Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I need some advice on Path of Exile

cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
edited February 2021 in General Gaming
I died 6 times yesterday because I was foolish enough to think I could survive a reflect map. I had also placed a Niko master mission in there so I had to finish it since I have almost depleted all his dailies. I go in and a Delirium pops right at the entrance and I die immediately. I mean not even a chance to hit one button and I am dead. So I go back in dead again. That map managed to kill me 4 times. I then go do some heist where I have never died before and promptly die two more times losing all that wonderful loot  :s

I have never died to a Delirium nor a Heist either. I began thinking I may not be suited for melee abilities. Even a semi pseudo one like molten strike is still getting too close to a pack and I was never scared of a pack but now I am running around like a chicken with its head cut off after losing my confidence. Not that I had much to start with. I am also terrible at musical flask as I am more the press whatever button in panic kind of gal. So any build that requires pressing flasks in concert is a bust for a klutz like me. The only good thing I got off yesterday's debacle was the Blight maps I sold. I cannot even hope to do a blight map, I can only manage normal blight encounters on the maps but a whole Blight map is way too difficult for person that falls apart and all plans fly out of my head. Cannot imagine managing towers in that scenario (shudder).

I also have far too little HP at 5k. I think this is the other problem but managing all the resist including chaos which I have only at 31%, all the elemental are overcapped makes getting life on the rings very hard because I have a lot of chaos resists on them. I suppose this is all a slow decline in my ability to survive. I actually finally got a 6 link on my first ever toon this juggernaut and I got that by buying a 6 link chest and using scouring and alchemy orbs until I got some good life and chaos resistance on it. Yeah my sub par gear is probably another fatal flaw in this sad tale.

My reflexes are bad and I play very slowly. I cannot play the Necromancer I used to play because the pets are very laggy and it is a slideshow. So I was hoping to try traps or some other build that might not be so laggy and I can stay away from the mobs and perhaps finally get to the top tier maps. My goal is that. Just higher tier maps. I doubt I can kill the top bosses but just managing a Tier 15 map is my goal.

What would you suggest I try. Ice traps for the slow may be or some other build that slows enemies or should I persevere with the molten strike. What I love about the Juggernaut is that I am finally doing all the Trials for Ascendency to do the Uber labyrinth far more easily than on the Necromancer. The Juggernaut has way more room for mistakes when traps are involved. I would like to finally get the 4th Ascendency on one toon. I have never managed the Uber labyrinth because I never finished the Trials on the Necromancer. I have to say this Molten Strike Juggernaut has been a very nice ride so far.

It is kind of humorous how diligently bad I am at playing this game I love. I feel I enjoy it in spite of my pathetic skills at playing because it is a great game and it tests me constantly and I enjoy the challenge in spite of being so dreadful at it. So I just want to achieve some success. Perhaps I should just persevere with the Jugernaut Molten Striker, what do you think?

Chamber of Chains
[Deleted User]kitarad

Comments

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    I have never managed the Uber labyrinth because I never finished the Trials on the Necromancer.

Are you aware of /global 820?  The chat channel of choice to find people selling completed trials for tips?  I usually just give as chaos orb or two

I would say trying mines or totems is a good idea to try as they are far more forgiving and tend to require a lot less flask use. 

cheyaneKyleran
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    edited February 2021
    I have never managed the Uber labyrinth because I never finished the Trials on the Necromancer.

Are you aware of /global 820?  The chat channel of choice to find people selling completed trials for tips?  I usually just give as chaos orb or two

I would say trying mines or totems is a good idea to try as they are far more forgiving and tend to require a lot less flask use. 

I have only Burning Rage left and I need to complete them myself for the Goddess thingy and have a little pride lah hehe.

I don't understand the completed trials part don't you have to go through their portal or do you mean they open that portal next to the completion plaque?

I wasn't even aware there were other global channel that had those. I must get off the one Eternalknowledge is on. It is a sausage fest in that channel.

Do you have a good channel suggestion where RiseofthePenis doesn't come on either to show off his gear.

Totem means I have to play that balding chap, he's the only one I have not tried yet. Have a toon of every type except that one.
    [Deleted User]
    Chamber of Chains
    cheyane said:

I have only Burning Rage left and I need to complete them myself for the Goddess thingy and have a little pride lah hehe.

