Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

7 days to level 10

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
In a nut shell, this is my test to gage a hearty healthy mmorpg,
If I could manage to stay level ten or below for a week.  Making friends along the way, testing and getting to know my abilities inside and out. A good solid game where others are doing the same...... Even using 3rd party web sites to enhance the 1-10 experience, to make sure I miss nothing about my class. I want this 1-10 level area to be dangerous, where I had to be careful of my actions.  Maybe, just maybe finding the closes city to see what it has to offer.... then make more friends there. 

Another test or gage a healthy mmorpg FOR ME would be,
If I were a writer, I could develop a short story of my adventures, using only 1-10... My own un-scripted story.  Something where I can secretly daydream about what I'll do when I get home..... Games like ESO or FF14, your story would be like everyone else, and almost impossible to stay below level 10.

I was about to list true mmorpgs, but decided to say first and second generation games only fill this qualification.  

People are so critical of hitting max level they don't even care or even realize, mmoprgs are liner and extremely fast with 30 days of content.  

I'm sure I'm alone in my beliefs.... I don't care, I have my convictions.  

Go on..... let me have it, put me in my place..... and most of all check my spelling.  
NanfoodlebcbullyTuor7[Deleted User]Eronakis

Comments

• ILLISETILLISET Member UncommonPosts: 120
    So you are suggesting that a level 1-10 area should take approximately 7 days to complete?  
    [Deleted User]
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    ILLISET said:
    So you are suggesting that a level 1-10 area should take approximately 7 days to complete?  
    NO,
    Don't try and twist the subject.... I'm saying you can if you want !
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    7 days to level 10? If the max level is 11, sure.  :D
    delete5230
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Nowadays you wouldn't spend 7 days getting to level 10 in old MMOs either. That was back when MMOs were new genre and people were still learning stuff. Now we've got enough experience that we pick everything up much faster, and we're much faster and more effective in optimizing it.

It's true that games have changed. But we have also grown, learned and changed. Even if we were given identical game to the old ones we couldn't relive the past. We can only choose whether we move forward or not.
    [Deleted User]Asheram[Deleted User]Gormogon

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Aeander said:
    I propose a MMO with max level of 9. That would be surefire way to ascertain that you don't get to level 10 too fast.
    [Deleted User]Asheram[Deleted User]

Vrika said:
    Nowadays you wouldn't spend 7 days getting to level 10 in old MMOs either. That was back when MMOs were new genre and people were still learning stuff. Now we've got enough experience that we pick everything up much faster, and we're much faster and more effective in optimizing it.

It's true that games have changed. But we have also grown, learned and changed. Even if we were given identical game to the old ones we couldn't relive the past. We can only choose whether we move forward or not.
    Good rebuttal,
    But I stating it as a test, in other words can you if you wanted.

Newer games it's near imposable. 

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    You would love Tale of Toast. It's a grind from Hell. Like 13% of the community has reached level 5 or some shit.
    Kyleran
  • AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    edited May 2021
    It varies widely how much you play in a week.  How much do you play in the week?  

I probably spend 10 hours just deciding which class to play and another 10 hours deciding on my build before I even start.
    [Deleted User]Cryomatrix[Deleted User]Gormogon
    ILLISET said:
    NO,
    Don't try and twist the subject.... I'm saying you can if you want !
    I wasn't trying to twist the subject I was asking to better understand what you meant from your post lol chill 
    [Deleted User]
  • TwoTubesTwoTubes Member UncommonPosts: 328
    Vrika said:
    Aeander said:
    I propose a MMO with max level of 9. That would be surefire way to ascertain that you don't get to level 10 too fast.
    DDO was max level of 10 when it released. 
    Kyleran
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    ITs hard to find players that you make friends with and they level up the same rate as you...I found that players either played 16 hours a day or they hardly ever played....ALso people are all over the world and play at different times.....

Also the games are quest driven mostly now.....The players dont need friends to help them and group up very often....Lets face it, the way the genre is set up now is to play solo and there are other people around.
    KyleranSovrathdelete5230
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    I get what you are saying Delete. Most MMOs are all about rushing to end game instead of the entire game being the game. I hope for the same thing for games like Pantheon and Ashes. 

Whats the point of adding things like dungeons at level 10 if you gonna blow by that content in a few hours of game play. And you keep that speed of leveling till end game. How you gonna make friends or learn how to play your class with people. 

Games like often dont teach anyone to be part of a community and are shell shocked when they get to max level and the game play requires other players. Everyone's char is now speced for solo play and team dynamics suck. 

Sadly few games do offer this. A couple are in the works. Corepunk, Ashes of Creation and maybe Pantheon if they get the backing they hope for. Ashes will have many low level dungeons. Their streams have shown off one and it looks awesome, you would swear it was made for end game play. 
    Delete, the I personally think that an mmorpg where level 1 - 10 takes 7 days to complete would be awesome. 
    NanfoodleScotTheocritusSarla
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I don't think that is a bad way to judge an MMORPG, @Delete5230.  It can give you a pretty good look at the basic mechanics.  There are two issues that I see.
    • Games frequently don't play the same at low levels.  New abilities are added, sometimes later in the game.  EQ1 originally added AOE mez and PBAOE stuns to enchanters post 10th level.  These tools *could* drastically change they way that class plays.  A better way to evaluate a game is playing a bit further than 10th level.  I personally try to give a game 30 levels so I can see where its going.  Longer commitment, yes, but it generally gives me a better understanding.
    • Groups at low levels are notoriously difficult to find.  Most of the group-focused games are designed to really need a group at around level 20.  Most classes didn't have all the tools they would need before then.  In older games that are mostly outdated now, you really won't find many groups before nearing max level.  So, either bring your own or be prepared to solo.
    Compounding these issues are the fact so many games have become really easy.  You logged in, congratulations!  You're now level 2.  A daily login gift just arrived!  You're 3rd level.  You opened your inventory to figure out why there's no space.  Ding!  Level 4!  This can be countered in some games (like EQ2) by turning off the XP, so you can stay at low levels as long as you like.

delete5230Tuor7

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited May 2021
    ITs hard to find players that you make friends with and they level up the same rate as you...I found that players either played 16 hours a day or they hardly ever played....ALso people are all over the world and play at different times.....

