Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New World cash shop to go P2W with boosts etc?

13»

Comments

• RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639
    Mendel said:

I fully admit that I may be biased against Amazon.  I blame them for the disappearance of brick-and-mortar book stores, my former favorite places.  Let's just say I have yet to see them leave money on the table.  I am willing to be amazed.

Everyone should be biased against Amazon IMHO
    Single best thing I spend money on every year is my Prime membership, I'll never understand the cultish hate of a company that offers a great service.
    KyleranSpiider

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Mendel said:

I fully admit that I may be biased against Amazon.  I blame them for the disappearance of brick-and-mortar book stores, my former favorite places.  Let's just say I have yet to see them leave money on the table.  I am willing to be amazed.

Single best thing I spend money on every year is my Prime membership, I'll never understand the cultish hate of a company that offers a great service.
    They treat their employees really badly and under pay them, when they are making billions and can afford to pay them well. To keep up to their requirement on the job, they cant take breaks. Not even time to go to the bathroom. Many often walk around with empty water bottles to pee in them. 

They undercut markets to the point it kills business they target and when the targeted business goes under. Amazon raises the prices and makes their own monopoly. They set such crazy expectations on their drivers, that they have to drive recklessly and are tracked every step of the way and are constantly being threatened to be fired if they dont go faster. 

I could go on and on and I often feel guilty about my Amazon account.  
    GdemamiKyleran
  • RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639
    Nanfoodle said:
    Mendel said:

They treat their employees really badly and under pay them, when they are making billions and can afford to pay them well. To keep up to their requirement on the job, they cant take breaks. Not even time to go to the bathroom. Many often walk around with empty water bottles to pee in them. 

They undercut markets to the point it kills business they target and when the targeted business goes under. Amazon raises the prices and makes their own monopoly. They set such crazy expectations on their drivers, that they have to drive recklessly and are tracked every step of the way and are constantly being threatened to be fired if they dont go faster. 

I could go on and on and I often feel guilty about my Amazon account.  
    This is getting a bit off topic and I dont want to derail a thread but...

Amazon pays their warehouse workers well over minimum wage and over what other warehouse workers get for similar work. It is an almost completely unskilled job, you just need to pick up the items you're told too and put them in a bin. Sure they have tight quotas, but so does every warehouse I've ever seen. They absolutely get breaks, people just want more. Ive been a warehouse manager for nearly a decade, not at Amazon, and we run a similar operation. These types of jobs arent for everyone, but you arent allowed to tell someone they are too old or too fat or too lazy to do the job, you just have to listen to their complaints while other fit and motivated people crush the quotas.. thats life.

The drivers you see delivering packages are almost all employed by contractors, not directly through Amazon and the pay is pretty good compared to similar jobs like UPS and Fedex drivers, but it does vary depending on what contractor you work for.

As far as undercutting markets, great.. cheaper prices and a bigger selection for me without having to go to a bunch of different brick and mortar stores. My whole life I hated going shopping at traditional stores and would go without instead of shopping, that's not an issue with Amazon.

• IllvrIllvr Member UncommonPosts: 14
    edited May 2021
    I personally don't give a fuck about Amazon's vision for MTX's. They don't belong in an MMO. It's lazy, go make a new BR. Leave what's left of this tattered and broken-down genre alone. You're not doing doing it ANY justice. All AGS sees is a hungry market, but let's face it even a dog would turn down that plate.
    Gdemami
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    Mendel said:

Because eventually it will only be Amazon.   I have watched them takeover and destroy multiple industries.  Now they expand into others.  Do you know that Amazon's revenue would make it larger and more powerful than over 80% of the countries on earth?  And those numbers are pre-pandemic.  They have massive investments into robotics and automation.  Sure today they need hundreds of thousands of workers that they can pay $15 an hour to, but 5 years from now... they will need half as many.  And all those companies that were pushed out of the market by Amazon are never coming back.

The absolute BEST thing for the video game industry is for Amazon to struggle.  Sure I hope New World is good and we get a game to play, but the very last thing I want is for them to dominate yet another market.

GdemamiBruceYee

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Nanfoodle said:
    Iselin said:
    Interesting new development. New World says no boosts of any type at launch:

This post basically deflates most peoples P2W objections. These boosts will be for mostly new players and alts to catch up to where everyone else is already at. If they choose to use them.

