Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pantheon Development Update Tomorrow Will Dive Deeper into Road to Alpha | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599

imagePantheon Development Update Tomorrow Will Dive Deeper into Road to Alpha | MMORPG.com

Here's a quick public service announcement for all you Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen fans. The team announced they will host a development update live stream tomorrow, May 6.

Read the full story here

Comments

• VoidfarerVoidfarer Member UncommonPosts: 178
    Nice!
    SovrathMensur
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    wonder how much theyll be selling dev bathwater for
    Sovrathkikoodutroa8MensurSequriemenesisxlr8SamhaelKyleranScotelfdragon21Neanderthal
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited May 2021
    IDK if anyone else gets the same vibes right before Vanguard but i get that with this game.

I remember VG was basically same old  quite similar to the rest of the genre.VG banked on a couple new gimmicks,like actually seeing trees fall over and of course the umm what was it called,the sort of Diplomacy mini game idea.

This game has it's "perception"idea gimmick as well.However when i look for a game i might want to play,it is the CORE design that i look at,once the core is done up to my standards then sure added gimmicks add yet another layer.
    ANYTHING old school is no longer an acceptable standard,we broke through aged tech 10 years ago.
    Now even VERY small indie devs can make a more immersive game than the bigger mmorpg studios of old.
    There are some fundamental key factors in design i NEED to see now a days.OPEN WORLD no more instances or in case of this game fake open world/instances.I NEED to see an actual living world,an eco system and NO markers over npc heads or auto markers on maps.Players should mark their own maps.

I need to see the characters actually act like living characters,we need to eat,drink,we get tired etc etc.

In other words ,i need to see the ROLE PLAYING in the rpg and i need to see the MMO in the mmo world.

Mendel

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MaximusNovaMaximusNova Member UncommonPosts: 27

Wizardry said:

IDK if anyone else gets the same vibes right before Vanguard but i get that with this game.

I remember VG was basically same old  quite similar to the rest of the genre.VG banked on a couple new gimmicks,like actually seeing trees fall over and of course the umm what was it called,the sort of Diplomacy mini game idea.

This game has it's "perception"idea gimmick as well.However when i look for a game i might want to play,it is the CORE design that i look at,once the core is done up to my standards then sure added gimmicks add yet another layer.
    ANYTHING old school is no longer an acceptable standard,we broke through aged tech 10 years ago.
    Now even VERY small indie devs can make a more immersive game than the bigger mmorpg studios of old.
    There are some fundamental key factors in design i NEED to see now a days.OPEN WORLD no more instances or in case of this game fake open world/instances.I NEED to see an actual living world,an eco system and NO markers over npc heads or auto markers on maps.Players should mark their own maps.

I need to see the characters actually act like living characters,we need to eat,drink,we get tired etc etc.

In other words ,i need to see the ROLE PLAYING in the rpg and i need to see the MMO in the mmo world.

This have been stated many times, they are not doing a modern MMORPG but a social High Risk High reward like the old MMOS.
    With today MMOS you have beautiful graphics, but at the end of the day what do you have, just graphics and nothing else.
    So i would rather have less visual MMO where they focus more on Social gameplay, then a beautiful MMO that i play solo.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Listening to the plans for this game is like listening to where they are going to build hotels on Mars.......
    goozmaniaMendelKyleranelfdragon21
  • goozmaniagoozmania Member RarePosts: 394

Listening to the plans for this game is like listening to where they are going to build hotels on Mars.......

In the year 2000, we'll have nanites in our bloodstream that can keep us healthy.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    The road to Alpha is paved with... your donations.

I love how they even admit that a dragon might be susceptible to cold and that someone will have to 'figure it out' but also that figuring it out might mean looking it up on a spoiler site.  So much for the highly-touted perception system; it will really be meaningful only for the very first person to use it.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Wizardry said:

This have been stated many times, they are not doing a modern MMORPG but a social High Risk High reward like the old MMOS.
    With today MMOS you have beautiful graphics, but at the end of the day what do you have, just graphics and nothing else.
    So i would rather have less visual MMO where they focus more on Social gameplay, then a beautiful MMO that i play solo.

And you're 100% certain that it won't be a solo game in 6 months?  Sure, when it's new and no one knows exactly how the systems work, there will be plenty of groups.

Even if I am totally wrong about that and Pantheon comes off as a perfect "EQ with modern graphics", it won't really offer anything new to the genre; just the same old ideas that players abandoned 15 years ago.

