Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Torchlight III Receives New Class 'The Cursed Captain' And More in Today's Update | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 7,110

imageTorchlight III Receives New Class 'The Cursed Captain' And More in Today's Update | MMORPG.com

The latest Torchlight III update brings an entirely new class, the Cursed Captain. This free update is available now along with various quality of life improvements, new pets, a new contract, and more.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 14,099
    I started playing this with a friend a week or so ago. It’s part of the Xbox game pass so it was “Free”.

It’s a frustrating game because it has some potential to be fun but it’s just... sloppy. No way to trade items. When you run a phase dungeon only the first person to leave the instance ports back to the opening. The other person ports to the beginning of the zone...

Pets have rarities and skills but once you get a skill you can instantly give it to any pet so they are all the same just with different skills.

I dunno... it’s free so we are killing some time. Maybe this patch fixed some of that stuff.
    Albatroes

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671

I started playing this with a friend a week or so ago. It’s part of the Xbox game pass so it was “Free”.

It’s a frustrating game because it has some potential to be fun but it’s just... sloppy. No way to trade items. When you run a phase dungeon only the first person to leave the instance ports back to the opening. The other person ports to the beginning of the zone...

Pets have rarities and skills but once you get a skill you can instantly give it to any pet so they are all the same just with different skills.

I dunno... it’s free so we are killing some time. Maybe this patch fixed some of that stuff.

Was thinking of finally picking this up but it looks like I'll hold off for a bit. Thanks.
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 2,213

I didn't have that problem with phase dungeons when I was playing with my fiance, but that was on PC and awhile ago which may account for the difference.

I think pet rarity gives a better for the pet to have some of the rarer skills. Regardless, once you have them all pets just come down to a cosmetic option.

Perhaps it would be good for them to have bonuses randomly assigned from a pool based on the rarity of the pets to give each more distinctiveness.

Of course, players would then complain their build forced them to use a particular type of pet or some such, so I could see the developers not wanting to bother.
  • elveoneelveone Member RarePosts: 334
    Rare pets are skins and they indeed have better chance to give you a rare pet skill. Of course you don't want the pet itself to have stats associated with them because you don't want to use an ugly pet because of its stats.
    elveone said:
    Rare pets are skins and they indeed have better chance to give you a rare pet skill. Of course you don't want the pet itself to have stats associated with them because you don't want to use an ugly pet because of its stats.
    I don't?

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• ZenislavZenislav Member UncommonPosts: 195
    edited May 26
    For anyone wanting to play this game I advise you to spend your time on something else. Class at max level once you make good build feels boring, only end game is randomly created map that you farm over and over and over until you start bleeding from ears and that is it.

Even after finishing campaign you feel like there was more to come but will never as team behind this game left it in hands of Perfect World to create other projects.

It feels unfinished and clunky and this comes from someone who had high hopes for game and has 3 maxed out characters with perfect builds. So don't waste time like I did.
    FrodoFragins

elveone said:

I don't?

Impersonal "you" was used before. But you do? People ask for transmog systems for armor and weapons to avoid this very same problem so... do you really?
    elveone said:

elveone said:

I don't?

Impersonal "you" was used before. But you do? People ask for transmog systems for armor and weapons to avoid this very same problem so... do you really?
    Umm.. yeah I would like my pets to be unique and actually force choices.   Do I take the Eagle with skills XYZ or the Wolf with skills ABC. 

• Veexer_NuiVeexer_Nui Member UncommonPosts: 221
    Let me guess, you run around digging rivers for captain ship to follow you around? Like the train class :joy:
    FrodoFragins

Archeage EU - Nui

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,247
    Zenislav said:
    For anyone wanting to play this game I advise you to spend your time on something else. Class at max level once you make good build feels boring, only end game is randomly created map that you farm over and over and over until you start bleeding from ears and that is it.
    Of all of their blunders, end game is the largest.  But why fix that when you can release a new class?
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 2,213
    Zenislav said:
    Of all of their blunders, end game is the largest.  But why fix that when you can release a new class?

They did some work on the end game, in the Snow and Steam update.

Now they are on the spring update, which is the last item on their current roadmap. More was done than simply adding a new class:

elveone

elveone said:

elveone said:

I don't?

Umm.. yeah I would like my pets to be unique and actually force choices.   Do I take the Eagle with skills XYZ or the Wolf with skills ABC. 

OK, you want something that a lot of players don't, that's fair enough. The choice of what skills to choose is still there though, it is just a bit more unrestricted.
    edited May 27
    Zenislav said:

They did some work on the end game, in the Snow and Steam update.

Now they are on the spring update, which is the last item on their current roadmap. More was done than simply adding a new class:

Adding a new class is time consuming and won't help with attracting or keeping players.  They seem to be a VERY self indulgent development studio.  They spend time what they enjoy designing and ignore all of the negative reviews and lack of interest.  It's very odd.

Did Max ever make a state of the game video?  He was so gung ho before launch and both he and Tyler were very dismissive of the priority of a solid endgame.  I haven't seen either of them address the poor reviews or player numbers since then.

It would be easier to be patient if they at least articulated the problems with the game and provided a roadmap that made sense.  I guess getting that new RPG contract bought them an escape.
    elveone said:

elveone said:

elveone said:

I don't?

OK, you want something that a lot of players don't, that's fair enough. The choice of what skills to choose is still there though, it is just a bit more unrestricted.
    As the game was kind of a flop, maybe they should not have listened to those players that asked for this.   But I guess we will never know.   

elveone said:

elveone said:

elveone said:

I don't?

As the game was kind of a flop, maybe they should not have listened to those players that asked for this.   But I guess we will never know.   

Yeah, I would bet it was the limited amount of content and character skills and the overall buggyness of the game that did it in and not that you can choose how your pet looks freely.
    edited May 27
    Oh.  they also have abandoned future development on this game and didn't bother adding mod support for PC players.

https://www.torchlight3.com/en/news-article/11488893

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/nlat44/echtra_games_ceases_work_on_torchlight_3/

It's kind of sad that they are rewarded for making such a crummy product.  Reminds me of that Pagan Online failure.

Tyler was so out of touch and should not have been put in charge of this game.
    edited May 27
    elveone said:

elveone said:

elveone said:

elveone said:

I don't?

Yeah, I would bet it was the limited amount of content and character skills and the overall buggyness of the game that did it in and not that you can choose how your pet looks freely.
    Dunno, but as a new player going through it with a friend... the limited content has not impacted us yet.  The multiplayer issues (no trading, portal wonkiness, etc..) are major negatives, and for sure, the silly pet system is another negative.   We literally were talking and saying "Do you think these different pets are just skins?  NAH, no way they would do that.  Are you SURE?   Well fuck, I just read they are meaningless..."

If it weren't free we would never get to the part that limited content would affect us.

Have not played since the patch so I will see what changed.