Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ashes of Creation's Creative Director Explains What He Thinks Gets Players Hyped | MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• xMatroxxMatrox Member UncommonPosts: 6

Wizardry said:

Pvp will ruin this game and is an anti social mechanism.

Pvp is game disruption,again NEVER a good thing.

"RISK",pvp typically has ONE sided risk,the weak side absorbs ALL the risk while the zerg side has literally NO risk.This is NOT a risk versus reward system,this is a zerg side and a weak side and is a fail design for gaming.

and then we made clans and alliances to face zergs, game became massive multiplayer online with huge battles... nothing ordinary what we expected that pulled players for 20 years to play....Lineage 2
  • Haki88Haki88 Member UncommonPosts: 230
    I’m funding the project

If hes funding project, as we all heared 100000 times, why did he made kickstarter? To get more money? After kickstarter finished he opened website shop for what reason? Its already delayed 3+ years and we can buy costumes, again for what? For game which is going to be released in 4-5 years?

And about hype...

That is easy one, he promised on kickstarter what 99% players wants to hear, hired good known deveiver from aa to be aoc content creator then opened more positions for content creators, in early stage of development?? Together with them there are also non official content creators who are spamming videos everywhere including reddit/forum/discord etc PR is PR, good or bad. Spreading hype with 0 (ZERO) new content from these content creators. If he says hype is bad, so what is he doing to prevent it or atleast limit it? Nothing.

It really amazes me how guy can miss lets call it deadline (3+ years according to kickstarter), spend time making apoc and waste developers time for costumes to even further delay release of game. I wont even repeat again how restricted game is going to be (according to aoc wiki trade,auction, blablablabla).

Feedback...

From who you get ingame feedback? From players who paid 500$ and people who you give for free because there are "official something"? Amazing!

maskedweaselSlapshot1188
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    Haki88 said:
    I’m funding the project

If hes funding project, as we all heared 100000 times, why did he made kickstarter? To get more money? After kickstarter finished he opened website shop for what reason? Its already delayed 3+ years and we can buy costumes, again for what? For game which is going to be released in 4-5 years?

And about hype...

That is easy one, he promised on kickstarter what 99% players wants to hear, hired good known deveiver from aa to be aoc content creator then opened more positions for content creators, in early stage of development?? Together with them there are also non official content creators who are spamming videos everywhere including reddit/forum/discord etc PR is PR, good or bad. Spreading hype with 0 (ZERO) new content from these content creators. If he says hype is bad, so what is he doing to prevent it or atleast limit it? Nothing.

It really amazes me how guy can miss lets call it deadline (3+ years according to kickstarter), spend time making apoc and waste developers time for costumes to even further delay release of game. I wont even repeat again how restricted game is going to be (according to aoc wiki trade,auction, blablablabla).

Feedback...

From who you get ingame feedback? From players who paid 500$ and people who you give for free because there are "official something"? Amazing!

Also, as pointed out earlier... he took multiple million+ dollar Coronavirus Loans from the US Gov.  I suspect they, like most, will be forgiven.   That means that every single US taxpayer is "funding the project" whether we want to or not.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    This video was made in 2014. That would make him about 28 at the time. Not 18. So maybe he started at 18 but he stayed there for a decade or so.

Also, these are his own words from Reddit:
    when I turned 18 I decided to start working for a company called XanGo. I wasn't the "CEO" of XanGo as some people are saying, nor did I help create the company... I was just a normal sign up, and I created a website that, I used my marketing company to help promote and sell their juice and vitamins with.. By the time I was 20, I was selling a lot of the juice and vitamins, and rose to be one of the top sellers of the company. About 7 years ago I moved into investments and real estate, which is the source of a majority of my success. Many people consider the MLM industry to be a pyramid scheme, but there are actually good MLMs out there, that can provide people with good incomes. I was lucky to find a good one that had great products, and that allowed me at a young age to become successful enough to begin investing and buying real estate.

Compare those comments with the ones in the article...  I mean, he LITERALLY says he started working at a company called Xango.  Then he says they were an MLM company.  In the OP News article he says "I was never an employee of an MLM company" He is LITERALLY contradicting his own words.  But nobody ever challenges him.  They ask a question, he gives an answer and they move on..  This is just one example of it.  Stuff that is easy to find (took 5 minutes) but nobody wants to look.  Just believe what he says.

There is a lot of things wrong with this post.

For starters, for anyone that has worked for these MLM companies, like anyone that had parents that sold Mary Kay, Stanly, Amway, or a slew of other Home Based and personal care products, or even just bought the products for personal use and opted to become a distributor for the discount, because, it was the easier path, and just used that to do most shopping, including holiday shopping.

Anyway, anyone who knew anything about these companies would know that you never are an employee of the company if you are only involved in the sales, you are an independent contractor. This is why, many people would do things, like sell Amway & Mary Kay, at the same time, and there be no issues, because they were independent, they could carry and sell whatever they wanted.

So, lets talk about MLM's. Not sure how they got played off as the evil empire, but, my family, including my aunts and uncles, even cousins, and yes, myself, after selling Amway for 30+ years, we all could clearly say we were never employed by Amway, because we never had a direct employed job with them, we all always independent contractors.

Now someone could say that I worked for an MLM, because my whole family was into it, and when I turned 18, my name was put down as a distributor as well, and I would often work with my parents, selling, doing pitches, hosting parties, and the like, and I would make my cut from the sales, but I personally never recruited anyone into the system, does that mean I am some MLM Mongol, absolutely not.

So, when you look at it, guy is not lying, and maybe he really made most of his fortune in Real Estate, but also, like any good son, who wanted to help their parents and family, he was a involved in the family side hustle selling some Home/Beauty product with his mom as well, and doing what he could to help her out, and made some bank there as well, but not as much as his real estate.