• SylvinstarSylvinstar Member UncommonPosts: 158

Mendel said:

I love how they even admit that a dragon might be susceptible to cold and that someone will have to 'figure it out' but also that figuring it out might mean looking it up on a spoiler site.  So much for the highly-touted perception system; it will really be meaningful only for the very first person to use it.

No one is forced to use a spoiler site. In puzzle games and MMO's I always try - sometimes for hours - to figure something out before using a spoiler site. Much more rewarding to figure things out yourself. I suppose you may accidentally see something posted in Global chat that gives away what you are working on...but I look at that as good healthy community interaction anyway.

Mendel said:

Wizardry said:

And you're 100% certain that it won't be a solo game in 6 months?  Sure, when it's new and no one knows exactly how the systems work, there will be plenty of groups.

Even if I am totally wrong about that and Pantheon comes off as a perfect "EQ with modern graphics", it won't really offer anything new to the genre; just the same old ideas that players abandoned 15 years ago.

I haven't abandoned the old school ideas. Some were not great, but some were good. So far the Devs have said this will be a group centric game when it comes to getting through the content. I suppose you could choose to disbelieve this, but then you could choose to disbelieve pretty much anything any other dev team posts about their games.
    [Deleted User]

Wizardry said:

I could be wrong but some of your wants are included in Pantheon. Maybe not to the degree you are looking for though? I don't recall seeing any ? above NPCS, and I do remember in Dev streams NPC's calling out the player's in area chat because the player was a Dire Lord and the NPC didn't like Dire Lords. Seems like this is a step in the right direction. Honestly, with a team this small and obviously not a ton of funding I haven't any more expectations for this game than what has been shown already, and I can see myself playing it for years.

Wizardry said:

I could be wrong but some of your wants are included in Pantheon. Maybe not to the degree you are looking for though? I don't recall seeing any ? above NPCS, and I do remember in Dev streams NPC's calling out the player's in area chat because the player was a Dire Lord and the NPC didn't like Dire Lords. Seems like this is a step in the right direction. Honestly, with a team this small and obviously not a ton of funding I haven't any more expectations for this game than what has been shown already, and I can see myself playing it for years.

Edit: Loved the Diplomacy in VG, even in its unfinished state. I think offering zone-wide buffs through diplomatic interactions with NPC's (and wrapping it all up in a card game too boot) was a lot more than just a gimmick - especially considering the time when VG was released.

Mendel said:

No one is forced to use a spoiler site. In puzzle games and MMO's I always try - sometimes for hours - to figure something out before using a spoiler site. Much more rewarding to figure things out yourself. I suppose you may accidentally see something posted in Global chat that gives away what you are working on...but I look at that as good healthy community interaction anyway.

So, allocating developer time/effort/money into a system that effectively benefits a very few players (those who are first at doing something) is a good thing?  I certainly don't.

I can't tell you the number of times I was told that everyone needed to look up the raid instructions on a web site.  That was a contributing factor to why I stopped raiding. Secret information simply doesn't work in the era of spoiler sites, and it is looking more like that is what the Perception system is turning out to be.  More than anything, Pantheon's Perception system is more likely to drive traffic to Allakhazam than create any kind of meaningful 'reward'.

[Deleted User]

• WarzodWarzod Member RarePosts: 493

Mendel said:

So, allocating developer time/effort/money into a system that effectively benefits a very few players (those who are first at doing something) is a good thing?

Sure why not? I mean devs have been doing that for PvPrs and raiders for years.
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547
    edited May 2021
    I would love to see this game start a full alpha soon........

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• goldwheatgoldwheat Member UncommonPosts: 68
    edited May 2021

Tokken said:

That won't be happening any time soon, if the past 7 years of development are any indication.

There have been annual (more or less) estimates, from Visionary Realms, of alpha and/or beta for at least 5 years. They have never, in the entire 7+ years, demonstrated true persistence beyond temporary play sessions.

Also, they claim they're going to self publish, and that was the entire plan all along, while at the same time, have done every possible thing to delay self-publishing and attract a publisher, including hard coding every part of the game into the client, rather than separating client, server, and back-end persistence.

It's a gong show, and there's very little historical evidence to indicate they'll do anything differently in 2021 versus every year since 2014.

