Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ashes of Creation's Combat Revamp Won't Complete Until After Alpha One | MMORPG.com

13»

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    A game coming out in 2023(?) shouldn't have a combat system reminiscent of games released in the early 2010s.  Hopefully they come up with something innovative, I can't deal with another generic fake action combat MMO.
    Welcome to the forums! :)
    edited May 2021
    @Kyleran

You don't see this as strange then?
    Post edited by Scot on
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    edited May 2021
    Scot said:
    @Kyleran

You don't see this as strange then?
    I sometimes accidentally hit the WTF button while thumb scrolling, fixed now.

I lost track of the conversation back when we were discussing PPP loans.  ;)

Scot

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Scot said:
    Scot said:
    YashaX said:
    Does anyone know the details of this combat revamp? That sounds a lot like what we heard from other kickstarters like CU and Pantheon, and in CU's case it seems to have set the project back four years or more.
    What I have heard is that it is related to their concept of allowing Twitch and click combat.  Despite being told that the Apocalypse Battle Arena side game was going to help, it seems they are still stumped with how to make these two combat systems work together so neither has an advantage.

They are trying to get those two combat systems to work together? Why do they think that is even needed? This is creating a rod for your own back.
    That has always been their plan as far as I know and a major source of skepticism.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Combat_targeting
    Why try to achieve something never before achieved? MMOs have used many systems that sit along a path from click to twitch, but they only have one system, I had a look at the link this is like a pick and mix! This is very much an after launch development. Do we know if the BA uses Twitch, Click or the hybrid? Same question for the MMO. The obvious solution would be to use Twitch in BA and Click elsewhere.

Are they also trying to get keyboard input to match joysticks as a user interface and visa versa? Just pointless.
    Other mmos have used two combat systems. Not a good idea imo but it has been done before.
    [Deleted User]
    YashaX said:
    Scot said:
    Scot said:
    YashaX said:
    Does anyone know the details of this combat revamp? That sounds a lot like what we heard from other kickstarters like CU and Pantheon, and in CU's case it seems to have set the project back four years or more.
    What I have heard is that it is related to their concept of allowing Twitch and click combat.  Despite being told that the Apocalypse Battle Arena side game was going to help, it seems they are still stumped with how to make these two combat systems work together so neither has an advantage.

They are trying to get those two combat systems to work together? Why do they think that is even needed? This is creating a rod for your own back.
    That has always been their plan as far as I know and a major source of skepticism.

Why try to achieve something never before achieved? MMOs have used many systems that sit along a path from click to twitch, but they only have one system, I had a look at the link this is like a pick and mix! This is very much an after launch development. Do we know if the BA uses Twitch, Click or the hybrid? Same question for the MMO. The obvious solution would be to use Twitch in BA and Click elsewhere.

Are they also trying to get keyboard input to match joysticks as a user interface and visa versa? Just pointless.
    Other mmos have used two combat systems. Not a good idea imo but it has been done before.
    So they are not trying to have tab and twitch fighting each other at the same time? Phew! That's what I thought they where trying to do, we would be waiting till doomsday. But why try for equivalence? I train my guy up in the main game, but I start from scratch in BR, whats wrong with that?
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,984
    edited May 2021
    Scot said:
    YashaX said:
    Scot said:
    Scot said:
    YashaX said:

So they are not trying to have tab and twitch fighting each other at the same time? Phew! That's what I thought they where trying to do, we would be waiting till doomsday. But why try for equivalence? I train my guy up in the main game, but I start from scratch in BR, whats wrong with that?
    They literally are going for a hybrid where (at last mention) every player will be forced to have some sort of mix of Twitch and Tab skills.  Last I heard it was a max of 75% could be of one type.  So if I have (made up example) 20 skills.  15 of those can be TAB and the remaining 5 must be Twitch.   Or the opposite... or something in between.

From what I have heard, this is the part they are struggling with.  We shall see.

Post edited by Slapshot1188 on
    KyleranScot

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

edited May 2021
    Scot said:
    YashaX said:
    Scot said:
    Scot said:
    YashaX said:

They literally are going for a hybrid where (at last mention) every player will be forced to have some sort of mix of Hybrid and Tab skills.  Last I heard it was a max of 75% could be of one type.  So if I have (made up example) 20 skills.  15 of those can be TAB and the remaining 5 must be Twitch.   Or the opposite... or something in between.

From what I have heard, this is the part they are struggling with.  We shall see.
    Sometimes things would be so much better when you get it wrong and I thought I had. This is going to cause perpetual issues that need tweaking, its combat problems times two.

So what games have used this sort of system before?

As the reveal is coming up I have finally decided I need to actually know something about the game. :)