Great knee jerk reactions for KriaTV. Shows how off base he is. 
    It doesn't do any of what you think it does.

They ARE testing the boosts in their NDA alpha/beta/whatever-it-should-be-called-3-months-from-release. That also means something.

I was actually surprised they were coming out of the cash shop gate with boosts. Most cash shops in B2P games like to ease you into the pay for convenience items slowly and like to present themselves as mostly harmless at launch. It seems like this will also be the case with the New World cash shop.

This "at launch" correction does nothing to invalidate Kira's speculation about the future of their cash shop. Hell, anyone who has seen how cash shops evolve in B2P games should be thinking the same without Kira's help.
    Slapshot1188YashaXScot
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Because eventually it will only be Amazon.   I have watched them takeover and destroy multiple industries.  Now they expand into others.  Do you know that Amazon's revenue would make it larger and more powerful than over 80% of the countries on earth?  And those numbers are pre-pandemic.  They have massive investments into robotics and automation.  Sure today they need hundreds of thousands of workers that they can pay $15 an hour to, but 5 years from now... they will need half as many.  And all those companies that were pushed out of the market by Amazon are never coming back.

The absolute BEST thing for the video game industry is for Amazon to struggle.  Sure I hope New World is good and we get a game to play, but the very last thing I want is for them to dominate yet another market.

The only way I see that happening is if they add a system to NW similar to D3 RMAH where people can earn REAL money by playing the game. That would of course require an extreme amount of itemization + effort which I think AGS isn't capable of + possibly limitations of lumberyard?

They already spent hundreds of millions on NW and over billion total on all their failed games so why not offer money to players to play their games? Many people already play games they think are boring so there's a huge potential market out there of people who'd switch from one mediocre game to another if there's even the slightest monetary incentive.

EVERYTHING on the back end of games can be rigged like it is in games currently so the amount of $ actually being paid out could be pennies if designed well/right for a mega corp like Amazon. The idea that people would have the ability to make money without limitations is IMO a way of drawing in and keeping a massive amount of players. Of course there would need to be content and lots of it to provide the environment that gets/persuades buyers/players to spend money and I don't think they have the ability to create even 30% of what would be needed.

Market it as an endless farming game with endless monetary gain possibilities and that could be their winning ticket if they were somehow able to pull it off. Would prob have to be region locked though cause maybe India alone could bankrupt them lol so possibly 'select regions' only.

Hope I didn't just give away John Connor's location to Skynet..

• HengistHengist Member RarePosts: 1,282
    edited May 2021
    Mendel said:

Building a better game isn't throwing money at it....

If Amazon Games struggles, an awful lot of people will think that "if Amazon can't make it work, with their deep pockets, why should we invest in the industry"? And that's not exactly good for the video game industry.

If Amazon, or anyone puts the right ingredients in the pot, with the right chef, and delivers a game that people like to play, we oughta be applauding that, no matter where it comes from. All these games start with an idea, and a vision, people who deliver on one that people enjoy deserve to make money on it.

Other companies are going to continue to put out good games (and bad) no matter what Amazon does. Crucible, the Lord of the Rings MMO, all go to show that money isn't what determines if a game is a commercial success. 

[Deleted User]
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    Hengist said:
    Mendel said:

Building a better game isn't throwing money at it....

If Amazon Games struggles, an awful lot of people will think that "if Amazon can't make it work, with their deep pockets, why should we invest in the industry"? And that's not exactly good for the video game industry.

If Amazon, or anyone puts the right ingredients in the pot, with the right chef, and delivers a game that people like to play, we oughta be applauding that, no matter where it comes from. All these games start with an idea, and a vision, people who deliver on one that people enjoy deserve to make money on it.

Other companies are going to continue to put out good games (and bad) no matter what Amazon does. Crucible, the Lord of the Rings MMO, all go to show that money isn't what determines if a game is a commercial success. 

Will respectfully disagree.  You are thinking in the short term.  Amazon always thinks long term.  Amazon could eat EA and Activision/Blizzard like it was an after dinner mint.  Activision/Blizzard had 8 Billion in Revenue last year.  EA had 5.

Amazon had 386...

