Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The RPG Files: Biomutant Review | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599

imageThe RPG Files: Biomutant Review | MMORPG.com

Set in a post-human apocalyptic world, Biomutant puts you in the shoes of a humainoid rat-creature to build a new society from ashes. But how does the new open-world RPG from THQ Nordic stack up? Here is our review of Biomutant.

Read the full story here

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    So happens it is these tw overy games that i checked out a week or so ago,this and Days gone.
    I left thinking Biomutant didn't appeal to me and that if either i might play Days Gone.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    This is actually one of the most positive reviews I've heard. This game is getting absolutely hammered in the reviews from both industry and independent reviewers.

Good thing I didn't preorder. I was really interested in the concept. But if the best thing they can offer is a AA Ubisoftian open world game, I'm gonna have to pass. I'm not into the by-the-numbers open worlds.
    TacticalZombeh
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited May 2021
    I won't argue with this review since we all like different things, but based on everything i've heard i personally don't think this game gets a higher score than Days Gone which has a 7.0 on these forums.

• KratierKratier Member RarePosts: 626
    im still holding out for this and still hyped, a lot of these reviewers would rate indie gems like a 2/5 or 3/5 , but end up giving cyberpunk a 9/10 or last of us 2 a 10/10 goty etc

ill wait and see
    [Deleted User]Hatefull
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

Aeander said:

This is actually one of the most positive reviews I've heard. This game is getting absolutely hammered in the reviews from both industry and independent reviewers.

Good thing I didn't preorder. I was really interested in the concept. But if the best thing they can offer is a AA Ubisoftian open world game, I'm gonna have to pass. I'm not into the by-the-numbers open worlds.

I've said this before but I like this guy's reviews a lot.

check it out.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • xdave78xdave78 Member UncommonPosts: 105
    edited May 2021
    7.5? The 3 tests I read before where 45% / 5/10 and 56%....
    Not for 60 bucks, baby.
  • TacticalZombehTacticalZombeh Member UncommonPosts: 430
    edited May 2021
    I watched about half the ACG review then jumped around it (personal opinion, the reviewer's voice grates on my nerves).
    Skill-Up gave the game a definitie Do-Not-Buy, which suprised me because he'll often find some charm to a game, but he didn't like the combat (among other things) and that is part of the primary game loop.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    edited May 2021
    Watching that I know I cannot play this with these old hands. Cannot move my hand fast to play so although I would love to play I have to pass. Really like the quirky style and art.

edited May 2021
    I watched about half the ACG review then jumped around it (personal opinion, the reviewer's voice grates on my nerves).
    Skill-Up gave the game a definitie Do-Not-Buy, which suprised me because he'll often find some charm to a game, but he didn't like the combat (among other things) and that is part of the primary game loop.
    I find ACG's too bland and "objective" for my liking. He tries to quantify everything about the game in some kind of formula, and it makes it hard for me to discern how closely his preferences match my own.

The Skill Up/Laymen Gaming review was a huge part of my decision to not buy.
    Post edited by Aeander on
    TacticalZombeh
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Aeander said:
    I find ACG's too bland and "objective" for my lacking. He tries to quantify everything about the game in some kind of formula, and it makes it hard for me to discern how closely his preferences match my own.

That's what I like about ACG's reviews, he doesn't blast stuff, he doesn't gush (usually) he gives these games a thorough kicking of the tires, talks about what he thinks is good and what he thinks doesn't work.

I'm not looking for an ally in the gaming world to tell me what to buy. I'm looking for someone to objectively tell me what they think works, doesn't, and why.

To me, that's the best type of video game review.

otherwise "sigh" you get Angry Joe. Turns the whole process into a circus for entertainment.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Sovrath said:
    Aeander said:
    I find ACG's too bland and "objective" for my lacking. He tries to quantify everything about the game in some kind of formula, and it makes it hard for me to discern how closely his preferences match my own.

That's what I like about ACG's reviews, he doesn't blast stuff, he doesn't gush (usually) he gives these games a thorough kicking of the tires, talks about what he thinks is good and what he thinks doesn't work.

I'm not looking for an ally in the gaming world to tell me what to buy. I'm looking for someone to objectively tell me what they think works, doesn't, and why.

To me, that's the best type of video game review.

otherwise "sigh" you get Angry Joe. Turns the whole process into a circus for entertainment.
    Except that I usually trust Angry Joe reviews, because I know his tastes usually align with my own. Not the sports games, but the RPGs, action games, an adventure games.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    IDK why anyone would take any review and use that to determine a games worth when yo ucan just watch LIVE streamers playing the actual game.

A review SHOULD always have a gameplay video to present it's point of view because words alone cannot give true meaning to what is actually going on.

When i watched the actual gameplay i was turned off within a minute,there is nothing that interests me in there.All the game is to me is just a different skin,a silly skin.
    A very linear laned quest/mission game,we've never seen one of those before...zzzzzzzzzz.

A small thing that ruins it is every interaction takes you out of the game and into a closeup with the SW 2 choice idea.It is a very low effort game design.

Somersaults?Pffftt you can do side flip somersaults..grrr,devs love making their game look stupid.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Wizardry said:
    IDK why anyone would take any review and use that to determine a games worth when yo ucan just watch LIVE streamers playing the actual game.

A review SHOULD always have a gameplay video to present it's point of view because words alone cannot give true meaning to what is actually going on.

When i watched the actual gameplay i was turned off within a minute,there is nothing that interests me in there.All the game is to me is just a different skin,a silly skin.
    A very linear laned quest/mission game,we've never seen one of those before...zzzzzzzzzz.

A small thing that ruins it is every interaction takes you out of the game and into a closeup with the SW 2 choice idea.It is a very low effort game design.

Somersaults?Pffftt you can do side flip somersaults..grrr,devs love making their game look stupid.
    Biomutant is a game that previews/streams deceptively well, because the combat looks better than it apparently actually is.
    HatefullTacticalZombeh
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    edited May 2021

Aeander said:

Wizardry said:

Biomutant is a game that previews/streams deceptively well, because the combat looks better than it apparently actually is.

This. If @Wizardry actually played games he might have caught that.

Anyway this seems to be the problem for consumers, it looks good in streams not so much when you get hands on. I gave this a pass, I like a lot of things about it on the surface, but I am not so excited about the game play.

However, we are talking about reviewers that gave Cyberpunk 9/10 so maybe it is worth a look. I might as well wait until it is in the bargain bin anyway.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• StevenWeberStevenWeber MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 110
    edited May 2021
    Hatefull said:

Aeander said:

Wizardry said:

Anyway this seems to be the problem for consumers, it looks good in streams not so much when you get hands on. I gave this a pass, I like a lot of things about it on the surface, but I am not so excited about the game play.

However, we are talking about reviewers that gave Cyberpunk 9/10 so maybe it is worth a look. I might as well wait until it is in the bargain bin anyway.
    The combat isn't bad, per se. What the combat turns out to be, is unconventional, and I think that is what most people don't like about it. The ranged combat is hard to get used to, as there really isn't a way to easily aim your reticle, and swapping in and out of melee, range and psionics isn't simple to do without practice. There's also a somewhat complex combo system, and some "bullet time" slow-mo that can sometimes help in certain situations. 

Overall the game is unique. There really is a lot to like, but it isn't a game that you can intuitively pick up and play. It doesn't follow any traditional control scheme to make you feel at home out of the gate. I think that's really what hurts the game the most when it comes to combat. 
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다