Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is specialization good or bad in MMORPG?

2»

Comments

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    Wizardry said:
    To me the term is just a marketing term,i assume it makes people feel like they are getting something special...a specialized idea.
    I prefer to use the term ROLE,each player within a group has a role to play.

I have a very good idea of how i like to see the mmorpg's designed within the combat structure and hoped to one day see it.Sadly developers are just pure lazy and wanting to cut lots of corners to make it cheaper and easier for them to design the game.

FFXi allowed you to change your character role and to mix n match to further tweak it in a way you felt was needed.

The way the bad game designs do it,you hit some level then they ask you to choose a specialization,i absolutely laugh at that design,it is pathetic and LAZY.

FFXi came the closest to "getting there" but was still a ways off but since then devs are just dumbing the genre down to garbage gameplay +some end game nonsense.
    It bothers me that is appears gamers are more worried about their loot,their ranking or their gear score than how good a game is designed.
    IDK WHY the mindset,do gamers just accept what they are given?Well they SHOULD be smart enough to realize expansions wil be incoming so if you don't speak up you will keep getting the same trash designs >>aka Wow and it's clones.

Posts (ideas) walk and money talks.

How long have "older MMORPG players been lamenting the "old ways?" I foresee no change in sight as long as games keep making profits using the same old formula.
    Personally I do not lament the "Old Ways" as I am currently enjoying playing an Old MMOrpg.

I am more entertained that the systems in the game I am playing are desired by the more modern MMO player, and I am legit wondering why these systems went away in the first place.
    Probably devs figured out they could be omitted to save on costs with no impact to the bottom line.

This kinda makes sense, because it's easier to just make things look icy and flaming, as opposed to coding them in such a way as they do specialized elemental typed damage according to their graphic, with common sense immunity and weaknesses.

Also, I can give a class all fire graphic stuff just so they look badass, another all death and necro style stuff, for badassery of course, and it would have no bearing on their overall contribution to the group or game. They all do generic style damage, with fancy names and such.

Can't say I am a fan of that tho, but it does seem to be the easiest overall path for someone making a game.
    AlBQuirky
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
    Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    Wizardry said:
    To me the term is just a marketing term,i assume it makes people feel like they are getting something special...a specialized idea.

I have a very good idea of how i like to see the mmorpg's designed within the combat structure and hoped to one day see it.Sadly developers are just pure lazy and wanting to cut lots of corners to make it cheaper and easier for them to design the game.

FFXi allowed you to change your character role and to mix n match to further tweak it in a way you felt was needed.

The way the bad game designs do it,you hit some level then they ask you to choose a specialization,i absolutely laugh at that design,it is pathetic and LAZY.

FFXi came the closest to "getting there" but was still a ways off but since then devs are just dumbing the genre down to garbage gameplay +some end game nonsense.
    It bothers me that is appears gamers are more worried about their loot,their ranking or their gear score than how good a game is designed.
    IDK WHY the mindset,do gamers just accept what they are given?Well they SHOULD be smart enough to realize expansions wil be incoming so if you don't speak up you will keep getting the same trash designs >>aka Wow and it's clones.

How long have "older MMORPG players been lamenting the "old ways?" I foresee no change in sight as long as games keep making profits using the same old formula.
    Personally I do not lament the "Old Ways" as I am currently enjoying playing an Old MMOrpg.

I am more entertained that the systems in the game I am playing are desired by the more modern MMO player, and I am legit wondering why these systems went away in the first place.
    Probably devs figured out they could be omitted to save on costs with no impact to the bottom line.

I believe that. But I also believe it's only the case because of the massive Real Money Trade business that's pretty much taken over the general MMO market. 

AlBQuirkyTuor7

Once upon a time....

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited May 2021
    Ungood said:
    Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    Wizardry said:

This kinda makes sense, because it's easier to just make things look icy and flaming, as opposed to coding them in such a way as they do specialized elemental typed damage according to their graphic, with common sense immunity and weaknesses.

Also, I can give a class all fire graphic stuff just so they look badass, another all death and necro style stuff, for badassery of course, and it would have no bearing on their overall contribution to the group or game. They all do generic style damage, with fancy names and such.

Can't say I am a fan of that tho, but it does seem to be the easiest overall path for someone making a game.
    MMORPG "streamlining" occurred for two reasons, it is cheaper and supposedly all players want are the core systems. Though it is true that the more peripheral a system was the less it was demanded by players, this was a game philosophy that led to the 'easy mode' 'tiny MMOs' we have today. Eventually you strip a game to its bones and it looks rather shallow.
    RungarUngoodKyleranAlBQuirkyTuor7
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Scot said:
    Ungood said:
    Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    Wizardry said:

MMORPG "streamlining" occurred for two reasons, it is cheaper and supposedly all players want are the core systems. Though it is true that the more peripheral a system was the less it was demanded by players, this was a game philosophy that led to the 'easy mode' 'tiny MMOs' we have today. Eventually you strip a game to its bones and it looks rather shallow.
    Seems fair.

Personally, I think this is a heavy contributing factor why some of the older, even very dated MMO's stay alive, because they had complex, yet common sense systems like this, and the new games, while better in almost every other way, as you put it, they are shallow, and thus, players would rather play an old, dated, sluggish game, that is complex, deep, and things make sense, then a new fancy modern game that is all about generic meta gaming.

KyleranAlBQuirkyScot
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    Wizardry said:

I believe that. But I also believe it's only the case because of the massive Real Money Trade business that's pretty much taken over the general MMO market. 

Shh. Before they start charging for each resistance type and speciality lol. 
    AlBQuirkyTuor7
  • themarkwilkinsonthemarkwilkinson Newbie CommonPosts: 4
    I think there are some positives that you can talk about here. There are a lot of aspects that have been improved over the years and versatility has been the best part of the modern MMOs. 
    AlBQuirky
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    I think there are some positives that you can talk about here. There are a lot of aspects that have been improved over the years and versatility has been the best part of the modern MMOs. 
    Welcome to the forums!

I am still not sure you are an adbot, do tell me off if you are a real person. :)
    AlBQuirky
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    Do you think this level of detail would add the genre or just be something annoying long term?  

I expect that would depend on the taste of the particular player.

Personally, I think it would add to a game with many such subtleties and is probably better left out of a game that was otherwise quite basic. Also, I think it would be better suited to a game focused on no to low fantasy than high, as the last would allow so many exceptions to what one could realistically expect it wouldn't be worth the bother to implement that level of detail.