Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Magic: Legends Is Hosting A World Enchantment Weekend Event Starting May 6th | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599

imageMagic: Legends Is Hosting A World Enchantment Weekend Event Starting May 6th | MMORPG.com

Maro's Monkey Business is an upcoming weekend event for Magic: Legends, starting on May 6th and running through May 10th.

Read the full story here

Comments

• foppoteefoppotee Member UncommonPosts: 508
    edited May 2021
    Lost my remote interest in this game when I read Cryptic installed a cash-shop in-game during their Alpha/Beta testing. The opposite end of that would be is I suppose it's a positive that they're already testing in-game events during the testing phases.
    IselinFrodoFragins
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    People are still playing this?
    AndrewGoatMcSleazFrodoFragins
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited May 2021
    foppotee said:
    Lost my remote interest in this game when I read Cryptic installed a cash-shop in-game during their Alpha/Beta testing. The opposite end of that would be is I suppose it's a positive that they're already testing in-game events during the testing phases.
    They did exactly the same with Neverwinter and this site got tired of their BS and reviewed their so-called "beta" as released.

IDK why they play along with Cryptic and pretend it isn't released this time.

Releasing a game with missing features, a full cash shop and calling it a beta is what they do. It's their MO.

And its working for them. Calling it beta keeps the reviews away - the media ones anyway. Player reviews on Metacritic are turned on and they don't look pretty:
    https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/magic-legends

Mendel[Deleted User]FrodoFraginsNilden[Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Its a F2P game , they have to generate money , so if people are willing to pay , whats the problem

They have a product with a consumer thats ready to pay ...

Seems like a win win to me ..

Consumer gets what they want(obviously or they would not be spending ) which they are

Dev gets what they want , money to support development

Whats to bitch about

Especially for people that had/have no intention of playing is the funniest ..
    IselinMcSleazFrodoFragins[Deleted User]
    Scorchien said:
    Its a F2P game , they have to generate money , so if people are willing to pay , whats the problem

Consumer gets what they want(obviously or they would not be spending ) which they are

Whats to bitch about

Scum lying by calling a released game "beta" or conversely having a cash shop in a beta?

That's my final answer, Regis.

If you'd rather be in bed with lying scum, well that's your choice.
    Nilden
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

edited May 2021
    Iselin said:
    Scorchien said:

Whats to bitch about

Scum lying by calling a released game "beta" or conversely having a cash shop in a beta?

Lol.. ohh the righteous seeping out of you is truly glorious .. lmfao

Welcome to Capitalism

If they can set up a stand and sell dogshit and people buy it more power to them ..

If you want to be upset direct your righteous anger to the actual enablers that purchase ..

Its the only reason its done ..

So .. if you have ever purchased from a cash shop you are part of the scum in bed .....

:)
    Scorchien said:
    Iselin said:
    Scorchien said:

Whats to bitch about

Welcome to Capitalism

If they can set up a stand and sell dogshit and people buy it more power to them ..

If you want to be upset direct your righteous anger to the actual enablers that purchase ..

Hate to break it to you but not all capitalists are lying scum. Only the lying scum are.
    McSleazNilden[Deleted User]

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

edited May 2021
    Iselin said:
    Scorchien said:
    Iselin said:
    Scorchien said:

Whats to bitch about

Welcome to Capitalism

Hate to break it to you but not all capitalists are lying scum. Only the lying scum are.

Well , some count on low hanging fruit being naive and stupid ..

again .. welcome to the world ..

And ill add most business lie to some degree , do a run down of every major co.   you will find lies ..

Ill also reiterate for you ..

They called it BEta , dial back this site 2008 , people were screaming to pay to beta ..

[Deleted User]
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Iselin said:
    They did exactly the same with Neverwinter and this site got tired of their BS and reviewed their so-called "beta" as released.
    That was later, around the time of launch, the beta actually they reviewed "normally", as OBT.
    And it indeed was very much so a beta product, if you think back on the duping, the rollback, etc.

With that said, Neverwinter really was among those proverbial last straws on the camel's back, since around that time this practice started to spread like wildfire.

They were in the middle of reviewing Firefall's and Dragon Prophet's "open betas", Neverwinter also had its real launch with an expensive starter pack (after two months of beta), when Bill has declared the new "regulation" for review: If a game
    • offers open signup to anyone
    • no character wipes later at the "real" launch
    • takes the players' money (through cash shop or access packs, etc.)
    then the site will cover/review it in the future as a launched game, regardless of what PR label (open beta, pre-alpha, gamma, delta...) the marketing teams come up with for their "soft launch".

So it wasn't Neverwinter alone, but it sure played a part in it... just to set the records straight :) 
    And Bill was right, ever since a lot of games try to hide behind the open beta shield with their cheap launches and inferior qualities.
    [Deleted User]
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Game is open to the public, with no more wipes, full on cash shop, and a battle pass for season 1.

Yeah sounds totally like a beta to me not just some soft launch marketing ploy crap.

It wouldn't matter if they did review it would still get like a 7.

I think that 2.1 one the user score for Metacritic sums this up.

It's nice to see a company not even give a shit about the well established literal testing and release stages of a product in their industry. Really inspirational stuff. Could you be more greedy liars? Sorry someone else already said it better...

