Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard, make us a new mmorpg now !

13»

Comments

• CuddleheartCuddleheart Member UncommonPosts: 391
    edited May 2021
    Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:
    ILLISET said:
    I feel this post so much.  The thing is, I don't have much faith in dreamhaven or any other dev team either at this point.  Honestly, I'm at the point where I'm going to bite the bullet and play a p2w/microtransaction mmorpg or just not play one.  Because those are the only two real options anymore. 
    Why would you not trust Dreamhaven?  Everyone knows that boomer game devs never get swollen heads from sycophantic fans dumping bags of free cash over their heads...look at all the success stories like legends of aria, shroud of avatar, pantheon, Camelot unchained, star citizen, ect.  

Totally no reason to be skeptical.

Imo people's best chance of catching Blizzard magic again in an MMO is Riots upcoming MMO.
    Have Gen X, Millies, or Gen Z game developers proven to be any better?
    For overall innovation in gaming in the past decade?  150%.  Projects by young hungry devs have driven video game innovation since video games existed.  

For the record, I say this as an old guy!
    Interesting, I've disliked almost every MMORPG created after 2004, guess I'm not a fan of this "innovation" you speak of.

At least it's now clear which generation (s) are to blame for screwing everything all up in the genre, thanks.

:D 

Finally!  glad you ever quest gad flies are finally taking responsibility!
    [Deleted User]
  • ILLISETILLISET Member UncommonPosts: 120
    Blizzard you knew for WoW doesn't exist.
    All that needs to be said honestly. 
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    edited May 2021
    Sovrath said:
    tzervo said:
    Not a big fan of Blizzard's style myself, but I know many are craving for World of Starcraft or World of Diablo.
    On a side note,
    I gave it some thought with people asking for a StarCraft mmorpg.
    How can it be done?..... most units are tanks and Aircraft.  How can you create Zerg, how can you create characters ?.... The game has no monsters to fight.  It would have to be strictly PvP.

Sure, an mmorpg could be made that would touch on the subject, but wouldn't be anything like StarCraft.  And if so radically different, should it be called StarCraft ?
    But World of Warcraft is based off of "Warcraft" which is a real time strategy game just like Starcraft. I imagine it would be similar no?
    That is true, 
    - They took an RTS and made an RPG from it.  
    - They took two strict races, and made six.
    - They took a game with no monsters or anything else to fight, into a game with       monsters and bandits as opponents. 

So alterations can be made.

However, since StarCraft is mostly mechanized units, I can't see how characters would play into it.  Then add a slimy race such as the Zerg.

I can't visualize the game in my head no matter how I spin it.
    Maybe you could ? 
    I imagine the Zerg would be built somewhat like this, and the Mecha Terrans also somewhat like this:

But because it would be an MMO, they would have 3rd person, so it would end up with combat somewhat like this:

delete5230
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    One of the games I was really, really following closely in was pretty deep into development was canceled because they didn't want to pull players from the original.  It really hurt my butt when it was cancelled.  My butt stills hurts now just even thinking about it.

Anyone else remember UO2?
  • fineflufffinefluff Member RarePosts: 561
    edited May 2021
    tzervo said:
    Not a big fan of Blizzard's style myself, but I know many are craving for World of Starcraft or World of Diablo.
    On a side note,
    How can it be done?..... most units are tanks and Aircraft.  How can you create Zerg, how can you create characters ?.... The game has no monsters to fight.  It would have to be strictly PvP.

Sure, an mmorpg could be made that would touch on the subject, but wouldn't be anything like StarCraft.  And if so radically different, should it be called StarCraft ?
    It could be set up like WoW. You have two factions, Terran and Protoss, with PVP between them. Zerg are an enemy to both factions and an ever present threat like the the Burning Legion in WoW.

Aside from the Zerg, PVE enemies could include breakoff factions of Terran and Protoss and various alien life forms they can make up. It could be just like in WoW where you fight enemy versions of all races as PVE enemies no matter which faction you are.

The classes could be based on the RTS units that are humanoid (no, you can't play as a battlecruiser). There would be some classes that fight better close range (melee) and others that fight better long range. Healing and damage dealing too. Tanks too (not actuals tanks). For example, Ghost from SC = Survival Hunter from WoW. Dark Templar = Rogue. I imagine most classes would have a lot of aoe attacks (I think Wildstar was like this).

