Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which games have the best housing systems in 2021

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited May 2021
    Kyleran said:
    Scorchien said:Not just in the housing itself but also how crafting tied into it  

Instanced housing is excluded in my world its shit , and i have an EQ 2 house all decoed but its still a shit system ..
    Can someone find your UO house in the open world, blow down your walls with c4 and take or destroy everything you've ever gained on the server?

If not its just more carebear housing.  >:)
    Or drop a nuke on it even, incinerating everything you've worked for in an instance?

Agreed, UO is for carebears.  ;)

Lol.. FO76 is not an MMO ...   I know sometimes discussions are hard to follow ,  But the OP was referencing MMO ..

U R dismissed
    CrystallineNMAlBQuirky
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited May 2021
    Atlas/Ark/Conan/Valheim .all the other games are crap,instancing.Well there are a few others that are decent like a few zombie games but i forget the name of those titles,7 days to die or something like that is one of them.
    I never played Rust,always wanted to but the pvp idea turns me off but i imagine Rust must have a decent house building system.Come to think of it we could build within H1Z! as well but like all these early access games,the devs NEVER finish them.or shut them down.

FYI the title mentions nothing of MMO.What is even an mmo anyway?WOW claims to be an mmo but any mmo interaction is usually inside of INSTANCES.

Survival games are  really the few only open world games and you MUST be open world to be a MMO.I refer to an mmo from GAMEPLAY and NOT the login screen.
    AlBQuirky

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    edited May 2021
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:
    Kyleran said:
    Scorchien said:
    24 years later its still Ultima online ........................./end
    You need to get out more, things have changed since the bombs dropped.

:)

UO housing system has more customization and functionality than any other to date .... Fact
    I agree that UO has an extensive housing system, the problem most MMORPG players have, including myself,  is that you need to actually play Ultima Online to access it.  

Well , UO is a very challenging game and will weed out weak players rather quickly ..

Consider yourself weeded

Other than players killing us I don't remember much challenge from the AI....I remember killing dragons easily for their hides....I guess the fear here is the player killer community....Also with those graphics I just don't see how you can play that for 24 years....That deserves some sort of lifetime MMO achievement award really.
    AlBQuirky
  • xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    edited May 2021
    SWG:L and EQ2
    CrystallineNMAlBQuirky
    My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
    Wizardry said:
    Atlas/Ark/Conan/Valheim .all the other games are crap,instancing.Well there are a few others that are decent like a few zombie games but i forget the name of those titles,7 days to die or something like that is one of them.
    I never played Rust,always wanted to but the pvp idea turns me off but i imagine Rust must have a decent house building system.Come to think of it we could build within H1Z! as well but like all these early access games,the devs NEVER finish them.or shut them down.

FYI the title mentions nothing of MMO.What is even an mmo anyway?WOW claims to be an mmo but any mmo interaction is usually inside of INSTANCES.

Survival games are  really the few only open world games and you MUST be open world to be a MMO.I refer to an mmo from GAMEPLAY and NOT the login screen.

Reading Comprehension is a skill that needs improving , i would go back and read the OP again ..

All the game you mention are NOT MMOs and not relative to the discussion ..

Thx for playing
    AlBQuirkyHatefull
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:
    Kyleran said:
    Scorchien said:

UO housing system has more customization and functionality than any other to date .... Fact
    I agree that UO has an extensive housing system, the problem most MMORPG players have, including myself,  is that you need to actually play Ultima Online to access it.  

Well , UO is a very challenging game and will weed out weak players rather quickly ..

Consider yourself weeded

Other than players killing us I don't remember much challenge from the AI....I remember killing dragons easily for their hides....I guess the fear here is the player killer community....Also with those graphics I just don't see how you can play that for 24 years....That deserves some sort of lifetime MMO achievement award really.
    Dragons are a very easy kill , a training mob .. Noone boast of killing a Dragon

Now a Greater can be a moderate challenge , try and Ancient an Elder or a PAragon then come talk , of course this applies only to non Tamers as that can trivalize a lot of content ..

Your knowledge of UO PVE seems very limited..

AlBQuirky
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I liked the EQ2 housing, and the housing may be the second best thing in SW:TOR (behind the stories).  Oddly, the EQ1 housing system, which came along after the EQ2 system (if I'm remembering my dates correctly) was very simplistic and underwhelming -- it didn't tie into the crafting at all.  LotRO's system was quite good, only too many of the really interesting items were extremely scarce.

My favorite, though is Conan Exiles, where you could build the actual structures.  Not enough variety in internal fittings, and a home/base/fort/castle needed so many crafting structures that it ruined the aesthetics.  The system was very limited in its own way, you couldn't really transition from a square foundation to an octagonal building.  The building shape had to conform to the foundation shape.  I was pretty adept at building profiles and grand staircases.

NMS also has a pretty elaborate structure building system, again dominated by crafting structures.  It lacks vital (IMO) cornering systems (the last time I seriously played, anyway).  The insipid power and wiring system is horrific; it's a futuristic space game with Victorian ideas of electricity.  But building a base that extends into a natural cave can be inspiring.

