Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Are You Playing During the Pandemic? May 2021 Edition | MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    edited May 2021
    Kyleran said:
    I've got no problem with the "times" we live in, but I do find it weird and unsettling to know people play a rotation of 3, 5 or more games in a short time span.

It's as if they can't find any they really enjoy, almost like they are endlessly wandering the desert seeking a game to enjoy.

Now me, still playing ESO but coming up on month 3 I'm not sure I'll continue much longer, probably time to start searching for the next "one" game to play.

Cheers, see you all in June.
    This is as much down to the players as the games. We are overrun by casuals who think that sort of gameplay is normal. The gaming studios push that playstyle with ever easier games, so if you never started playing until about 2007-10 (though there is no clear demarcation point), easy mode is all you know.

As we get older we get jaded, we have seen it all before, but we also have a hobby which is moving to a more generic one size suits all approach in every gaming genre. Assassins Creed is a perfect example of that. Similarity breeds boredom in gaming.

We are in the Nomadland of gaming, but we are seeking a home that is unlikely to come, I do enjoy the gaming mirages I play, but this life as a nomad is very romanticised both in the film and in gaming. We were much better of when we had a real home.
    Kyleran
  • RemaliRemali Member RarePosts: 914
    Spending most of my time in BDO again
    Will take a break at the 27th for solasta though
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    I am playing EQ2. Loving it so far. So many games have given up the things that contribute to the feeling of being in a world. Like learning the languages of the mobs you're fighting so you might understand what they are saying before they die a horrible death to your fists.

Love the monk movements in particular. Everquest always did monks well even in original game.
    Chamber of Chains
  • waveslayerwaveslayer Member UncommonPosts: 511
    been playing WoW, but I think I am done with it for good, just don't like the direction its been going, then reading the article that the CEO got a 200 mill year end bonus, not something I want to support anymore.

Godz of War I call Thee

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    edited May 2021
    I've always been the type to play multiple games at once. It isn't about games being "too easy" (there's no such thing). It isn't about not enjoying them or not being satisfied with them. And it isn't a flaw with the games or with me.

It's just in line with my goals (experiencing as many games/stories as possible in my short time on this planet) and I do need the occassional pallet-cleanser depending on my mood.

Who are you to tell me that my preferences are wrong or unsettling? Maybe your narrow experience is wrong. Maybe you aren't experiencing enough of what the medium has to offer. Maybe your hundreds of hours on Fallout 76 is a display of bad taste and poor judgement. Maybe you don't actually love the medium of video games. See? Doesn't feel too good, does it?
    Kyleran
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    tzervo said:
    Aeander said:
    It isn't about games being "too easy" (there's no such thing).
    Tottaly agree with that part. I always found the phrase "too easy" weird in the context of multiplayer/MMO, especially since there is always someone better than you. Never had an issue challenging myself equally from the super casual and supposedly "easy" GW2 to the "harder" EVE or Albion or Screeps. When you think a game is easy all you have to do is pick a harder goal. As long as this does not ruin your fun that is.
    Hrmm, having fun has been the harder goal in recent years, at least when it comes to MMORPGs.

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited May 2021
    Kyleran said:
    tzervo said:
    Aeander said:
    It isn't about games being "too easy" (there's no such thing).
    Tottaly agree with that part. I always found the phrase "too easy" weird in the context of multiplayer/MMO, especially since there is always someone better than you. Never had an issue challenging myself equally from the super casual and supposedly "easy" GW2 to the "harder" EVE or Albion or Screeps. When you think a game is easy all you have to do is pick a harder goal. As long as this does not ruin your fun that is.
    Hrmm, having fun has been the harder goal in recent years, at least when it comes to MMORPGs.

;)

Most mmorpgs just have too many soft-resets to really care. Every patch is pretty much doing the same thing with a different coat of paid with the 'challenge' point just being the new raid. Couple that with gearing feeling lazier and lazier in many mmorpgs. WoW doing away with gear sets back in bfa because they seriously thought that tying your only character advancement to gear was something that wasn't completely braindead if they honestly played their game and you have FFXIV which doesn't even try with their gearing system, just flat stats on everything. I'm not sure about others, but one thing that used to motivate me to raid was the cool bonuses I could get, like occasionally having my abilities fire off a dragon or some crap. There's nothing better for me than to just be in pugs and crap like that happens and people are like "wtf was that?"

And before the knights in white say "Ion said gear sets are coming back in 9.2!" think long and hard on why they thought it was a good idea to do away with them in the first place. This is also the same guy who thinks you should be penalized just because you prefer to pick a versatile class instead of dedicating yourself to one spec. AND MAKE SURVIVAL HUNTER RANGED AGAIN FOR FK SAKE. 3 FREAKING SHOTS AT THIS MELEE GARBAGE AND IT STILL FAILS!
  • UNH0LYEV1LUNH0LYEV1L Member UncommonPosts: 571
    Path of Exile, but god damn its been complete shit lately with all the dumb ass changes GGG has been making.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited May 2021
    Po_gg said:
    [...]
    Which is fortunate timing, then I'll hop over to AoC since their anniversary will be towards the end of May - unless Funcom forgets it, wouldn't be a first.
    (since Nebless like AoC, probably he'll go there as well, after the Bilbo mission chain :) )
    A bump to that (since most likely will miss the news section :) )
    AoC's anniversary is on, Funcom hasn't forgot it this time - "only" missed half of it, and the other half is the very same of last year's...