Maybe in raids and pvp you can pilot mechanized units like the Thor, like how you might pilot a dragon in WoW.
    Post edited by finefluff on
    [Deleted User]delete5230KyleranUngood
  • ShaddyDaddyShaddyDaddy Member UncommonPosts: 192
    The time is now, too many expansions to World of Warcraft,
    New people don't want to play "catch up".  Boosting to level 120 or what ever it is now is an awful answer to the catch up problem. Playing at level one sucks too. 

I understand full well.  Millions of subscribers, lots of money being made, why change things ?

Classic World of Warcraft proved a lot of things.  Mainly their is profit to be made with a new approach.

Once, just ONCE !....... Can a single Corporation had pity and compassion to do the right thing for people ?

Put aside millions and millions of dollars that are made.  Besides you will make millions and millions back anyway.

This grinds my gears.  The world is starting to suck, someone do something nice for us  :/

Their I said it, I feel better now.
    Activision Blizzard will not release another MMO unless they believe they have milked their current cash cows dry. Even on the off chance they decide to use their current IP's to make a MMO (Looking at you Diablo and Starcraft!), there would be no logical lore or story behind it that anyone would except (My opinion of course). Just look at what they have done with modern day WoW. 
    ILLISET
    It still blows my mind that wow was made in 18 months originally and not one company can make anything close to it nowadays. 
    delete5230Ungood
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    ILLISET said:
    It still blows my mind that wow was made in 18 months originally and not one company can make anything close to it nowadays. 
    Except that isn't what really happened.

"Development. World of Warcraft was first announced by Blizzard at the ECTS trade show in September 2001. Released in 2004, development of the game took roughly 4–5 years"

UngoodMendel[Deleted User]ILLISET

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    ILLISET said:
    Except that isn't what really happened.

"Development. World of Warcraft was first announced by Blizzard at the ECTS trade show in September 2001. Released in 2004, development of the game took roughly 4–5 years"

Even if it took 4 years, that is still faster than anything else we have seen on the market today, where they are in Beta for 3 years alone.
    [Deleted User]ILLISET
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    edited May 2021
    New people don't want to play "catch up".  Boosting to level 120 or what ever it is now is an awful answer to the catch up problem. Playing at level one sucks too. 

I understand full well.  Millions of subscribers, lots of money being made, why change things ?

Classic World of Warcraft proved a lot of things.  Mainly their is profit to be made with a new approach.

Once, just ONCE !....... Can a single Corporation had pity and compassion to do the right thing for people ?

Put aside millions and millions of dollars that are made.  Besides you will make millions and millions back anyway.

This grinds my gears.  The world is starting to suck, someone do something nice for us  :/

1.  It doesn't take long to level up.

2.  Catching up in terms of gear is fast, due to the way WoW does Gear Resets every expansions and on major content patches.  WoW doesn't have an Alternate Advancement System like EQ/EQ2 or Champion Points system like ESO, so the catch up isn't really a factor.

The only thing that you have to catch up on, is your skill playing the game.  That's it.  There is no point in not using the level boost to 120, because leveling up won't teach you much, anyways (i.e. you will lose next to nothing boosting straight to 120 in terms of "what you learn while leveling").

Games like WoW and FFXIV are designed predominantly around a running from Quest hub to Quest Hub.  You don't need other players to level up, and in most games you will not get a huge level of social interaction while leveling due to people just wanting to get it over with as quickly as possible - wasting time having conversations with randoms does not facilitate that goal.

The leveling experience has been updated, so you don't need those low level dungeons to grind gear or anything.  Not using the boost is literally wasting your own time.  This is why they give it to you - and frankly, this is increasingly common in many games (Heroic Characters in EQ/EQ2, Free Boosts with Expacs in GW2, Character Boosts/Story Skips in FFXIV, etc.).

You're better off just taking it and then learning how to play from there on.  It's literally the same, since you won't have a full set of skills and talents to actually play a class or spec properly until pretty high level, anyways, and have the prerequisite gear.

3.  Playing at level 1 sucks in any MMORPG.  If they developed a new one, playing at level 1 would suck there, as well.  But how long are you level 1?  Or even < level 20 or so?  Honestly...  Does this even matter at all?

Blizzard simplifying things into a "Gear Reset" system really changed everything, and leveling has been fairly quick and trivial even before then.
    Sensai
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    I think Blizzard are more interested in eSports, these days, anyways.  Even WoW has gotten fairly deep into the eSports market with Arenas and Mythic+.

I hope Diablo IV is good, though!
    ILLISET
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Darksworm said:

2.  Catching up in terms of gear is fast, due to the way WoW does Gear Resets every expansions and on major content patches.  WoW doesn't have an Alternate Advancement System like EQ/EQ2 or Champion Points system like ESO, so the catch up isn't really a factor.

