Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Valve making a Steam handheld console?

TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
Seems to be some rumblings over it. Not sure I would buy one but there must be a market for it.

SWG Bloodfin vet
Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

AlBQuirky

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Sometimes we need fantasy to survive reality 
    https://biturl.top/rU7bY3
    Beyond the shadows there's always light
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Honestly, just waiting on someone to make a 2 year release cycle cellphone handheld. I don't want to carry two devices.  Give me good gamepad form factor and I am good. 

Not likely to happen since Sony failed and the idea has become failed. Feel like Microsoft should have taken this spot with their mobile devices. Especially with their cloud gaming desires. People already spend over a thousand for cell phones.
    AlBQuirkyMMOExposed
  • achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    edited May 2021
    Yeah, it just doesn't seem worth it to have a handheld purely for Steam. If MS came out with a handheld that includes Gamepass I'd buy that in a minute.
    AlBQuirky
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited May 2021
    achesoma said:
    Yeah, it just doesn't seem worth it to have a handheld purely for Steam. If MS came out with a handheld that includes Gamepass I'd buy that in a minute.

IMO Series S should have been a handheld, like the Switch lite. It's less powerful, cheaper, lower resolution and fps, and since it's digital only it would have been a gamepass handheld that plays all the XB games. PS5 digital edition could have done the same.

I'm not sure about a Steam only handheld either because it will not play WoW, my non Steam copies of GW1 and 2, and will not run the 1k+ mods I use on Skyrim.
    AlBQuirky

• renstarensta Member RarePosts: 728
    Future console is the cell phone. 
    AlBQuirky

Basically clicking away text windows ruins every MMO, try to have fun instead of rushing things. Without story and lore all there is left is a bunch of mechanics.
    Add Multi-Quote

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    rensta said:
    Future console is the cell phone. 

don't you find it funny that cell phones already do everything PCs do and still cannot replace them? a cell phone will not replace a console either.
    AlBQuirky

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Is this marketing "trying to make me want something I don't need" again?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Whilst I wouldn't be surprised that someone at Valve is considering such a move, I won't hold my breath. Valve doesn't exactly have a good record of bringing things to market and they make so much money from Steam that it doesn't really matter how many projects fail.
    AlBQuirky
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    I would take a mobile system, but the games need to be functionally PS3.5 level if not PS4 level gameplay minimum. This includes the ability to play with large number of players in action games in a single map.
    AlBQuirky

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• LordMikeBedlamLordMikeBedlam Member UncommonPosts: 16
    Even if they did come out with a handheld, it would probably only have a handful of games until they could port others for the console. You might as well just use a laptop.
    "The bones of man. The brittle remnants of cosmic torment that once made him wonder if matter was Lucifer upward groping back to his God. And yet now, he knew better."
    😉🔫 - 🖕📿
    steam: hatchet130 psn: LordMikeBedlam Battlenet: glasgowgrin#1831