Or roughly 50 times that of Acti/Bliz 

Their long term plan isn't to make an MMO.  It's to make an integrated all-encompassing online environment which will touch as many of their other pieces (AWS, Twitch, Prime, etc...) as possible.  Whether their foot in the door is New World, their game streaming service, or even buying a big gaming company is irrelevant.  
    [Deleted User]GdemamiScot

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• Big.Daddy.SamediBig.Daddy.Samedi Member UncommonPosts: 409
    BruceYee said:

The only way I see that happening is if they add a system to NW similar to D3 RMAH where people can earn REAL money by playing the game. That would of course require an extreme amount of itemization + effort which I think AGS isn't capable of + possibly limitations of lumberyard?

They already spent hundreds of millions on NW and over billion total on all their failed games so why not offer money to players to play their games? Many people already play games they think are boring so there's a huge potential market out there of people who'd switch from one mediocre game to another if there's even the slightest monetary incentive.

EVERYTHING on the back end of games can be rigged like it is in games currently so the amount of $ actually being paid out could be pennies if designed well/right for a mega corp like Amazon. The idea that people would have the ability to make money without limitations is IMO a way of drawing in and keeping a massive amount of players. Of course there would need to be content and lots of it to provide the environment that gets/persuades buyers/players to spend money and I don't think they have the ability to create even 30% of what would be needed.

Market it as an endless farming game with endless monetary gain possibilities and that could be their winning ticket if they were somehow able to pull it off. Would prob have to be region locked though cause maybe India alone could bankrupt them lol so possibly 'select regions' only.

Hope I didn't just give away John Connor's location to Skynet..
    Here is the thing, the paying players to play thing has been tried before by SoE with the player studio... I don't think that is a solution or idea we should even encourage them to look at.
    BruceYee

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Nanfoodle said:
    Iselin said:
    Interesting new development. New World says no boosts of any type at launch:

This post basically deflates most peoples P2W objections. These boosts will be for mostly new players and alts to catch up to where everyone else is already at. If they choose to use them.

I don't know about that, given the way the game is structured I would be using the boosts whenever available. In fact, I would have immediately purchased the boosts if they were available on day one. 
  • HidesBehindShadowHidesBehindShadow Member UncommonPosts: 41
     It's his latest video that really calls them out. This time he has them bang to rights. Your move Amazon.
    Gdemami
  • TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
    edited May 2021
    tzervo said:
    kitarad said:
    Once you make an investment in time and effort it is hard to let something go.
    While for some it is a matter of sunken cost fallacy, some players are just more tolerant of cash shops because all things considered the game is still fun and provides value for them.

You once mentioned the example of yourself and PoE and being worried that you were arguing against yourself:

If an MMORPG go F2P , will you try it ? — MMORPG.com Forums
    tzervo said:
    kitarad said:

Come to think of it Path of Exile may be insidious because I just said it is okay when I have spent like 200 euros buying stash tabs. I might have out argued myself right there.
    In my defense I am coming on 2k hours in POE.
    That's the only thing that matters in the end: 200eur for 2k hours of fun is great value. You are not out-arguing yourself.
    Car salesmen keep you on the lot as long as possible, it does work to a great degree.  Doesn't translate that well to MMORPG s where there isn't person "guilt" that you wasted their time... damn I love buying cars.  

I jump at the chance to go in for friends and family at the dealership and do all the talking (always prepared).  >:)

Gdemami
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,825
    Standing by what I already said, somewhat P2W by the end of the first year, fully P2W by the end of the second. Mind you I have a low bar of what is P2W, any sort of boost is P2W for example.
    GdemamiYashaX
  • RungarRungar Member RarePosts: 1,132
    This is why i love mmo's but have kinda given up on them. Its all about the monetization, even if its not pay to win. 

Its no longer about the gameplay at all, which is why the genre is spiritually dead. 
    [Deleted User]ScotGdemamiNilden[Deleted User]Illvr
    .05 of a second to midnight
  • SoybeanSoybean Member UncommonPosts: 111
    Wizardry said:
    Sadly the majority of gamers are outright >>idiots,they don't care,they play a game,spend money and move on to spend money on the next crappy game and it happens over and over and gaming is becoming worse day by day,year by year.

So like Kira..I CARE and it pisses me off,but his speech in this video will fly right over 99% of the gamers heads.

But what is the alternative? if people speak out against a game being loaded with MTX or p2w, you will catch hell from the people who support the game. It is easier to do what lazy peon does and just promote the game until public opinion turns on it and then say something.