Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Corsair iCUE LS100 Smart Lighting Strips Review - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited February 2020 in News & Features Discussion

imageCorsair iCUE LS100 Smart Lighting Strips Review - MMORPG.com

Do you want to take the look of your setup to the next level? Light strips are one of the best ways to truly customize and elevate the look of your battlestation. Corsair, the reigning king of RGB with components and peripherals, has finally arrived with their own ambient lighting setup. If you’re looking for backlights that go beyond the cheap strips flooding Amazon, this might just be the kit for you. Read on for our full review.

Read the full story here

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353
    If you're looking to light up your desk and willing to spend $120, you could buy an entire computer monitor for that price and display whatever image you want on it. It won't be a nice monitor by computer monitor standards, but by lighting strip standards, it will be amazingly versatile in what it can display.
    ghettoceleb
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited February 2020
    These Everything-RGB companies should start having partnerships with electric utility companies to bring special deals to consumers.

Buy XYZRGBmaster for your computer parts and save 50% on your electricity bill!

As cool as all this RGB stuff looks, the last thing i want is more heat generation near my computer, or a higher bill.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180
    These Everything-RGB companies should start having partnerships with electric utility companies to bring special deals to consumers.

As cool as all this RGB stuff looks, the last thing i want is more heat generation near my computer, or a higher bill.

In the US the average KwH cost is $0.12. This product is 2 each, 250mm LED RGB lights. Let's assume on the high end that each one pulls 20 watts, and you use them for 12 hours per day, every day. That gives you an annual operating cost $175.20, or $0.48 per day.
    Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited February 2020
    skeaser said:

In the US the average KwH cost is $0.12. This product is 2 each, 250mm LED RGB lights. Let's assume on the high end that each one pulls 20 watts, and you use them for 12 hours per day, every day. That gives you an annual operating cost $175.20, or $0.48 per day.

so an additional $175 a year just for light strips, add to that RGB on fans, case, peripherals, ram, etc, combined for aesthetics. It's certainly not ideal for me.

• GameByNightGameByNight Hardware and Technology EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 793

skeaser said:

so an additional $175 a year just for light strips, add to that RGB on fans, case, peripherals, ram, etc, combined for aesthetics. It's certainly not ideal for me.

This is very true. In my case, I don't use them nearly that much, though so the actual cost is much lower. If you're running your lights for long hours every day, then it's definitely something to factor in. I haven't done the math myself to see the actual cost, though.
    rojoArcueid
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353
    skeaser said:

I think your math is off.  Even if they're running around the clock:

0.12 $/kWh * 8766 h * 20 W ~ $21.

And 20 W seems high, even for the whole package.  That's several times what a typical laptop monitor will use, for example.
  • MIgsseMIgsse Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    How large is the reviewers monitor?

Is the starter kit enough for a 55" display?

Can the icue software be configured to only use the secondary monitor only, not dual monitor setup?