Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWG: Legends Bespin Expansion Launches Today | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599

imageSWG: Legends Bespin Expansion Launches Today | MMORPG.com

May the Fourth be with you because tomorrow will be the Revenge of the Fifth (sorry, not sorry.) Brian-puns aside, yes, today is May the fourth. This means the long-awaited Bespin expansion for SWG Legends is due to release today.

Read the full story here

Comments

• xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    This is HUGE!!!!

At the min, i want to log in and log out, then wait for the dust to settle a little. I couldn't even get on the forums last night the place is so busy. I just want the "i was there day one" bragging rights :)
    ZenJelly[Deleted User]
    My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • foxgirlfoxgirl Member RarePosts: 485
    I'm surprised Disney hasn't tried to shut them down... or did they hammer out some sorta deal to make them legit?
    ZenJellylonesol
  • NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835

foxgirl said:

I'm surprised Disney hasn't tried to shut them down... or did they hammer out some sorta deal to make them legit?

They've always been legit. Lucas gave his OK on EMU's way back as long as no one tried to make money on them and SWG can be found on the Abandonware site.

Also I don't think Disney got any rights to any of the gaming stuff.

Disney could probably make a fuss about it and spend a lot of money on lawyer fee's, but they probably don't think it's worth it.
    [Deleted User]

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    Anyone else first read the article title as "Bed spin" expansion?

No, just me, nevermind.

;)
    amithist[Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Erinak1Erinak1 Member UncommonPosts: 205

Nebless said:

foxgirl said:

They've always been legit. Lucas gave his OK on EMU's way back as long as no one tried to make money on them and SWG can be found on the Abandonware site.

Also I don't think Disney got any rights to any of the gaming stuff.

Disney could probably make a fuss about it and spend a lot of money on lawyer fee's, but they probably don't think it's worth it.

Disney could in theory make a fuss about them using the IP, but there is nothing they can do about the game. Disney tends to let mods slide in general so I can't really see them doing anything if they haven't already unless they decide to cut down on mods in general (Which would be insane, even for the mouse)
  • lonesollonesol Member UncommonPosts: 60
    edited May 2021
    foxgirl said:
    Your concept of that is strange, it seems you don't understand big corporations at all. What would ever make you think a corporation would waste time with lawyers, and courts to stop a few thousand people from playing a ancient video game they have no interest in? Not to mention it helps promote starwars, if they started banning swg servers, it would make those few thousand not want to spend money on anything starwars. 

So youre surprised a corporation won't spend millions of dollars hunting down star wars galaxies that makes no money has zero money making potential, and doesn't compete with anything they are doing? The surprise would be if they actually wasted all that time doing it. They can't sue them for money, the people running it have no money they would be interested in. It would be like trying to sue a homeless person for a dollar when you make 150 a hour. 

Swg nge is just a buggy, no crafting, no economy bad version of swtor. Swtor has hundreds of thousands of players. Swg nge has like 2000, which if you shut down swg legends all those people would not go to swtor they would go to swg emu. Then more legends servers would pop up later. 

That would be like saying you're surprised a insurance company paid out the 1500 dollar claim, vs paying experts to look into the truth of the matter. They do not gaf about what's right or true, they care about making money. No insurance company is gonna spent 15000 plus to not pay 1500.

No mmorpg company is gonna spent millions to shut down a 2000 player if that emulated server. My guess is more like 1000 since legends allows one person to play 3 at once. 

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,012
    lonesol said:

No mmorpg company is gonna spent millions to shut down a 2000 player if that emulated server. My guess is more like 1000 since legends allows one person to play 3 at once. 

hmmm I don't think they would spend millions. Most large companies have lawyers on-site to take care of stuff like that. I know we do.

Additionally, companies don't just shut down organizations using their IP just for money. They also shut them down if that organization is somehow tarnishing their brand or adding to their brand in a way that looks bad for them.

Additionally, if there are any issues with what that organization is doing to their IP then they sure as heck will shut it down as they don't want people looking at, in this case, the emulator, and thinking Disney has anything to do with it.

And sure, most to all people realize that they don't. But if there is any hint of impropriety that can be traced to them in their eyes, they will shut it down.

[Deleted User][Deleted User]Kyleran
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • lonesollonesol Member UncommonPosts: 60
    Sovrath said:
    lonesol said:

hmmm I don't think they would spend millions. Most large companies have lawyers on-site to take care of stuff like that. I know we do.