AlBQuirky

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited May 2021
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:

Consider yourself weeded

Dragons are a very easy kill , a training mob .. Noone boast of killing a Dragon

Now a Greater can be a moderate challenge , try and Ancient an Elder or a PAragon then come talk , of course this applies only to non Tamers as that can trivalize a lot of content ..

Wait, so the game is not very challenging to weed out weak players like you said. If the "challenge" only comes from griefers and not the game itself then that's not a challenge... that's BS.
    AlBQuirky

edited May 2021
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:
    Kyleran said:
    Scorchien said:

Consider yourself weeded

Wait, so the game is not very challenging to weed out weak players like you said. If the "challenge" only comes from griefers then that's not a challenge... that's BS.

who said that ... 

The PVE is very challenging , go kill a Paragon Lich Lord then we can talk ..

UO has some of the most challenging PVE in the genre (exclude tamer)

And yes ive played all these games to end game , ANd UO still is the most challenging

The PVE will weed out a weak player very fast .. let alone the Felucca ..

AmarantharAlBQuirky
    edited May 2021
    Scorchien said:

who said that ...

You, and i quote:

"Well , UO is a very challenging game and will weed out weak players rather quickly ..

Consider yourself weeded"

EDIT: if the game is challenging then that's fine. I was only pointing out that one one post you said the game is challenging and then on another point you talk about how easy it is to kill monsters. That's all.

AlBQuirky

Scorchien said:

who said that ...

You, and i quote:

"Well , UO is a very challenging game and will weed out weak players rather quickly ..

Yes , and where did i say anything about griefers ..

You are making that part up ..
    AlBQuirky
    edited May 2021
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:

who said that ...

You, and i quote:

Yes , and where did i say anything about griefers ..

You are making that part up ..

the part about griefers is a logical assumption based on your 2 posts. If you say the game is challenging, and then say it's easy to kill monsters, then it's logical to think the "challenge" comes from pvp.
    AlBQuirky

Scorchien said:

who said that ...

You, and i quote:

EDIT: if the game is challenging then that's fine. I was only pointing out that one one post you said the game is challenging and then on another point you talk about how easy it is to kill monsters. That's all.

No, I said its easy to kill a Dragon .. and they are

A Greater can be a moderate challenge

An Ancient Difficult

And Elder very difficult

A Paragon of any .. Bring help ....

But common dragons found in 1st floor Destard for ex.. are a training mob
    rojoArcueidUngoodAlBQuirky
    Scorchien said:

No, I said its easy to kill a Dragon .. and they are

A Greater can be a moderate challenge

An Ancient Difficult

And Elder very difficult

A Paragon of any .. Bring help ....

But common dragons found in 1st floor Destard for ex.. are a training mob

Alright, it's all good. Dragons usually tend to be harder enemies in games, that's why i had that observation.
    ScorchienAlBQuirky

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:
    Kyleran said:
    Scorchien said:

Consider yourself weeded

Yeah I moved on 22 years ago when EQ came out.......Also many players did taming.....Im sorry that you hardcores frown on that, but they allowed it so we did it.

AlBQuirky
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:
    Kyleran said:
    Scorchien said:

Consider yourself weeded

Yeah I moved on 22 years ago when EQ came out.......Also many players did taming.....Im sorry that you hardcores frown on that, but they allowed it so we did it.

LMFAO .. more weak atempts at injecting your narrative ..

Where did i say i frown on it ,

Many of my guildies are tamers , and its quite handy , but it also trivializes alot of content ..

There are things in many games that do this .. Like EQ2 merc system its makes normally challenging content very easy ..

Like scaling in ESO , it left much of the overland experience trivialized and easy ..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    cheyane said:
    For me it will always be Everquest 2. They allow you to place items in different axis and to reduce and increase sizes. You can build lofts and just about anything from placing different items together and creating something new. 

The premium houses and whole islands are where you can let your creativity run wild and the sheer amount of things a carpenter can make will have you hard pressed to find another game with that high number of craftable items. Truly lovely but hardly anyone will ever see your creativity because even if you place all your vendor items in the house it is highly doubtful anyone will visit it and see your beautiful home.

This sounds very similar to housing in ESO: it is instanced, tied into the crafting system, allows placement on different axis to create lofts, etc, and has premium housing and other larger areas.
    AlBQuirky
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    YashaX said:
    cheyane said:
    For me it will always be Everquest 2. They allow you to place items in different axis and to reduce and increase sizes. You can build lofts and just about anything from placing different items together and creating something new. 

The premium houses and whole islands are where you can let your creativity run wild and the sheer amount of things a carpenter can make will have you hard pressed to find another game with that high number of craftable items. Truly lovely but hardly anyone will ever see your creativity because even if you place all your vendor items in the house it is highly doubtful anyone will visit it and see your beautiful home.

