Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

All DCUO Episodes Will Be Made Free to All Players Ahead of Summer Expansion | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599

imageAll DCUO Episodes Will Be Made Free to All Players Ahead of Summer Expansion | MMORPG.com

The latest development update for DC Universe Online has been published, pointing to some pretty exciting information if you're a player of the MMO. This includes news about the monetization - or lack thereof - of new episodes.

Read the full story here

cheyane

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Mutha-f.....might actually play again....
    I am wondering if this will include the powers as well? or will those still be paywalled somehow?
    [Deleted User]
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    I was thinking of hopping back in, this sounds like a great incentive. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Very clever of them.
    ScotMendel[Deleted User]Po_gg
    Chamber of Chains
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Such a good offer even the cynics on here think it is good.
    Mendel[Deleted User]doomex
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Won't go back until they remove that lame ass credit cap.
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Hariken said:

Incentive to buy the sub like ESO's crafting bag.

Making episodes free is the best thing to happen for DCUO in a long time. Now for just $15 a month the entire game minus capsule loot can be experienced and that is A LOT of replayable content.

I said it before but will say again that Daybreak and all their devs are geniuses compared to other joke studios and now that they are teamed up with other smart people(EG7) more good things will surely come our way.
    MendelSensaidoomex
  • Scott_JeslisScott_Jeslis Member RarePosts: 628

Mars_OMG said:

That's pretty nice :) . Definitely login and grab them !

No grabbing needed LOL They'll just remain free is my understanding. Now us subscribers wait to see how they will back-fill this previously sub only "feature". Guess it also sucks for the premium peeps who bought the episodes in the past?
    [Deleted User]
  • Dharkarai49Dharkarai49 Member UncommonPosts: 26
    This is pretty nice, i'd come back with Everquest getting a new Random Loot/Free Trade prog server very soon i'm afraid i'll be there instead. Have they changed DCUO at all ? last time i played it was such a slog of a grind to get even close to end game content, altough there was plenty of people playing older content so you could still old raids and get the gear.
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556

This is pretty nice, i'd come back with Everquest getting a new Random Loot/Free Trade prog server very soon i'm afraid i'll be there instead. Have they changed DCUO at all ? last time i played it was such a slog of a grind to get even close to end game content, altough there was plenty of people playing older content so you could still old raids and get the gear.

It's still mostly the same but they do give free max character boosts once in a while.
    edited May 2021
    Its definitely weird though since the total cost of the episode count is around 300$ on steam.....I doubt all features of each on will be free.
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680

BruceYee said:

Hariken said:

Making episodes free is the best thing to happen for DCUO in a long time. Now for just $15 a month the entire game minus capsule loot can be experienced and that is A LOT of replayable content.

I said it before but will say again that Daybreak and all their devs are geniuses compared to other joke studios and now that they are teamed up with other smart people(EG7) more good things will surely come our way.

Yeah i have a character with broken gear that i can't play because of that lame ass credit cap. If gear repair was free then i wouldn't care about the credit cap.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Ill be jumping back in ... Fun game ..
  • dartseeddartseed Member UncommonPosts: 23

BruceYee said:

Hariken said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the entire game available to experience for $15/month even before the episodes were made free to everyone? All the episodes were included in that monthly fee of 15 bucks.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited May 2021
    dartseed said:
    Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the entire game available to experience for $15/month even before the episodes were made free to everyone? All the episodes were included in that monthly fee of 15 bucks.
    That's correct, but Bruce's still right, it's an incentive for the sub still. And a very clever one, as @cheyane said.

It's easy to forget the episodes aren't just paywall-locked but CR-locked as well, and the latter is the tougher nut to crack.
    I'd wager more players buy a month of All Access for the benefits (like the cash cap Hariken mentioned) and the more "bearable" grind, than for the content access.

As I've said under the DCUO ReRoll article,
    Po_gg said:
    [...] what really begins [at level 30] is not the fun, but the grind... and the subscription too, since the CR grind as a free player ain't something I'd suggest to anyone.
    At the core DCUO is still a subscription game [...]
    Them making the episodes free to all is in practice an advertisement. Players will more likely buy the sub when they can actually see what will they access after the grind.

With a themepark example (not far fetched from the MMORPGs genre :) ) currently there are closed doors with notes like "behind this door is the rollercoaster, do 100 pushups and 50 jumping jacks (the grind part) and pay $10-$15 for the ride".
    It will be replaced with an open door, can go there to see the rollercoaster, which is a better incentive to start doing those pushups and jumping jacks - and the sub helps there a lot.

It's a win-win, when players need the sub anyway for a smoother and more optimal CR raising grind, the content access might as well be removed from the sub and used as a promo tool. A very good move, imo.

I'm more interested in the subscription revamp part. Ever since they've separated the games into different studios I've been saying All Access won't stay for long, and probably this move is the beginning of that process.
    The discussion on the forums about what should be in the new subscription is interesting so far, personally I'd like to see more character slots (altoholic here...).
    Scot