Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Swords of Legends Online Alpha Preview - Checking Out Gameforge's New MMORPG | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599

imageSwords of Legends Online Alpha Preview - Checking Out Gameforge's New MMORPG | MMORPG.com

We had the chance to check out the alpha for the upcoming Swords of Legends Online. Here are Bradford's initial thoughts at of the massive MMO, from first thoughts about combat and the world design to its cash shop.

Read the full story here

Comments

• RemaliRemali Member RarePosts: 914
    Kinda disappointed its not open world but I will keep an eye on it nevertheless
    Lucixashiru_1978[Deleted User]
  • LucixLucix Member UncommonPosts: 79

Remali said:

Honestly, if done properly like FFXIV it can't hurt. But, constantly going back to your class-world-hub, that sounds really lame.

Skipping this one.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited May 2021
    On the plus side, this will help educate people on why Gameforge is so bad, just like Dark and Light showed people why Snail was such a backwards company. Experience is the best teacher.
    KyleranRaagnarz
  • SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    Yawn. Pass.
    Kyleran

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Gameforge still has the one b2p game that was 'hyped up' and forgotten about within months of being announced. Kingdom something?
  • ashiru_1978ashiru_1978 Member RarePosts: 818
    I might have given it a try if it was F2P, but I won't spend money on this game, I have a felling it's not good enough to cost money and it will not do well on the long run, it might even go F2P in the future.
    Kyleran
  • yonpachiyonpachi Member UncommonPosts: 191
    Is it worth a buy?

They said they don't publish it for South East Asia region, but I check on my Steam they are taking my Rp. currency. After checking at SteamDB it seems they only block Singapore,Malaysia,Vietnam while allowing the rest of ASEAN, what gives?
  • CuddleheartCuddleheart Member UncommonPosts: 391
    Ahhh man. I, for some reason, had this confused with Justice Online. I was hoping for that to release in the west so I could check out how DLSS works in an MMO.

Is this tab target or aim? Anyone know?
  • dasX82dasX82 Member UncommonPosts: 104

Ahhh man. I, for some reason, had this confused with Justice Online. I was hoping for that to release in the west so I could check out how DLSS works in an MMO.

Do you like Blade and Soul you will like this, you dont, this is not your game.
    CuddleheartKyleran[Deleted User]
  • lotrlorelotrlore Managing EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 543
    edited May 2021

It's weird - it's tab target, but will also auto-target the nearest enemy to you if you don't have one selected. But you don't aim, I've not seen a ranged skill miss. Melee skills? Sure, if they aren't in range. We'll have more throughout the week as we continue playing the alpha.
  • eoloeeoloe Member RarePosts: 864
    edited May 2021
    Was the acronym "SOLO" intended? /s
    Kyleran[Deleted User]
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Just not interested in this design anymore so will be passing.
    [Deleted User]RexKushman

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,556

The western version is using the old Havok engine. But in China, the developers re-did the whole game in UE4. Which will have DLSS. Who knows if this game will last long enough to get the upgrade here in the west.

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Honestly, i doubt there is anything innovative in this game at all. Nothing new, just a shitty reskin of a tired genre.
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • lotrlorelotrlore Managing EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 543
    Kumapon said:

The western version is using the old Havok engine. But in China, the developers re-did the whole game in UE4. Which will have DLSS. Who knows if this game will last long enough to get the upgrade here in the west.

DLSS is currently in the Alpha, so I would expect to see it in the final version as well. We shall definitely see.
  • FalcomithFalcomith Member UncommonPosts: 830

Remali said:

I did bring this up literally 20 mins ago in the Sword of Legends Online discord. And from what I understand from what the moderators told me, is the zones are instanced but huge. The best I can described it as like GW2. Where the zones are separated by a instance portal.
    And with speaking with the mod, it seems like main quests, class quests will be in the main hub, but there will be other random quests you will run while out in the world.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited May 2021
    The three packages tells you a lot about this Gameforge.Pay about 50 or so more for a mount ..LMAO.
    Also the prices have been jacked up since only a month ago,from 39.99 to now standard is 59.99 that is why you NEVER hype games,they feel they can rip everyone off.
    So we went from 39/59/99 to now 53..79 and 139.
    So we know Steam takes about 25-30% well it seems it was nice of Steam or Gameforge to jack THEIR take on to the consumer.

