Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO Developers: I Need More Developer-Driven, FOMO-Causing RP Events In My MMORPGs, Please. | MMORPG

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599

imageMMO Developers: I Need More Developer-Driven, FOMO-Causing RP Events In My MMORPGs, Please. | MMORPG.com

The last two weeks have seen major story-driven events happen in EVE Online. As someone who doesn't necessarily care about annual events in MMOs, these events have Bradford intrigued for a few reasons: they feel spontaneous, they are story-driven, but most importantly: they are limited to a one-time affair.

Read the full story here

Sovrath

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    edited May 2021
    Developer driven RP events are yet another of those elements of gameplay that a streamlined 'fun focused' modern MMO apparently does not need. But there is hope, have you seen the way all those MMOs in development have never ending dev chats? Surely then if/when they launch the devs will find no end of time to interact with the community. ;)

Seriously they are sorely missed, perhaps done no where better than Asherons Call. These were not 'meet a dev' as a toon who handed out gear to favourites, as some people seem to think that's what we are talking about. These were overarching storylines that had effect (admittedly rarely in a huge way) on the landscape of the game.

Indeed I can remember when MMO's had player volunteers given certain staff abilities who could help new players. These are but a couple of ways you help to build disparate MMO players into a community interacting with a vibrant changing world.
    foppoteeChampielotrloreMendelGdemami
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    Best Developer driven RP events I ever experienced were in Shadowbane believe it or not.   My favorite was when a GM spawned in an absolutely HUGE demi-god who was bringing an army to destroy a player owned city.   My character was a "confessor" which were were playing as heretic burning fanatics so I actually spoke to the demon creature and he appointed me a Lt. and I led some of his troops into our ultimately doomed battle.

Fun stuff.

ScotfoppoteeChampielotrlore

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• repubrepub Member UncommonPosts: 25
    MXO had excellent GM driven stories. WISH was the one that I remember fondly - I think the cost of GMing the events constantly was too expensive for the business model and they had to call it quits.
    elfdragon21foppoteeChampieScot
  • NeoyoshiNeoyoshi Member RarePosts: 1,140
    Only type of event i participated in like that that I can recall off the top of my head is the very first Living Story event they held in Guild Wars 2, where they had the Scarlet War in Lion's Arch; and we had to fight this giant boss that was wreaking the city.

But that was a one-time deal, and while I'd love for ArenaNet to do something like that again, it was fun to be apart of it.
    [Deleted User]Ungood

Fishing on Gilgamesh since 2013
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    repub said:
    MXO had excellent GM driven stories. WISH was the one that I remember fondly - I think the cost of GMing the events constantly was too expensive for the business model and they had to call it quits.
    Yes, I think GM events may need to be rare if they are brought back, that keeps down the costs and keeps them special.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    edited May 2021
    My character was a "confessor" which were were playing as heretic burning fanatics

Hey, isn't that the same role you play here on these forums?  ;)

I recall four or so years back EVE had a one time event involving an assassination attempt on the Amarr Empress which even had an actual player having a part which triggered a huge battle in the Throne Worlds.

They seem to be expanding on this again and I confess has me interested in going back, might be time to undock once more.
    [Deleted User]Scotcheyane

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    EQ1 had a few Dev/GM events going on with it, I had the good fortune to partake in a few of them. There was the iconic one, where the Dev playing Feronia Vie DC'ed from the game, in the middle of the event.  Good stuff.

GW2, also had their Living World thing they tried at the start of the game, where the game world evolved and changed as this event unfolded, leading to the physical destruction and rebuilding of lions arch. From what I understood, many players were unhappy about the prospect of missing out on these "One Time" events, and they changed their mode to be Living Story, where players could do older stuff, and thus no miss out on the special rewards.

Anyway, super cool that EvE is doing this.
    Mendel
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• toxicmangotoxicmango Member UncommonPosts: 119
    edited May 2021
    Eve had events way back when it first started. They stopped them after the devs and GMs were exposed for corruption and player favoritism in their events. Things like rigged events with fixed outcomes despite supposedly being open ended for player participation, loot pinatas for their friends, which seemed to occur in suspiciously higher frequency of such in areas occupied by the devs' friends, who due to insider information seemed to be in the right place at the right time. I doubt the writer would be so happy if devs for example used NPC forces to smack down a player and his friends, no matter how official the smack down was.

Live GM'ed events only work if the people running things have no vested interests and are not corrupt.
    [Deleted User]KyleranUngoodGdemami
  • ILLISETILLISET Member UncommonPosts: 120

Eve had events way back when it first started. They stopped them after the devs and GMs were exposed for corruption and player favoritism in their events. Things like rigged events with fixed outcomes despite supposedly being open ended for player participation, loot pinatas for their friends, which seemed to occur in suspiciously higher frequency of such in areas occupied by the devs' friends, who due to insider information seemed to be in the right place at the right time. I doubt the writer would be so happy if devs for example used NPC forces to smack down a player and his friends, no matter how official the smack down was.

Live GM'ed events only work if the people running things have no vested interests and are not corrupt.

It also requires the devs to play thr game enough to understand the metas and what the event needs to be like to be neither too difficult nor too dismissable.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Kyleran said:
    My character was a "confessor" which were were playing as heretic burning fanatics

Hey, isn't that the same role you play here on these forums?  ;)

I recall four or so years back EVE had a one time event involving an assassination attempt on the Amarr Empress which even had an actual player having a part which triggered a huge battle in the Throne Worlds.

They seem to be expanding on this again and I confess has me interested in going back, might be time to undock once more.

And I thought merely logging in to EVE triggered a huge battle.  Guess I learned something today.

Scot

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.