I don't understand the completed trials part don't you have to go through their portal or do you mean they open that portal next to the completion plaque?

I wasn't even aware there were other global channel that had those. I must get off the one Eternalknowledge is on. It is a sausage fest in that channel.

Do you have a good channel suggestion where RiseofthePenis doesn't come on either to show off his gear.

Totem means I have to play that balding chap, he's the only one I have not tried yet. Have a toon of every type except that one.

So the trials show up in that channel in two forms - completed and uncompleted.  And yes, they open a portal next to the trial portal.  they usually say "tips appreciated" and I tip after going through it, they usually wait in their base.

There are just a few global channels with specific goals like that.  I believe it shows the current channel you are in and you can change to say channel 10 with /global 10.  It's just a crapshoot but the lower channels usually have more jibber jabber.

I believe that mines tend to be stronger these days, but they require a placement and a explosion where totems just need to be placed.  I never tried a mine build as I switched to necros after totems were nerfed.

This is an old list I found online, they may have changed and there are probably others added.  I never joined a guild but that may be an option as well for better chat.

The Global Chat Channel #820 is the official Masters Group Questing Channel.

The Global Chat Channel #100 is the official Guild Recruitment Channel.

The Global Chat Channel #150 is the official Mapping Chat Channel.

The Trade Chat Channel #800 is the official Currency-Only Trade Channel.

cheyane
    I attracted a bot that is terribly exciting.

Well today I continued with the Juggernaut inching closer to another level hoping things improve.
    [Deleted User]Kyleran
    Chamber of Chains
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    edited February 2021
    I think you've hit a wall. I came across this too with my builds for some reason I start dying after a certain tier of map. In this regard you have to revise your gear and skills at this point. 

Following builds like I do many times I have discovered has its weakness namely that the build does not work for me. I cannot get the items like the build required, hence I fall short of what it needed but I convince myself this is enough until I hit that wall. It is not enough obviously which is why I was dying. Sometimes even the cheaper suggested options for the build don't work for me either so I should have wisely dropped the build but the presentation and video was so good I had to try it.

I have quit after one bad session where I think I kept dying and since I lost all the experience for that level I had no more to lose so I soldiered on ahead until I lost all the portals. I just gave up after that. Sometimes you need to take break. Unfortunately it was months before I went back.

It is not wrong to quit nor is it wrong to keep trying. I just felt I was at the end of a rope that was slowly turning into a noose, I was feeling bad and angry so I decided a break was best. On hindsight I should not have stayed away for so long. I think one week would have improved my perspective considerably.
    Theocritus[Deleted User]cheyane

edited February 2021
    I find melee to be very tricky the higher tier you go.  The game is very unforgiving and it doesn't help that GGG refuses to offer a combat log to give you an idea of what killed you.  You can be super skilled but the lack of knowledge alone will kill you. 

The people that play a lot often make a starter build with very few, or very cheap, required items.  Use that to explore the atlas and collect currency for the second build that is stronger but needs certain items.
    Post edited by FrodoFragins on
    kitaradKyleran[Deleted User]cheyane[Deleted User]
    I must agree that not knowing what killed you is one of the most insidious aspects of this game. You are left floundering over what happened and unable to actually reconstruct your untimely and might I add unfair death. It provides no lesson aside from the fact that you did something wrong and melee is especially unforgiving in this respect.
    Kyleran[Deleted User]cheyane

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited February 2021
    kitarad said:
    I must agree that not knowing what killed you is one of the most insidious aspects of this game. You are left floundering over what happened and unable to actually reconstruct your untimely and might I add unfair death. It provides no lesson aside from the fact that you did something wrong and melee is especially unforgiving in this respect.
    Aye, not having a combat log was extremely frustrating, especially when I hit a wall at level 94 or so.

I would inch myself up towards 95, once even getting to about 94.80 only to have several untimely and seemingly random deaths from unknown forces.

I actually tried for about two or three weeks to break that barrier but no matter whether I tried maps or delving, something killed me and any enthusiasm I had for playing it.

Walked away from game about 1.5 years ago, doubtful I'll ever go back, just not what I normally do.

[Deleted User]cheyane

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    kitarad said:
    Aye, not having a combat log was extremely frustrating, especially when I hit a wall at level 94 or so.