Additionally, companies don't just shut down organizations using their IP just for money. They also shut them down if that organization is somehow tarnishing their brand or adding to their brand in a way that looks bad for them.

Additionally, if there are any issues with what that organization is doing to their IP then they sure as heck will shut it down as they don't want people looking at, in this case, the emulator, and thinking Disney has anything to do with it.

And sure, most to all people realize that they don't. But if there is any hint of impropriety that can be traced to them in their eyes, they will shut it down.

Making them look bad is the same thing as losing money. As for you claiming disney is gonna get vindictive over swg is just utter nonsense. Even if legends put disney sucks balls and I own disney swg is so far under them they aren't going to care. 

That's not even getting into you can't shut it down it's a waste of time, some one else would just remake it. Your deflection of values other than money is redcilious. As for lawyers times money, and again they aren't going to pay them to stop a no value swg sever.

The only way swg is gonna even make a blip is if they started racking in the millions, which they don't nor will they ever  so end of story. Don't need speculation or lawyers to figure it out. Just like that private wow server which was left alone till they started making money by the pile. 

According to your logic disney's gonna come get me cause I made a shrine on my property that I let people go to for free, that says disney doesn't own jack, I am the true star wars master and owner. Now if I did that and made millions another story. Your nonsense that it's anything but money is just that. Swg makes zero dollars, there fore it will never be taken down regardless of what they do, other than start making money.
    WOW!!!

I wen't to Bespin and to everyone who worked on this...

THANK YOU!!!!!

Great job, Great Job!!!! Damn i'll admit i'm blown away at how well it was done, very profesional and just the fact it's new content i'm speechless... :)
    Sovrath

lonesol said:

Swg nge is just a buggy, no crafting, no economy bad version of swtor. 
    Well since SWG came out before SWToR I don't see how it could be any kind of version of SWToR.

As for the other; you're wrong about that too.  The Legends server is probably one of the most bug free games I've played.  Also crafting is everywhere and the economy is very much player driven and very active.
    foxgirl[Deleted User]

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• foxgirlfoxgirl Member RarePosts: 485
    Lonesol: the first line of your wall of text was snobby and condescending so I didn't bother reading the rest of it.
    xpsyncTiller[Deleted User]
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,012
    edited May 2021
    lonesol said:
    Making them look bad is the same thing as losing money. As for you claiming disney is gonna get vindictive over swg is just utter nonsense. Even if legends put disney sucks balls and I own disney swg is so far under them they aren't going to care. 

That's not even getting into you can't shut it down it's a waste of time, some one else would just remake it. Your deflection of values other than money is redcilious. As for lawyers times money, and again they aren't going to pay them to stop a no value swg sever.

The only way swg is gonna even make a blip is if they started racking in the millions, which they don't nor will they ever  so end of story. Don't need speculation or lawyers to figure it out. Just like that private wow server which was left alone till they started making money by the pile. 

According to your logic disney's gonna come get me cause I made a shrine on my property that I let people go to for free, that says disney doesn't own jack, I am the true star wars master and owner. Now if I did that and made millions another story. Your nonsense that it's anything but money is just that. Swg makes zero dollars, there fore it will never be taken down regardless of what they do, other than start making money.

I didn't claim they were going to get vindictive over Star Wars Galaxies so let's not go making things up.

My money comment was because of this bit:

"So you're surprised a corporation won't spend millions of dollars hunting down star wars galaxies that makes no money has zero money making potential, and doesn't compete with anything they are doing?"

Yes, tainting a brand is about money; that's why they would do it.

But as I already said, they have lawyers on-site making a regular paycheck whose job is to write cease and desist orders.

And while your statement that Star Wars Galaxies only puts the IP in the minds of potential customers is correct (based of logic) it's also wrong.

There are numerous YouTube videos on games and movies that are constantly being demonetized for some use of some IP. And they are not making millions.

Heck, the shorts "Adult Wednesday Adams" were brought down and the actress told to stop (no doubt from a studio lawyer already at hand) because they wanted to use the IP/sell the rights to the IP and didn't want her to embellish on it. And she wasn't making millions.

So make no mistake, if the Disney corporation thought that Star Wars Galaxies shouldn't exist they would make it "not exist."