This sounds very similar to housing in ESO: it is instanced, tied into the crafting system, allows placement on different axis to create lofts, etc, and has premium housing and other larger areas.
    http://eq2.eqtraders.com/articles/article_page.php?article=g13&menustr=070080000000

These are just lights you can craft in EQ2. Does ESO have this kind of variety for you to craft and bear in mind EQ2 is 17 years old.
    Po_ggAlBQuirky
    Chamber of Chains
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,703
    I'll chime in with others in the thread, whilst not an MMO, some of the survival games have great housing systems.

I've been playing a lot of ARK recently and pretty much all I do is build stuff. Started with a wooden beachfront property. Moved up to large wooden keep with extensive stone curtain wall and various out-buildings for crafting / breeding etc. Currently working on an extensive treehouse settlement and also started on a sea-side / underwater complex.

I'm playing single player with mods, which has greatly extended what I can build and I also made it easier to collect resources since im doing it all alone and it takes a lot of resources to build anything cool!

One of the main things I love about ARK's housing mechanics (beyond the creativity) is the fact that your bases are actually useful. I need a house for storage. I need a house for crafting ammo and repairing gear. I need a house for quick-travel options. I need a house for storing my tamed dinosaurs and breeding them. Housing in most MMORPGs is pretty pointless, fun for a short time but with no real value to the rest of the game.
    YashaXAmarantharAlBQuirky
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,517
    Ok, the only game I played that had a housing system that didn't suck, was Trove.

Now Trove was it's own monster with this, as you started with a Cornerstone, which was like a house you could place in the open world on plots that were set aside for Cornerstones. You could buy additional Cornerstones, and swap between them, but could only have 1 active at any time.

These were pretty cool, and were 16x16x200 blocks in size, that were pretty much a Game House that you cold make.

With this you had plenty of patters, like beds, tables, chairs, chests, vases, all cosmetic, you could put in portals, crafting stations, and the like, and mount up the slew of trophies you could earn while playing the game, if you so desired.

You could also have a club world, which were like "Guild Halls" or guild zones, really, and your guild could be any size from 1 to whatever. As a leader, you could designate who could modify the Club World, and how much they could mess with this. You could also be in several clubs, so there was no real reason why you could not have your own personal playpen of a clubworld. One of the cooler parts of a club world, to me at least, was being able to garden and fish in them. To each their own on that one.

Anyway, since Trove was a Voxel building game, it looked the part, so, it was not a facy as some other games, everything being blocks as it were, but it was still a pretty cool system none the less, and some people made some amazing things.. not me, mind you, but some people.

That was the best housing system I ever played with, but I highly doubt it was the best to ever exist.
    cheyanePo_ggAlBQuirky
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

Housing actually used to be a lot more for selling items from in EQ2 because things were cheaper if people came to your home and picked up the item from the vendor container you can place within your home.

The biggest mistake that they made was allowing guilds to build guild halls that house all the crafting benches and the crafting vendors making players no longer moving about the cities. So players don't bother visiting anyone's house any more. The irony is that with the introduction of the Overseer quests in EQ2 and placing the Overseer in the harbour of both major cities you now see more people near him than you would elsewhere.
    [Deleted User]YashaXPo_ggUngoodMendelAlBQuirky
    Chamber of Chains
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

cheyane said:
    Housing actually used to be a lot more for selling items from in EQ2 because things were cheaper if people came to your home and picked up the item from the vendor container you can place within your home.

The biggest mistake that they made was allowing guilds to build guild halls that house all the crafting benches and the crafting vendors making players no longer moving about the cities. So players don't bother visiting anyone's house any more. The irony is that with the introduction of the Overseer quests in EQ2 and placing the Overseer in the harbour of both major cities you now see more people near him than you would elsewhere.
    100% agreed.

Guild Halls killed the cities. It is a shame because some of the cities are really great. Like Freeport for instance is a nice city and I love the layout
    Yes I love Freeport so much character. I remember betraying and this was early when they made you kill like really a lot of mobs to gain reputation to not be kill on sight a Paladin to become a Shadowknight but a High Elf Shadowknight. I was so stoked when I finally got into Freeport and was allowed to walk about without getting insta killed by a guard.
    UngoodAlBQuirky
    Chamber of Chains
    Scorchien said:
    Kyleran said:
    Scorchien said:Not just in the housing itself but also how crafting tied into it  

Instanced housing is excluded in my world its shit , and i have an EQ 2 house all decoed but its still a shit system ..
    Can someone find your UO house in the open world, blow down your walls with c4 and take or destroy everything you've ever gained on the server?

If not its just more carebear housing.  >:)
    Or drop a nuke on it even, incinerating everything you've worked for in an instance?

Agreed, UO is for carebears.  ;)

Lol.. FO76 is not an MMO ...   I know sometimes discussions are hard to follow ,  But the OP was referencing MMO ..

U R dismissed
    wow Scorch. I hope you are doing ok.  smh 

well, I did have a full Knee replacement 10 days ago .. Oxyed up pretty well :)

But im still me , maybe a bit more edgy
    UngoodMendel[Deleted User]