I would inch myself up towards 95, once even getting to about 94.80 only to have several untimely and seemingly random deaths from unknown forces.

I actually tried for about two or three weeks to break that barrier but no matter whether I tried maps or delving, something killed me and any enthusiasm I had for playing it.

Walked away from game about 1.5 years ago, doubtful I'll ever go back, just not what I normally do.

So I'm not going to try to get you to give it another try.  But there are two things I've done when dying too much.

1) If you're not that far from the next level just make sure to take safe map affixes and even lower the tier until you ding

2) Just accept that the extra skill tree point isn't a HUGE deal in the 90's and it's OK to just stay at a certain level and progress in other ways
    cheyane
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    Good luck!

This is pretty hilarious to me.  I'm probably so far down the totem pole from you all.  Never managed to finish the final Kitava fight, and that's with playing since beta.  

Bad builds, little research, inadequate gearing, etc. My own fault really.  But the whole Supremo Boss fight reeks of simon-sez stuff.  Those whole setups become just too boring to me.   
    cheyane

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

Good luck!

This is pretty hilarious to me.  I'm probably so far down the totem pole from you all.  Never managed to finish the final Kitava fight, and that's with playing since beta.  

Bad builds, little research, inadequate gearing, etc. My own fault really.  But the whole Supremo Boss fight reeks of simon-sez stuff.  Those whole setups become just too boring to me.   
    That final fight has always been a bit hard for me. I always almost die like a few times on the character but I spam my flasks and I try to stay on the extreme right or left of his arms. 

On a character that has pets, totems or traps this might be fine to hide away but on my marauder/juggernaut I was unable to do much damage although between my Vaal Ancestral Warchief and my Vaal Detonate Dead he finally did die.

I tried hiding behind Innocence the first time and he got eaten. That was an all round bad choice but I blundered through it with my Necromancer and Juggernaut. Don't ask me how though. I have no idea because I spent most of it going oh shit! oh shit!....

My update has been to cowardly drop to the lower tier maps for now and do some delving and heist with a sprinkling of incursion. I got a nice Temple of Atzoatl opened with even a proper way opened to the apex. First time I did the temple I had no strategy at all and I managed to upgrade the traps and guardhouse rooms and I did not open the way to the apex. Second time round and my god the time limit is nuts to use the stones on the right door, I managed to actually kill the Apex boss , he was quite a nasty piece of work and he dropped shit loot. What a waste of anticipation.

I had none of the good rooms so was a whole big fat zero and almost died to all the stupid traps and packed rooms full of upgraded mobs thanks to upgrading of the guardhouse. How stupid can you be I kept asking myself as I ran for my life behind a wall.

I must say with the introduction of all the league mechanics to the game in standard the game has become infinitely more interesting. If you are fed up with one aspect you can go try another and this must be the appeal of the game in my humble opinion.

I am studying some mines and totem builds to sink my teeth into but I am loath to drop the Juggernaut because I do love his gruff and mean demeanour. I also spent a lot of orbs trying to get some decent rolls on his gear and am reluctant to give up the investment in the character and I am trying to level up a bit more to see if it can get better. If all else fails it is to the Gulag with him.

Chamber of Chains
    Good luck!

I'll be honest, I don't see any telegraphs for when kitava does certain attacks.  One way to cheese it is to leave a portal open and take it when the entire ground is covered.  And wait to come back after it dissolves. :)

My biggest gripe with the game is the amount of visual diarrhea on the screen at any times and the poor way the game tries to warn you.

I always use a guide for builds these days and even condense and convert them to a document just before the season starts.  I could come up with basic builds on my own, but knowing all of the possible uniques and cluster trees is too much now lol
    cheyane
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    Good luck!

I'll be honest, I don't see any telegraphs for when kitava does certain attacks.  One way to cheese it is to leave a portal open and take it when the entire ground is covered.  And wait to come back after it dissolves. :)

My biggest gripe with the game is the amount of visual diarrhea on the screen at any times and the poor way the game tries to warn you.

I always use a guide for builds these days and even condense and convert them to a document just before the season starts.  I could come up with basic builds on my own, but knowing all of the possible uniques and cluster trees is too much now lol
    Thanks for the advice!  May have to try it.

Yeah, I investigated a few major builds once, and was really impressed with the detail and cleverness.  When things reset in the future, I may try to take an advanced alt and respec 'em to an 'approved' design.