Also the games are quest driven mostly now.....The players dont need friends to help them and group up very often....Lets face it, the way the genre is set up now is to play solo and there are other people around.
    You just need a system that makes all grouped players become "zone level" for the zone, so they can always play as a group. Give players XP even when repeating quests. Quests can only be done again in a group and you get special rewards for doing so, rewards you cannot get any other way, "You only have an armchair in your house? Here's my grouping sofa." Same for whatever the game has, separate rewards for people playing in groups.

But I am being forced to play in a group you say? Shut up all I got was a sofa or an armour skin you didn't, that isn't being forced. :)
  • GorweGorwe Member Posts: 1,428
    Omg, no! Wtf is this, it's too slow, not efficient at all!
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Is that 7 days /played, as in 168 hours of gameplay to reach level 10?

Or is that 7 days elapsed real world, so maybe 21 hours of gameplay if you average 3 hours a day?

If its the first, then I'd hate that, I'd quit very quickly. I hate leveling up, I find it boring as hell and I dislike story, so the leveling process is something I try to get through quickly. Endgame is where I get my fun.

If its the second, well, it still seems quite slow and the first 10 levels of a game are usually the quickest, so it wouldn't be a good sign for me. But, if those first 10 levels started showing me some promise of interesting gameplay later on, then I might be able to stick it out. I would just be very anxious about crazy boring grind times required for those mid-to-late levels
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Well FFXi and somewhat the FFXIV's as well fixed that problem because of the multi class design.You don't hit level 10 once but as many times as there are classes you want to play.Each time it is still a part of progression as your character is forever learning new roles and abilities and spells.
    1-10 wasn't so much of a chore even in the early days but it was to do exactly as mentioned to learn your class before hitting the dunes to join groups.Level 11 was the key because that was when the White mage got heal 2 to keep your tank alive.

Depending on the class and race chosen even 1-10 could be a chore and had risk because unlike most games,you can't simply run and hope to stay alive unless of course very close to a zone line or town.Attaining level 20 was more or less the key level because it took time to get your sub class quest and then after that you would start leveling a second class to around 20.

I still feel FFXi is the best mmorpg to enjoy the ride,the game along the way without some need to rush to end level like some single player game you are out to beat.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I still don't want anymore linear leveling games,i want more like survival games where yo ucan make ships,sail the seas,fight pirates on land and sea,find reasures,tame pets and mounts etc etc.
    I want a world to LIVE IN and not to just say i WIN i beat the game.So i want longevity and couldn't care less if levels were used at all.

Levels have not served any plausible purpose other than to gait cotnent and block us from using gear.
    In a game like Atlas for example levels were again used to gait us behind learning but imo we can LOSE that idea and just allow us to learn over time through our actions.So if a player wants to spend more time learning to tame and pets and breed them they become more skilled in that trait while others might like to farm or craft or geesh we could even have a discovery skill or something similar to what Pantheon is doing with it's perception skill.
    There is more to gaming than just levels and tiered weapons and tiered mobs and tiered zones.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

I've never had a problem with levels, sometimes I have a problem with how they are implemented though.  
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    7 days to level 10........ characters to max level. I got you ;)

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    [Deleted User]RexKushman
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• SandmanjwSandmanjw Member RarePosts: 527
    A whole lot of mis-understanding...but since it IS Delete....

I think what his point is that a real good MMORPG has the areas and skills/crafts and what not, that you could take a lengthy (7 days) time to explore everything play different areas and try different things. Group up make friends..so on and so on.

If all the above is possible then that is one of his definitions of a good game.

Which not many people would argue if it is possible to do the above, but not NECCESSARY...

Kyleran[Deleted User]
  • RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639
    You really need to be more specific in what it is that you are doing for that 7 days including how many hours a day you're thinking about playing. You can stay low level for as long as you want in just about any game if all you do is log on for 1 hour a day and stand in town talking to people.  If you're out in the world questing, adventuring and fighting mobs for 16hrs a day you'll never last that long. 

Too many variables left to the imagination for this timeline to be realistic but I support people playing games however they want.

Sandmanjw said:
    A whole lot of mis-understanding...but since it IS Delete....

I think what his point is that a real good MMORPG has the areas and skills/crafts and what not, that you could take a lengthy (7 days) time to explore everything play different areas and try different things. Group up make friends..so on and so on.

If all the above is possible then that is one of his definitions of a good game.

Which not many people would argue if it is possible to do the above, but not NECCESSARY...

Bingo,
    It's not me, its how everyone is thinking busy work, playing hard and trying to hit max level as fast as they can..... No one has the mind set to play slow, talk to people and live within the world naturally. 

So yes, no one can comprehend simply enjoying their surroundings. That's why no one understands the post.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    To be fair not everyone is familiar with the @delete5230 "Way" of thinking.

Sandmanjw

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon