Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Corepunk is thinking of having PvE servers.

2»

Comments

• MendelMendel Member EpicPosts: 4,545
    Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:
    Kyleran said:

The real question is why is a Developer who is making a PvP game, asking PvE players what would make them happy.

If the game is designed to be a PvP game, then some PvE server is just going to come across as some lame neutered version of what the game should be.
    See post above, if players are willing to sign up for a PVE server as is, lame or not why not do it?

It comes across as covering the white panel van with colorful, happy artwork, but still saying "Come inside, kid.  Here's some candy."  You could also work in a "wolf in sheep's clothing" reference if you like.  Here's mine.

Here, buy this game.  It's not for you; you won't like it.  It's not complete and there's not much for you to do.  But we really do need your money.  Desperately.  While you're here, maybe you'd like to graze in that nice, lush glade over there.  What?  No one has seen a wolf around here in generations.  Those "Enter at Own Risk" signs?  You'll be perfectly okay if you've had or even thought of having a tetanus shot.  If not, check out our fully stocked cash shop.

UngoodAlBQuirky

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 37,902
    Mendel said:
    Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:
    Kyleran said:

The real question is why is a Developer who is making a PvP game, asking PvE players what would make them happy.

If the game is designed to be a PvP game, then some PvE server is just going to come across as some lame neutered version of what the game should be.
    See post above, if players are willing to sign up for a PVE server as is, lame or not why not do it?

It comes across as covering the white panel van with colorful, happy artwork, but still saying "Come inside, kid.  Here's some candy."  You could also work in a "wolf in sheep's clothing" reference if you like.  Here's mine.

Here, buy this game.  It's not for you; you won't like it.  It's not complete and there's not much for you to do.  But we really do need your money.  Desperately.  While you're here, maybe you'd like to graze in that nice, lush glade over there.  What?  No one has seen a wolf around here in generations.  Those "Enter at Own Risk" signs?  You'll be perfectly okay if you've had or even thought of having a tetanus shot.  If not, check out our fully stocked cash shop.

You are over thinking my point.

Devs: we are making a pvp only game.

PVE players: The developers suck!

OK, anyone interested in a PVE server?

PVP players: The developers suck!

Where is the win scenario here?

tzervoUngoodAlBQuirky

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing FO76 at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• tzervotzervo Member EpicPosts: 1,304
    edited May 6
    Kyleran said:
    Ignore both PVEers and PVPers (they are gamers, it is in their nature to complain) and do what you think is best for your game based on the data at hand. If your design is for a PVP game, do not water it down because it will make it a worse game, stick to your guns and keep your original crowd (see EVE, Albion). If you can add a PVE server without harm and you think it is for the best, add the PVE server (see UO).

If the game is good for its targeted crowd(s), the players will come.
    UngoodAlBQuirky
    edited May 6
    Kyleran said:
    They have the data, maybe they found out that their target playerbase is more PVE-oriented than PVP-oriented and they want to switch their focus a la New World.
    I think there is a difference between offering PVE servers (largely as-is) vs promising to deliver a PVE game such as New World chose to do, sacrificing the original PVP vision in the process.
    Indeed. All I am saying is, when a dev says "what about adding PVE servers?" I do not take it at face value. It could indeed mean "we want to add PVE servers" or "PVP does not work for us we want to switch focus to PVE".
    KyleranAlBQuirky
    I'm thinking the best answer is

Devs: Screw it all, let's just spend the rest of the money on some hookers and blow and call it a day.

UngoodtzervoAlBQuirky

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing FO76 at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 5,817
    edited May 6
    Kyleran said:
    Mendel said:
    Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:
    Kyleran said:

You are over thinking my point.

Devs: we are making a pvp only game.

OK, anyone interested in a PVE server?

PVP players: The developers suck!

The Win is:

Dev: We are making a PvP Game.

PVE Players: The Developers Suck.

Dev's: and fuck you too.. we are making a PvP game.

This works the other way as well:

Dev: We are making a PvE Game.

PvP Players: The Developers Suck.

Dev's: and fuck you too.. we are making a PvE game.
    tzervoAlBQuirky
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 7,967
    This is a small development team and they do not have the resources Amazon has. This will probably interfere with the development of and the quality of the PvP content and once again PvPers will blame yet another game PvE players has managed to destroy.

They are stretched thin so why even consider this. 
    UngoodtzervoAlBQuirkyMendel
    Chamber of Chains
    edited May 6
    cheyane said:
    This is a small development team and they do not have the resources Amazon has. This will probably interfere with the development of and the quality of the PvP content and once again PvPers will blame yet another game PvE players has managed to destroy.

Nah that's BS (I mean what those PVPers say). The only ones capable of destroying their game are the devs.
    Post edited by tzervo on
    KyleranUngoodAlBQuirky
    cheyane said:

While I agree with your assessment regarding focusing limited resources on one path, I've often been told I'm not a game developer so what do I know?

;)
    UngoodtzervoAlBQuirky

• OscarBrowneOscarBrowne Newbie CommonPosts: 7
    is this for real? isn't it PvP?
    AlBQuirky