Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Xbox Series X or PS5?

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
I'm looking to get a new console (whenever they're back in stock) so I can relax on the couch and game.  Since I already have a decent PC, would it be redundant for me to get an Xbox?  Would I be better off getting a PS5?  I'd mainly be playing slower, less twitch games like turn-based RPGs, strategy games, and maybe some casual platformers, and other casual, relaxing games.  I doubt I'd get any FPS or other real action games.  What do you think?

Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    XBox for the simple reason Microsoft is more open with their platform than Sony. This last generation, Sony showed just how bad it is dealing with updates and mods. Their process is too slow and restrictive. It doesn't look like they corrected these issues.
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    I'd still wait for more games to release imo before deciding. By that time there might be news of the Pro or slim versions.
    Kyleran

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    Depends on whether you enjoy JRPGs. Those are mostly on the Playstation.
    KyleranRidelynncheyane

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    edited December 2020
    Well, if you were hoping to play Cyberpunk 2077 on a console any time soon, go with the XBox ;)

Oh, whichever one you chose, please don't buy it from a scalper, that practice needs to DIAF which can only happen if people stop paying their ransom demands.

How's that old saying go, we don't make deals with blackmailers, kidnappers and  terrorists, which is basically the same category I put market manipulators in with.

:# 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    One issue I see with the XBox choice is going forward I think any game for it will also be available on the PC which you said is your main platform.

This means you wouldn't be gaining access to as many additional games that are only released or are available on the PS5 like the JRPGs mentioned previously, which would be my biggest reason to add a console gaming platform to go with my gaming laptop.

Or, you could go totally off the chain and buy a Switch?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    OK, thanks guys.  So most JRPGs, especially turn-based, are exclusive to PS?
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    edited December 2020
    OK, thanks guys.  So most JRPGs, especially turn-based, are exclusive to PS?
    This is true - Sony gets a lot of Japan based titles that don't make it to Xbox. 

Really, the choice of consoles comes down to three things:

- Are all your friends already on one system or the other?

-Does one system have the exclusives you want to play?

-It isn't a binary choice, you can have more than one console. Unless your Mother says no.

Beyond those three things, there really isn't a lot of difference in them. They hook up to your TV, they play games, they can stream Netflix and stuff, but beyond that they don't really do anything else.
    cheyane
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Cleffy said:
    XBox for the simple reason Microsoft is more open with their platform than Sony. 
    That's only because Sony is beating Microsoft in the console race at the moment. In the early XB360/PS3 days, the roles were exactly reversed: Sony was more open, wanted more cross-platform integration, didn't charge for online services, etc. Then they caught up, and eventually surpassed Microsoft with the PS4... 

It will swing the other way if Microsoft can get the upper hand again, I have no doubt. Consoles are just way to get buy in into an ecosystem. Once you have people locked in there, you leverage the marketshare for profit.  

I do think XBGP Ultimate is a good idea, and having cross-platform ownership between console and PC is a great idea. I also think Microsoft is screwing up that great idea with poor implementation and confusing roll out (not every game supports cross-platform ownership, not every game in available on PC or console, PC installations are a mess via Windows Store, etc). 

I honestly don't know why MS insists on putting out console hardware, to be honest. They should just have a Windows 10 Console mode, kinda like Steam Big Picture Mode, and let you hook up your laptop or PC to the TV and run XBox through that (note, you can already hook up your PC and run Xbox for Windows through that, but it's no where near the same as having a console). No infrastructure or R&D needed to design, mnaufacture, distribute, or support hardware for that at all... and you get all the same benefits as you do now. Makes me wonder.
  • DesMoinessDesMoiness Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    edited February 2021
    I'm looking to get a new console (whenever they're back in stock) so I can relax on the couch and game.  Since I already have a decent PC, would it be redundant for me to get an Xbox?  Would I be better  TalkToWendys Survey  off getting a PS5?  I'd mainly be playing slower, less twitch games like turn-based RPGs, strategy games, and maybe some casual platformers, and other casual, relaxing games.  I doubt I'd get any FPS or other real action games.  What do you think?

Thanks for any advice!
    Both systems are thankfully backward compatible, though the PS5 only supports PS4 titles. The Xbox Series X, meanwhile, is able to play games from every Xbox generation such as the Xbox 360 and original Xbox.  Here's everything you need to know about the PS5 vs Xbox Series X.
    Post edited by DesMoiness on
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    edited February 2021
    I have both an Xbox sx and ps5. 