The only thing that you have to catch up on, is your skill playing the game.  That's it.  There is no point in not using the level boost to 120, because leveling up won't teach you much, anyways (i.e. you will lose next to nothing boosting straight to 120 in terms of "what you learn while leveling").

Games like WoW and FFXIV are designed predominantly around a running from Quest hub to Quest Hub.  You don't need other players to level up, and in most games you will not get a huge level of social interaction while leveling due to people just wanting to get it over with as quickly as possible - wasting time having conversations with randoms does not facilitate that goal.

The leveling experience has been updated, so you don't need those low level dungeons to grind gear or anything.  Not using the boost is literally wasting your own time.  This is why they give it to you - and frankly, this is increasingly common in many games (Heroic Characters in EQ/EQ2, Free Boosts with Expacs in GW2, Character Boosts/Story Skips in FFXIV, etc.).

You're better off just taking it and then learning how to play from there on.  It's literally the same, since you won't have a full set of skills and talents to actually play a class or spec properly until pretty high level, anyways, and have the prerequisite gear.

3.  Playing at level 1 sucks in any MMORPG.  If they developed a new one, playing at level 1 would suck there, as well.  But how long are you level 1?  Or even < level 20 or so?  Honestly...  Does this even matter at all?

Blizzard simplifying things into a "Gear Reset" system really changed everything, and leveling has been fairly quick and trivial even before then.
    Honestly, your rebuttal sucks. 
    Not once did you mention "fun".  More like getting to the goal quick.
    Sounds like your one of them.

So yes, Retail World of Warcraft is for you.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Sovrath said:
    tzervo said:
    On a side note,

But World of Warcraft is based off of "Warcraft" which is a real time strategy game just like Starcraft. I imagine it would be similar no?

and WoW was nothing like Warcraft 3 from what I remember......
    [Deleted User]
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Darksworm said:

Point of order, I don't think your post mentioned the word "fun" either.

;)
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Kyleran said:
    Darksworm said:

;)
    It does now, just added it. 

Way at the bottom. 3 small letters  :D
    Kyleran
  • AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    Kyleran said:
    Darksworm said:

;)

Wow classic seemed really similar to every other mmorpg on the market except with less content.  That's my takeaway.  So I don't understand why it is fun but not other games.

I presume you like wow classic.
    AAAMEOW said:
    Kyleran said:
    Darksworm said:

;)

Wow classic seemed really similar to every other mmorpg on the market except with less content.  That's my takeaway.  So I don't understand why it is fun but not other games.

I presume you like wow classic.
    WoW classic has so much content you don't even know the half of it.  The game was originally created without and quest arrows, or a wiki page you could go to and rush through.  You had to read the quests and figure everything out.  Some are very complicated.  I doubt you've even really cleared all the content or know the fights enough to.  Most people who don't like classic haven't played it enough to understand the time and thought that went intoquest lines, fights, roles, etc.
    Kylerandelete5230Tuor7
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 927
    edited May 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Sometimes we need fantasy to survive reality 
    https://biturl.top/rU7bY3
    Beyond the shadows there's always light
  • MonsutaManMonsutaMan Member UncommonPosts: 49
    Someone needs to make a good superhero one, and I don't care who makes it tbh.

When a 17 year old game is really your only solid superhero option , that is a problem lol.

I understand WoW is old, but there are way more great fantasy mmo other than WoW, compared to a merely decent...... superhero mmo.

Preferably a 2D side scroller brawler with character creation. Why? Too many crappy 3D ones lol; or ones in development for over a decade..

Do it Blizz...
  • v_Vev_Ve Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Anyone or company with a backbone will not be reacting nicely to a demand.

Witty & Wicked >:)

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    The only reason I mentioned Blizzard because they made millions on top of millions, and never gave aback a single thing..... Just asking them to be generous for once.

Well, other than the entertainment they provided in return for those millions and millions over many years to a massive number of people... which is what they sold and their players bought into.
    edited May 2021
    The only reason I mentioned Blizzard because they made millions on top of millions, and never gave aback a single thing..... Just asking them to be generous for once.

Well, other than the entertainment they provided in return for those millions and millions over many years to a massive number of people... which is what they sold and their players bought into.
    He's talking about Millions and Millions of Dollars, which I highly doubt need to be entertained.

Eh.. fuck.. I was off today and read this drunk.. neverminded.