said:
    jitter77 said:

I know you can use joysticks, but i hate controllers for fps games or if your playing a game like civilization.  I just prefer K&M in most games except for sports and racing.   
    Apparently you missed the whole sliding up of the screen reveals a keyboard underneath, or the USB ports where a full size mouse and keyboard can be plugged in. But if you're really wanting full mice and keyboards, you're likely not wanting mobile. So none of this is aimed at you most likely anyway.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Utinni said:
    The Switch has carved out a space in the console market where Nintendo has failed at for some time. They are the #1 selling console. Im shocked its taken this long for someone to copy them. Personally I think the Xbox S should have gone down this road. 

Steam has a huge following, if this Steam/Switch device also lets you plug it into your TV, making PC games a livingroom experience and also make PC games portable. Thats huge! My guess their tech will also pair with GeForce Now for streaming service. 

Also Valve is in talks to MS to bring the Game Pass to their platform. This could be a hard hitting device. 
    jitter77 said:
    jitter77 said:

Apparently you missed the whole sliding up of the screen reveals a keyboard underneath, or the USB ports where a full size mouse and keyboard can be plugged in. But if you're really wanting full mice and keyboards, you're likely not wanting mobile. So none of this is aimed at you most likely anyway.
    Also, Steam makes allot of games work really well with controllers that have no native controller support. I have bought some games on Steam just for this feature. 
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Imagine trying to compete with a Valve handheld that has your entire Steam library available at any time. No having to rebuy games on a new platform, no muss, no fuss. Valve could even add streaming to it for games that require higher resources, either from their servers or from your own PC, and kill Stadia ( which is already hanging on by a thread ) overnight. Could even take on Switch by making an optional dock to connect to your tv for those who can't afford to, or don't want to, upgrade their PC. Valve does this right, they can rake in the money without even trying.
    You could have easily gave an awesome sounding pitch about steam's console thing that flopped.  "Imagine a console that has your whole steam library and built in control support, etc, etc.  They could kill off playstation and xbox, etc.  Valve does this right, they can rake in money without even trying."

blamo2000 said:
    You could have easily gave an awesome sounding pitch about steam's console thing that flopped.  "Imagine a console that has your whole steam library and built in control support, etc, etc.  They could kill off playstation and xbox, etc.  Valve does this right, they can rake in money without even trying."

Xbox still cant keep up to the demand for their Xbox X/S and they have their games on PC and Game Pass, so you can play allot of Xbox games even on your android or iOS. I dont see this being a problem.