Personally I have no idea what the fuss is here.
    ScotChampie
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• WrekktWrekkt Member UncommonPosts: 29
    edited May 2021
    Shariff is a weasel and how he got his money will always be shady. He's a wordsmith and likes to mask things or overcomplicated simple conversations. From my personal experience playing with him there's one thing I can tell you with the dude (2+ in his clan/guilds, etc). He's a gamer, and he truly cares about games. He was a huge P2W'er, but honestly everyone was spending money he just had a lot more of it - Archeage, Lineage 2 you literally can't find more P2W based games.

There's a couple things I can say with certainty:

1- The game is going to have a ton of cosmetics, Stephen loves that shit.
    2- He's true to his philosophy: if he says there's no p2w, he means it
    3- The game will get launched: will it be everyone's type of game? Probably not, but he wouldn't be wasting his time if he didn't have something viable.

I typically shit all over him because I personally think he's barely worth the air he breathes, but for those of you looking for your next generic MMO copy+paste amalgamation you're going to get something from him.
    Post edited by Wrekkt on
    Slapshot1188
  • XatshXatsh Member RarePosts: 451
    In archeage you had to whale or you were simply trash tier. He had money and liked the game, outside the p2w, so he whaled. I cannot fault him for that at all. I also spent 2xs the money i spent in ffxiv since 1.0 launch in the 2yrs i played AA seriously and i detest p2w but it was just required to play the game.

F2P games are just that expensive to main as a mmo. $100-$200/month is normal on a f2p game.

As for next gen mmo. I trully belive we do not need a redesign or next gen atm, we need to go back to the basics of what made mmos a unique genre and something special. We need to stop building on what we have because what we have is complete shit atm, unredemable garbage. So take the best components of mmos of mmos past and put them in a true non themepark massive world setting with modern ui, battle system, and graphics. Sounds like a win to me.
    Sensai
    Wrekkt said:
    Shariff is a weasel and how he got his money will always be shady. He's a wordsmith and likes to mask things or overcomplicated simple conversations. From my personal experience playing with him there's one thing I can tell you with the dude (2+ in his clan/guilds, etc). He's a gamer, and he truly cares about games. He was a huge P2W'er, but honestly everyone was spending money he just had a lot more of it - Archeage, Lineage 2 you literally can't find more P2W based games.

There's a couple things I can say with certainty:

1- The game is going to have a ton of cosmetics, Stephen loves that shit.
    2- He's true to his philosophy: if he says there's no p2w, he means it
    3- The game will get launched: will it be everyone's type of game? Probably not, but he wouldn't be wasting his time if he didn't have something viable.

I typically shit all over him because I think personally think he's barely worth the air he breathes, but for those of you looking for your next generic MMO copy+paste amalgamation MMO you're going to get something from him.
    That is pretty much my take as well.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• WrekktWrekkt Member UncommonPosts: 29
    edited May 2021
    Xatsh said:
    In archeage you had to whale or you were simply trash tier. He had money and liked the game, outside the p2w, so he whaled. I cannot fault him for that at all. I also spent 2xs the money i spent in ffxiv since 1.0 launch in the 2yrs i played AA seriously and i detest p2w but it was just required to play the game.

F2P games are just that expensive to main as a mmo. $100-$200/month is normal on a f2p game.

As for next gen mmo. I trully belive we do not need a redesign or next gen atm, we need to go back to the basics of what made mmos a unique genre and something special. We need to stop building on what we have because what we have is complete shit atm, unredemable garbage. So take the best components of mmos of mmos past and put them in a true non themepark massive world setting with modern ui, battle system, and graphics. Sounds like a win to me.

lol @Xatsh - Different kind of p2w man. There's normal people, and then there's "Sorcerer from WhiteOrder". I remember in Lineage 2 he spent close to $60k in a month.
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    I was hyped enough to back it. But I lost most of my hype with their battle royale. Even if their reasons/excuses at the time were legit, I just didn't like the combat/gameplay of it. I spent most of my time trying to get in to a match and a minute or two walking around before I'd get one or two shot by someone. I'm just not good at those games and don't find them particularly enjoyable. I've played in the recent alphas and the combat is pretty different... but not exciting. There's nothing particularly exciting in anything I've done in the game. I've uninstalled it from my PC and may check it out when it's closer to launch (whenever that may be). I'd love to be hyped but other than pretty-ish graphics, I haven't found anything to be hyped about. Some of the game concepts are cool but they don't really seem to be reflected in the alphas.
    maskedweaselSlapshot1188Haki88
    Samhael said:
    I was hyped enough to back it. But I lost most of my hype with their battle royale. Even if their reasons/excuses at the time were legit, I just didn't like the combat/gameplay of it. I spent most of my time trying to get in to a match and a minute or two walking around before I'd get one or two shot by someone. I'm just not good at those games and don't find them particularly enjoyable. I've played in the recent alphas and the combat is pretty different... but not exciting. There's nothing particularly exciting in anything I've done in the game. I've uninstalled it from my PC and may check it out when it's closer to launch (whenever that may be). I'd love to be hyped but other than pretty-ish graphics, I haven't found anything to be hyped about. Some of the game concepts are cool but they don't really seem to be reflected in the alphas.
    Based on what you saw.  How far would you say they are from a realistic release?  I have heard Christmas 2023.  Does that jive with what you experienced?

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Haki88 said:
    I’m funding the project

And about hype...

Feedback...

Also, as pointed out earlier... he took multiple million+ dollar Coronavirus Loans from the US Gov.  I suspect they, like most, will be forgiven.   That means that every single US taxpayer is "funding the project" whether we want to or not.

That's rough, brings back memories of Curt Schilling and 38 Studios all over again.