Apparently, last season, I lucked into a good cyclone build, but it appears to have gotten nerfed.  

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

edited February 2021
    I've reached the end of my patience. Dying and losing 10% is a lot of experience and some I have spent a whole day gathering and 3 deaths is 30% and I was almost to the next level. This is so frustrating. 

I remember now this feeling and why I quit the Necromancer I played before. I shouldn't have come back. Big mistake.

People who get to level 95 and above one death could cause them days of work. I am only at my late 80's and I'm already chafing. Most deaths have been like instant. There is no way for me to know either what went wrong. /sigh why did I do this again.
    Kylerankitarad
    Chamber of Chains
    cheyane said:
    I've reached the end of my patience. Dying and losing 10% is a lot of experience and some I have spent a whole day gathering and 3 deaths is 30% and I was almost to the next level. This is so frustrating. 

I remember now this feeling and why I quit the Necromancer I played before. I shouldn't have come back. Big mistake.

People who get to level 95 and above one death could cause them days of work. I am only at my late 80's and I'm already chafing. Most deaths have been like instant. There is no way for me to know either what went wrong. /sigh why did I do this again.
    Yep, exactly the point I reached after a couple of weeks stuck at level 94....

Still not interested in going back to that.
    kitarad[Deleted User]

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Good luck on your next build or if you decide to quit RIP Path of Exile.

• TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    Yea, that exp loss is stupid.  It really only punishes the lesser skilled and/or casuals, for obvious reasons.

Really, I want to reach level 100 so I never have to worry about that crap again.  At least on that character.  Can't even try to do all the end game bosses they keep adding to the game due to the exp loss risk on dying (and you can die VERY fast to the end game bosses)
    Yea, that exp loss is stupid.  It really only punishes the lesser skilled and/or casuals, for obvious reasons.

Really, I want to reach level 100 so I never have to worry about that crap again.  At least on that character.  Can't even try to do all the end game bosses they keep adding to the game due to the exp loss risk on dying (and you can die VERY fast to the end game bosses)
    At this point it's a relic of D2 that Chris Wilson has clung to.  Early on POE didn't have an endgame and so it sort of made sense to make getting to level 100 an achievement.  At this point it just pushes people away.
    Kyleran
  • UNH0LYEV1LUNH0LYEV1L Member UncommonPosts: 571
    The whole point of the death system is to challenge you to show you really understand the game when you get to ~level 95. 

The deaths you described were easily avoidable to be honest. You may be frustrated hearing that, but you could have rerolled the map to not have reflect or if it was corrupted you could have used a Sibyl's lament ring to mitigate the reflection damage.  Furthermore you could have spec'ed into Soul of Yagul with the click of a button on your Pantheon tree for even more reduced reflect damage taken.

Don't get me wrong, its a complex game and we could have a chat for probably days on end about every single little thing you could have done to improve your build, decision making, etc. But thats the fun of this game, realizing there is so much to learn and understand and then putting it to good use.
    edited May 2021
    The game is very unforgiving and it doesn't help that GGG refuses to offer a combat log to give you an idea of what killed you.  You can be super skilled but the lack of knowledge alone will kill you. 
    Welcome to the forums.

I've always suspected the reason for this is because the game's random lag would be the number one killer.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited May 2021
    Kyleran said:
    The game is very unforgiving and it doesn't help that GGG refuses to offer a combat log to give you an idea of what killed you.  You can be super skilled but the lack of knowledge alone will kill you. 
    Welcome to the forums.

I've always suspected the reason for this is because the game's random lag would be the number one killer.

Last Epoch doesn't have a log but it has a death screen that tells you what killed you including the type of attack (fire, lightning, etc.)

It's one of the thing that POE refugees always rave about.

It's still in beta so there isn't much of a death penalty at the moment although they've said there will be some - hopefully not XP loss though.

Even the death in hardcore mode is relatively mild compared to other ARPGs: it's not a permadeath but just a removal from HC mode and your character is moved to regular mode.
    kitarad
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

edited May 2021
    Quick @Kyleran go and un-'agree' that bot does not deserve an accolade from you. These bots have gotten devious. Doubt that is even flaggable.

Yup Last Epoch is looking better and better.
    [Deleted User]

Fixed
    [Deleted User]kitarad