Firstly, everyone chatted up how "groundbreaking" the ps5 controller was. Nonsense. I find it to be a pretty poor controller overall, and they already have a class action lawsuit ongoing due to analog stick drifting.

Even if that wasn't an issue, the controller is bulky. 

There are a few games that will be on ps5 that won't be on Xbox. Most xbox games can be played on pc. 

But even with that in mind the majority of my play time is on my series x right now.  Games load faster than on my ps5. I have far less issues with the xbox, the controller feels better,  and I am catching up on all the game pass games. Also the series x feels more like a unified cohesive system, where the ps5, even with backwards compatibility distinctly feels like two different systems on one console, and they even treat it as such with save data. 

I've been disappointed with the ps5. Considering what I went through to get one, it sucks to say that. 

I'm still looking forward to ps5 exclusives, but that is the limit of what I'll play on the ps5, apples to apples I'd prefer an Xbox version for almost any title that I want to play that I haven't chosen to play on pc already. 
    [Deleted User]laserit

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    remsleep said:
    Mars_OMG said:
    With what is being shown , I would go with an X box series X simply because it has access to dx 12. 

Playstation also has full access to DX12 - Sony just choses not to use it because Microsoft is a competitor, so its a Sony problem not that DX12 won't work on Playstation- it works just fine

Stupid console wars
    You can make an API that is a lot like DirectX 12 (e.g., Vulkan), but you can't directly support DirectX 12 itself on a non-Microsoft platform.
  • MaGicBushMaGicBush Member UncommonPosts: 689
    Kyleran said:
    One issue I see with the XBox choice is going forward I think any game for it will also be available on the PC which you said is your main platform.

This means you wouldn't be gaining access to as many additional games that are only released or are available on the PS5 like the JRPGs mentioned previously, which would be my biggest reason to add a console gaming platform to go with my gaming laptop.

Or, you could go totally off the chain and buy a Switch?

This is why I ended up getting the PS5. I managed to grab one a few days ago! I had been trying since December. I had a Xbox One, but I saw no point in getting the Series X since all games going forward will be on PC as well. I have a good PC so I may as well just buy any games I want like Halo on the PC going forward. The PS5 has exclusives I would like to play including JRPG's which I like. I only had the Xbox because of friends, and Halo. Halo is the only FPS game I like anymore.

I have a Switch as well already, as I love Mario games. Yes, I play a lot of games lol. My son loves it for obvious reasons.

--------------------

-Currently playing FFXIV, and BDO.

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    I don't have any of the current gen consoles, but if I was going to get one right now, it would be the Xbox Series X, primarily for the controllers and the games pass.

Last gen, I bought a Wii U and skipped xbox one and ps4 as neither of those consoles had a games library that appealed to me. With the Wii U, despite it's many problems, it still had a lot of exclusives and, more importantly, a lot of splitscreen games that you can play with your friends.

If the switch had been a regular console, I would have bought one, but im not into the portable thing and the controllers are horrendous. I'm really hoping Nintendos next console will be more traditional, but given the success of the switch i think that is unlikely.
  • TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
    I offered to buy my nieces and nephews an Xbox or new Playstation for their families... go figure... they are all into PC games + Switch.  Cool.
    [Deleted User]
  • jitter77jitter77 Member UncommonPosts: 512
    I got the PS5.  I was just never an XBOX person.  I prefer the PS controller and the exclusives.  Xbox game pass is nice, but if you game on PC you can get the same thing.  I also have a switch which we bought mainly for my daughter.  I like it, but I get mad at Nintendo's game pricing.  Their huge sales are like $10 off.  The games I am looking forward to most are the new Horizon Zero Dawn, and Mario Golf on Switch. 
  • MonsutaManMonsutaMan Member UncommonPosts: 49
    Xbox- If you like Open World Games
    PS- If you like Action Games

Given how Sony's IPs allowed them to become the action game king; I expect Microsoft's  recently completed purchase will allow them to be the one stop for Open World RPGs.

If you like action games, just grab a PS5. If open world stuff is your cup of tea, grab a box. Just my opinion......
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited March 2021
    I'm looking to get a new console (whenever they're back in stock) so I can relax on the couch and game.  Since I already have a decent PC, would it be redundant for me to get an Xbox?  Would I be better off getting a PS5?  I'd mainly be playing slower, less twitch games like turn-based RPGs, strategy games, and maybe some casual platformers, and other casual, relaxing games.  I doubt I'd get any FPS or other real action games.  What do you think?

Thanks for any advice!

There are many factors you have to take into account.

- Which exclusives do you prefer?

