Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Phantasy Star Online 2: New Genesis Global Beta - The Good and the Bad | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599

imagePhantasy Star Online 2: New Genesis Global Beta - The Good and the Bad | MMORPG.com

When it was first announced, Phantasy Star Online 2: New Genesis had somewhat of a confusing pitch. Despite so many similarities between the nearly 10-year-old PSO2 and the updated New Genesis versions, the game plays, and feels, much more like a sequel than a continuation or expansion.

Read the full story here

Comments

• CroixAT2CroixAT2 Member UncommonPosts: 7
    couldnt agree more with the article...
    i would also point it out that the engine is dx11 based and quite old as is now... with dx12 or vulkan, the system reqs could be lowered and visuals upgraded at the same time... dx11 is pretty restricted for an open world game...
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    Dynamic content in an open world zone enough to sell me on it (I mean, it is free, after all).
    Roin
  • genova2809genova2809 Member UncommonPosts: 47
    personnaly the only VERY VERY bad thing i have found at the actual state of the game is the ITEM REQUIREMENT FOR HEALING ABILITY ! having to move around for NOTHING wasting time on DPS & HEALING to gather items for me is a very bad thing & im playing techer on PSO2 from well 8 years :(
    iamspamicus
  • koyutakotakoyutakota Member UncommonPosts: 24
    i dont think is any different from other games where you dont play a healing class and you have to use items to heal yourself. least you can pick them up and keep fighting instead of running back to town and rebuy the items at the shop
    maskedweasel
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    personnaly the only VERY VERY bad thing i have found at the actual state of the game is the ITEM REQUIREMENT FOR HEALING ABILITY ! having to move around for NOTHING wasting time on DPS & HEALING to gather items for me is a very bad thing & im playing techer on PSO2 from well 8 years :(
    I'm not sure I understand,  are you saying that techers can't use resta anymore to heal in pso2ngs? 

• ArchandesArchandes Member UncommonPosts: 41

On the other hand, you can carry up to 10 said (also got chances to get increased via skill point..who knows) and heal the whole area altogether.

Also this system prevent someone to turn into resta healbot monster which able to shrug almost every damage that didn't end up 1 shot the user (that's why resta got nerfed real bad on spesific mission like divide quest)
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Will be doing this one on the Xbox. Its the right risk level IMO
  • bgzgamerbgzgamer Member UncommonPosts: 127
    Great article and i agree... im a little worried that there isnt much more to NG besides what was shown... If the game is released with such little content, it is going to struggle.
  • DAOWAceDAOWAce Member UncommonPosts: 432
    edited May 2021
    I thought the game was going to be in development for half a year longer.. then found out the release date is JUNE. THIS YEAR. NEXT MONTH.

The beta felt like a tech demo, even worse than FFXIV 1.0. --EDIT: Heck, now writing this I'm reminded of ANTHEM. IT FEELS LIKE ANTHEM.--

Except unlike FFXIV 1.0, it's full of microtransactions for basic things... the same things that plagued PSO2 and were extremely archaic and consumer unfriendly.. except this time we get a loot-box like scratch ticket screen!!

The beta made me want to play more, but in a future beta with more time in the oven. Seeing the release date afterward? Saying I'm disappointed would be an understatement.

It's not ready, at all.
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    edited May 2021
    Don't really understand the worries about the content. Certainly not the first, nor last game to provide limited content in a closed beta. I was watching some footage from MMOByte and in the comments he was agreeing with others that people were complaining ingame (and even people reveiwing the beta) due to lack of content. This was a test, not a free access for the whole game...

Too early to judge imo.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    I got my summoner to level 75 and then I stopped playing. I enjoyed it.
    Chamber of Chains
  • NeoyoshiNeoyoshi Member RarePosts: 1,141
    edited May 2021
    Eh, it was okey, although the character creator for New Genesis felt jankier then the one for Vanilla PSO2.

On the graphical tech side, It could use more polish, I have a beast rig and distant objects had issues rendering properly- which means a lot of the textures are baked server-side (which sucks).

Fishing on Gilgamesh since 2013
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    The game has way to many restrictions which people just ignore. One being key binding.