Lying scum.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135

Welcome to Capitalism

Yet another person who mistakes pure greed, scamming and theft with free market competition. This is capitalism in the same way China is communist.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• jitter77jitter77 Member UncommonPosts: 512
    Not sure how its scamming players know what they are getting. People may hate the game and that's fine, but you don't have to play it or spend $$. Some people must like the game if they are spending $$. I spent probably 6-7 hours in the game and it is very mediocre at best so i will not be supporting it with $$. In fact i may not even play it again unless i am really bored or have a major update
  • Erinak1Erinak1 Member UncommonPosts: 205

Albatroes said:

People are still playing this?

People still write this?
    [Deleted User]
    edited May 2021
    @Po_gg,

Yes you're right in that Perfect World and Cryptic weren't the only one but the way I remember, Neverwinter was the straw that broke the camel back.

I was wrong about one thing though. It was Suzie that reviewed it, not Bill, while they were still calling it beta and in her intro she said this:

• Cryptic Studios released Neverwinter just over a month ago. While publisher Perfect World called it an “open beta”, the company had no issues taking players’ money for Zen used to purchase virtual items in the shop. Whenever that happens, the game is, in our mind, released
    https://www.mmorpg.com/reviews/an-astral-diamond-in-the-rough-2000055168

Evidently a live cash shop is no longer the criteria for calling it released and doing the review at mmorpg.com.

[Deleted User]

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

edited May 2021
    Torval said:
    Iselin said:
    @Po_gg,

Yes you're right in that Perfect World and Cryptic weren't the only one but the way I remember, Neverwinter was the straw that broke the camel back.

I was wrong about one thing though. It was Suzie that reviewed it, not Bill, while they were still calling it beta and in her intro she said this:

• Cryptic Studios released Neverwinter just over a month ago. While publisher Perfect World called it an “open beta”, the company had no issues taking players’ money for Zen used to purchase virtual items in the shop. Whenever that happens, the game is, in our mind, released
    https://www.mmorpg.com/reviews/an-astral-diamond-in-the-rough-2000055168

Evidently a live cash shop is no longer the criteria for calling it released and doing the review at mmorpg.com.

I did closed alpha through beta testing of that product. It was a really fun test run and one of the last real testing groups I was in. Neverwinter was such a fun game before the monetization ruined it.

Late beta they added in tertiary currency and the cash shop. But it wasn't the final cash shop. Their cash shop went through several stages before seeing it's more final incarnation well after official release. Each version and the pricing became more aggressive and predatory.

Then they eventually removed the Foundry and player built content "for reasons" which were really about monetization and how that feature didn't contribute to it.

When people ask for an example of how monetization can utterly ruin a game I point to Neverwinter, and to slightly lesser extent STO. And also to the cash shop in Daybreak era (post SoE) EQ2 and to post Turbine SSG with LotRO and DDO. At some point all those games couldn't help take some aspect of the cash shop and monetization to horrible and absurd. Because enough is never enough.
    Yeah I played it a bit during the "open beta" and shortly after release. I wasn't there to see the evolution (devolution?) of the cash shop but I followed it enough mostly though posts here to be aware of how it changed.

Interesting side note. A few months after ESO went B2P + optional sub + cash shop, (which if you were there at the start you'd know it was a very benign and non predatory shop) they hired their first full time cash shop dev. I forget the guy's name but he was the guy from Neverwinter responsible for theirs.

And that was the beginning of the end for ESO's cash shop. Loot crates, a plethora of "convenience" items, obnoxious new crafting lines (furnishings and jewelry) with cash shop relief, daily full screen cash shop ad, etc,. soon followed.

There's a clear and definite connection between Neverwinter's and ESO's cash shop. About the only thing missing in ESO is those obnoxious NW game-wide, broadcast announcements whenever someone opened up a loot box and got an epic item.
    [Deleted User]

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Iselin said:
    I wasn't arguing per se, just set the records straight as I said in
    Po_gg said:
    With that said, Neverwinter really was among those proverbial last straws on the camel's back, since around that time this practice started to spread like wildfire.
    [...]
    So it wasn't Neverwinter alone, but it sure played a part in it... just to set the records straight :) 
    You're right in Suzie did the review series (alongside the others, Grak had the Foundry Fridays, etc.), but Bill had the editorial later about the open beta shenanigans.

He had the Rant series alongside MMOFTW, and around that time the open betas reached a number the proverbial camel's back cracked.

In the editorial he used Neverwinter as an example, but even added Firefall too.
    (and in those weeks there was also Dragon's Prophet, World of Warplanes and maybe even Scarlet Blade if I remember right)

"The most recent case of this is of course Neverwinter, but Firefall seems to be doing the same thing"
    https://www.mmorpg.com/editorials/the-beta-is-a-lie-2000094532

I only said in my previous post, it wasn't Neverwinter alone, it was the growing trend within the industry.
    Especially since by that time Neverwinter was in open beta since two months, had an entire series of reviews already - and was preparing for the launch.

That's why the part in the editorial about the planned review summary with ratings in early June, and "If the game isn’t out of “Open Beta” and launched by then, it’s not really our concern."
    It was an important piece, putting the foot down so to speak, and from that moment reviewing "open beta" games accordingly.
    [Deleted User]Iselin