- Do you only/mostly play digital games and don't mind depending on the internet for your games? then go Xbox with gamepass. PSNow is not as bad as it was before (and i think it has more games than gamepass) but MS has better network infrastructure for obvious reasons, that's what they do best.

- Do you prefer to own your games and don't want to rely on the internet for them? then go PS or Switch.

- You acknowledged that having a good PC and an XB is redundant, but if you still want one i think you can share cloud saves of the same games between platforms so you could move between rooms without having to carry a whole system around.

I personally don't need an XB because the very few (5 at most) games i like from MS i can just get them on steam now and save money. So in the end, it's all about what you prefer to play and how.

• fineflufffinefluff Member RarePosts: 561
    You should go with the console that let's you play the games you are interested in. Switch seems like the best option for casual, relaxing games. One game that sounds like it could interest you is the upcoming Project Triangle Strategy. It's Switch exclusive.

But Xbox has a lot of benefits with backwards compatibility. You can play almost any Xbox game all the way from the first Xbox. You can even use emulators for other consoles on it, potentially opening up a huge library of games you could play.

• Gay451Gay451 Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    The Xbox Series X supports, HDR, Dolby Vision and Dolby Atoms for entertainment apps and game.
  • MaGicBushMaGicBush Member UncommonPosts: 689
    edited March 2021
    I don't have any of the current gen consoles, but if I was going to get one right now, it would be the Xbox Series X, primarily for the controllers and the games pass.

Last gen, I bought a Wii U and skipped xbox one and ps4 as neither of those consoles had a games library that appealed to me. With the Wii U, despite it's many problems, it still had a lot of exclusives and, more importantly, a lot of splitscreen games that you can play with your friends.

If the switch had been a regular console, I would have bought one, but im not into the portable thing and the controllers are horrendous. I'm really hoping Nintendos next console will be more traditional, but given the success of the switch i think that is unlikely.

The Switch works perfectly fine on the TV. It has a dock, and has 1080p output to a TV. I play it mostly on my TV, but it is sort of nice as my son likes to grab it and go in the other room when I am on the TV. Also the Switch Pro controller is awesome and very comfortable. It is comparable to the Xbox One controllers, but slightly smaller and more comfortable(padded).

Also they are coming out with a Switch Pro soon I believe(4k).

Gay451 said:
    The Xbox Series X supports, HDR, Dolby Vision and Dolby Atoms for entertainment apps and game.
    This was my biggest disappointment with the PS5, as I like to use a console as a media center for movies and streaming services as well. The PS5 does have HDR, and Dolby Atmos for movies though so I can still watch my 4k movies just fine on it(I have the disc version). The only problem is a lack of Dolby Vision, and Atmos for games. Which doesn't bother me to much currently since I can't use Dolby Vision with my receiver anyways, but it does support Atmos.

I was wanting to get new speakers and a new receiver in a few years though that supports Dolby Vision, but oh well not a huge loss. I will just get a few new speakers and save money by not getting a receiver.

--------------------

-Currently playing FFXIV, and BDO.

• OscarBrowneOscarBrowne Newbie CommonPosts: 11
    +1 Xbox :)
  • lonesollonesol Member UncommonPosts: 60
    If you already have a gaming pc and don't want a console exculsive, or you want a enviroment with less cheating I don't see why you would buy one. If your goal is to play on the couch, just hook your phone, tablet, or crappy laptop up to your TV and use Nvidia experience with moonlight.  Which you can hook any controller too, including the ps5 controller which you can find still.  With most modern games cross play, there isn't much reason to have a console other than those 2 reasons. 

Nvidia moonlight can stream 4k 120hz, 1440 120 hz and 1080 120 hz better looking than any console with a 2080 rtx or higher. So as consoles cost 400 to 1000, if you don't have a modern phone with Samsung being the best because of Samsung dex which works good with moonlight, you can get a s7 tablet with 120hz for the same price as a console. But if you have fiber it's even better because you can play your pc anywhere, well assuming you bought a 5g one. 

That's just my opinion though, I use to have a PS4 pro to play no man sky due to it had no cheating. They cross played it making the only reason to have it gone, so I gave it to a friend. Ps5, and Xbox x are both worse than my PC, and you can use both controllers on PC so I don't see any reason to have one.  Also unless you have a lg x series oled, there is no better screen to play on than the s7 plus 120 tablet. Which works on couches, beds, cars or where ever. 
  • Timel0rdTimel0rd Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Whichever one i can find and purchase. Worse launch ive ever seen. Im 40
  • SKurjSKurj Member UncommonPosts: 157
    game pass...