And for those keeping score at home, work on their so-called 'Project Faerthale' started in June 2018, according to the late Brad McQuaid, which means in one month, 3 years will have elapsed and there's no indication the Project was a success. EQ1 was devleoped in 3 years, for reference.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    goldwheat said:

Tokken said:

That won't be happening any time soon, if the past 7 years of development are any indication.

There have been annual (more or less) estimates, from Visionary Realms, of alpha and/or beta for at least 5 years. They have never, in the entire 7+ years, demonstrated true persistence beyond temporary play sessions.

Also, they claim they're going to self publish, and that was the entire plan all along, while at the same time, have done every possible thing to delay self-publishing and attract a publisher, including hard coding every part of the game into the client, rather than separating client, server, and back-end persistence.

It's a gong show, and there's very little historical evidence to indicate they'll do anything differently in 2021 versus every year since 2014.

And for those keeping score at home, work on their so-called 'Project Faerthale' started in June 2018, according to the late Brad McQuaid, which means in one month, 3 years will have elapsed and there's no indication the Project was a success. EQ1 was devleoped in 3 years, for reference.
    They are hard pushing to Alpha. From all Devs words and the breakneck speed they have been pushing out updates since they updated how they code the game. We will most likely see Alpha by Nov-Dec of 2021 to early 2022. VR has been clear that this is where they need to be, to have something substantial to show to investors. They have also been clear that the slow pace they have been making the game at, will not do. VR is now at a make the game sooner or bust. The game just won't be relevant in 5 years from now and they know it. If you don't see VR get some solid investors in the next 12-16 months. We will most likely not see the game they planed. 
  • goldwheatgoldwheat Member UncommonPosts: 68
    I've heard the same story of "we will most likely see.." for 7 years, they won't even have the networking stack done before Dec 31, 2021, based on history.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Mendel said:

How long do you suppose it will take chats to be filled with "LFG, Must Know Fights!"

It's why I stopped grouping with randos many years ago.

[Deleted User]Mendel

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• renstarensta Member RarePosts: 728
    So tired of these... it should be illegal to publish news more than once a year about a game in early development.
    elfdragon21

Basically clicking away text windows ruins every MMO, try to have fun instead of rushing things. Without story and lore all there is left is a bunch of mechanics.
    Add Multi-Quote

• xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    edited May 2021

Kyleran said:

It's why I stopped grouping with randos many years ago.

I'm not going to say i loved the thought of raider io, i wasn't playing the part of the game where that mattered in any way.

Now that i am, i get it and yes blizz needs to have this as part of the game. This enables you to do pug (pick and choose) but at least you are not randomly stuck with unknown people (randos) who will throw your key cause all they do is take free rides.

Mostly i play with the guild, well honestly all the time, but there are times we need to fill a spot or two and when it's your key on the line, thanks be to raider io. Pug'ing actually works with this tool, i'm impressed, and tbh before i thought it was basically a epeen tool. I mean gear score makes more sense too, not as much as raider io though, but a little.
    Kyleran
    My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    rensta said:
    So tired of these... it should be illegal to publish news more than once a year about a game in early development.

MMOs in 2021 are what might be in the future, not what do we have now.......I guess the fantasy of games is greater than the reality of them.
    Kyleran
  • elfdragon21elfdragon21 Member UncommonPosts: 47
    I wish larger companies released more MMOs, with quicker development than these little guys. I think it is sad we have to wait 10+ years now for a new MMO. However, we do have some good MMOs already like WOW, LOTRO, & SWTOR. I just started getting more into all of these and I think they all are satisfying in their own way.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    I wish larger companies released more MMOs, with quicker development than these little guys. I think it is sad we have to wait 10+ years now for a new MMO. However, we do have some good MMOs already like WOW, LOTRO, & SWTOR. I just started getting more into all of these and I think they all are satisfying in their own way.
    I think that's been the problem for awhile now, the larger companies abandoned the genre many years ago changing their focus on more profitable sub genres, at least if we're speaking of MMORPGS in particular.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861
    Mendel said:

To be honest I'd be thrilled to have a modern EQ.  I mean, it's not my dream game but I'd be happy to have it.  The one sticking point for me is the endgame.  I won't even consider playing a game focused on the type of big, multi-group raids that Pantheon is going to be focused on.

If someone could make a game that feels and plays like EQ pre-endgame and stays like that forever, I'd probably become a crazy fan, trash talking anyone who complains about it.  Too bad Pantheon isn't going to be that game even if they do someone manage to get a finished game out the door in my lifetime. 
    MendelKyleran