They either don't know about it or think it's obscure enough that it isn't worth the e-mail to the lawyers saying "stop it."

Well, maybe obscure now but if it continues to get press on video game sites that could change.

We'll see.

Also, your last paragraph has no bearing on the discussion.
    Post edited by Sovrath on
    [Deleted User]Kyleran
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Is the game itself worth playing? Population, details, help?
    Sovrathxpsync[Deleted User]
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
    edited May 2021

YES!!!

Up front it feels a little clunky to control, it hasn't been refined as much as games are today, however, warming up to how it works isn't a huge hurdle to overcome for any gamer.

If you played it back in the day and liked it, you'll love it today as the community is fantastic. Everyone loves the game and loves helping new players.

This game i find has more events than all mmorpg's running today combined, it's one active world.

If you like depth, this is your new home, if you like to just level and explore, this is your new home, the game is not only massive in scale but equally in depth of the systems and content.

One heads up. When i came back i went through the huge epic quest line and omg i loved it so much, that yeah i've done it again and again, but what happens is you feel the mic drop in what do i do now once you cap?

Well... now you can play the game! Seriously, as this is when you start to roll up the sleeves and dig in on this mmorpg gem.

Player driven market, everything is made by players, BESPIN ROCKS, brand new content, real housing as in you put your home where you want, u can have 5 characters on one account, and have 3 simultaneously logged in to the world.

Player run cities, player elected officials, it's truly a world where players are in control. Give it a go and won't be long you'll be calling it home too.

No need for disks, they are right here, for free and free to play, donate if you want. I know i'm missing so much but it's here for you to discover.

https://www.myabandonware.com/game/star-wars-galaxies-an-empire-divided-be9

Install above only, then go here for the Legends installer.

https://swglegends.com/

I've been here for 3 to 4 years now so if you have any concerns about emu's, don't, the people running this game love it as much as the players. All emu means is it has been put into the hands of people who care, gamers! not suits or greedy corps. If anything it's safer than today's biggest games in regards to your privacy. All anyone wants is you to play and have fun, and not monitor you and figure out how monetize the game and try to squeeze more money out of you.

It's a wonderful place to be for people whom love mmorpg's.
    SovrathCryomatrix[Deleted User]

The numbers show right on the launcher; average is 1300 and their peak was 1900.  Now that's characters and they do allow alt's online at the same time so your probably looking at half of that as being active players.

Guilds and PUG's are a thing so you'll have others to help you out (needed at max level when you move into that content.

You have both a fully developed ground AND space game covering both PvE and Pvp so there's plenty to do.  

If you liked the (now) middle 3 Star Wars movies then you should be fine here.  There's a main quest line to get you to max and a bunch of older mini-quest lines through out the game.

The people running the emu obviously love the game and have worked hard to clean up any problems with the original AND have added a lot of new content like buildings, ships and quest content.

Only warning I'd give would be when you make your account you'll need to wait for them to OK you so it can be a little wait at times if none of them are online monitoring for it.  So don't be disappointed if you can't jump in within 2 seconds of creating an account.
    xpsync[Deleted User]Kyleran

edited May 2021

Nebless said:

"a fully developed ground AND space game"

"mini-quest lines through out the game."

Yep i knew i forgot something and much more i'm sure of, a full blown space game, not tacked on, full blown as in some players only play that and still have plenty to do all the time. Also forgot about the plethora of mini quest lines throughout all the worlds, and the brand new Bespin quest lines ofc :)

Probably another thing to mention is you'll need to be the type of player who likes to figure stuff out. An og mmorpg player pretty much.

As in a lot of research on the web, you'll be doing that here much more than say wow. In wow there are times you need to research and much more if you're a progression raider but not all the time.

Here though, it's part of the game in many ways. And NO not all of time, much of the time you can just play, but when it comes to say creature handler yeah research is part of the game for a spell.

• amithistamithist Member UncommonPosts: 28

Kyleran said:

Anyone else first read the article title as "Bed spin" expansion?

No, just me, nevermind.

;)

Alone you are not
    [Deleted User]

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    edited May 2021

lonesol said:

(...) Swtor has hundreds of thousands of players. Swg nge has like 2000, which if you shut down swg legends all those people would not go to swtor they would go to swg emu. Then more legends servers would pop up later.  (...)

i think your numbers are sliiiightly off here ;)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"