First of all they sent out copies with NDA's so restrictive reviews and imo BIASED reviews.When yo ugive out a copy to a YouTuber or MEdia site to review but then have to sign and NDA that is just a very scummy move right from the get go.

You know who else did the exact same thing>>Cyberpunk,they wanted to silence the critics and just let the biased marketing get off the sales first.

I wouldn't be surprised if this article on this site had to be ok'd by Gameforge first.
    Lastly i am not a fan of SILLY ideas like running across water or flying or the crouching tiger hidden dragon idea.It's nice to watch in a movie but i don't want that stuff in my game.

I also feel that this game like so many is a shallow game with the real focus being end game pvp and well their real intention is likely to run a cash shop.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Should be interesting to hear the voice overs and how well they are done.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• FalcomithFalcomith Member UncommonPosts: 830

Wizardry said:

The three packages tells you a lot about this Gameforge.Pay about 50 or so more for a mount ..LMAO.

Also the prices have been jacked up since only a month ago,from 39.99 to now standard is 59.99 that is why you NEVER hype games,they feel they can rip everyone off.

So we went from 39/59/99 to now 53..79 and 139.

Not sure where you got that, but its still 39/59/99. Unless I misunderstood what you are trying to get at.
    https://gameforge.com/en-US/play/swords_of_legends_online
  • KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,556
    Kumapon said:

I found the video !!

[Deleted User]
  • NeoyoshiNeoyoshi Member RarePosts: 1,068
    edited May 2021
    Why are some of my Chinese and SEA friends telling me this game is no where near as popular in China as these articles are making it out to be?

The popular Chinese game in China is still Justice online & Fantasy Westward Journey, while the top game in china is Dungeon Fighter Online.

SOLO doesn't even make it in the top 20 list's on the Chinese game rating boards, and if you do a google search for top Chinese mmorpg's, a lot of the time World of Warcraft or Justice Online is mentioned mostly.

So what's going on with the conflicting and false information surrounding this game?
    EDIT: Currently Gu Jian Qi Tan Online (SOLO) is ranked 43 right now among popular games. And for some context, Guildwars 2 is ranked 14, Final Fantasy XIV (china) is ranked 26, with Dungeon Fighter Online being 1 and League of Legends being 2
    Cuddleheart

Fishing on Gilgamesh since 2013
  • NeoyoshiNeoyoshi Member RarePosts: 1,068
    edited May 2021
    dang it... i did it again. D: (hit the quote button instead of the gear)

Fishing on Gilgamesh since 2013
  • BatzenbaerBatzenbaer Member UncommonPosts: 76

Neoyoshi said:

Why are some of my Chinese and SEA friends telling me this game is no where near as popular in China as these articles are making it out to be?

The popular Chinese game in China is still Justice online & Fantasy Westward Journey, while the top game in china is Dungeon Fighter Online.

Realy?Dungeon Fighter Online looks like King of Fighters from 1994.
    I dont want play SNES/NeoGeo Games in 2021.

• CuddleheartCuddleheart Member UncommonPosts: 391

Neoyoshi said:

SOLO doesn't even make it in the top 20 list's on the Chinese game rating boards, and if you do a google search for top Chinese mmorpg's, a lot of the time World of Warcraft or Justice Online is mentioned mostly.

So what's going on with the conflicting and false information surrounding this game?

EDIT: Currently Gu Jian Qi Tan Online (SOLO) is ranked 43 right now among popular games. And for some context, Guildwars 2 is ranked 14, Final Fantasy XIV (china) is ranked 26, with Dungeon Fighter Online being 1 and League of Legends being 2

This checks with what I had heard and why I had this confused with justice online.
  • FortieFortie Newbie CommonPosts: 2
    Lots of ppls just bulling the game and never played it, lol.
    I hope there is lots of players who dont read these butthurts comments and will have their own opinion on the game. :)
    And what WIZARDRY wrote is totally a lie ... Mounts and costumes didnt cost that much, same for a game.