Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ashes of Creation's Combat Revamp Won't Complete Until After Alpha One | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599

imageAshes of Creation's Combat Revamp Won't Complete Until After Alpha One | MMORPG.com

Ashes of Creation's (AoC) creative director, Steven Sharif, took to Reddit today to answer some questions about the combat revamp that was originally slated for a March Alpha One Preview Test. The revamp is meant to make combat more fluid, although Sharif indicates that the final form of combat may still change as AoC's development continues.

Read the full story here

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited May 2021
    lol people so excited for 'alpha 1,' how long has SC been in alpha now? Alpha 3.0128391728397 or whatever they are calling it? I know I know SC nerds, they are working on 2 games at once yadayada.
    Blastoize[Deleted User]Gdemami
  • LinifLinif Member UncommonPosts: 338
    Albatroes said:
    lol people so excited for 'alpha 1,' how long has SC been in alpha now? Alpha 3.0128391728397 or whatever they are calling it? I know I know SC nerds, they are working on 2 games at once yadayada.
    As far as I'm aware, SC is also far more ambitious in what they're trying to achieve. You're comparing apples and oranges here.

(P.S: No I'm not a SC fanboy  ;) )
    KyleranGroqstrongMcSleazYashaXGdemami
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    "Intrepid Studio’s has also been in receipt of two PPP loans, the first back in April of 2020 for 1.13 million for 52 employees and the second in February of 2021 for 1.4 million dollars with 82 employees, indicating that .."

...the game's development isn't nearly so "self-funded" as they would have people believe.

Slapshot1188Blastoize[Deleted User]Scot[Deleted User]YashaXGdemami

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    Kyleran said:
    "Intrepid Studio’s has also been in receipt of two PPP loans, the first back in April of 2020 for 1.13 million for 52 employees and the second in February of 2021 for 1.4 million dollars with 82 employees, indicating that .."

...the game's development isn't nearly so "self-funded" as they would have people believe.

I learned long ago to read what Stephen says very carefully. He infers things... people pick up one it and then use it as though its indisputable. 

I asked bunches, even directly on these forums in a back and forth about whether he ACTUALLY put in $30 million of his own money and he never answers.

Blastoize[Deleted User]Scot[Deleted User]YashaXGdemami

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

"The revamp is taking a bit longer than expected. We are still in the process of overhauling the backend of the combat and ability systems before we touch the front end components. The changes and prototypes will be rolled out slowly and in phases during and post alpha one"

AKA- We know we are going to get killed for this core system, despite all the time spent on our Apocalypse Battle Arena which was supposed to speed this up. Here is a paper shield so when people see how bad it is we can say it's a placeholder.
    KyleranBlastoizeNecroma[Deleted User]YashaXGdemami

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• CuddleheartCuddleheart Member UncommonPosts: 391
    What will release first? AoC, CU or Half life 3?
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Well we can't compare this to SC.SC is just a scam and from day 1 and i am not getting into that again but i do remember most everything that was said by Chris from day 1.

This game ran into some disarray for at least a full year so it set the game back quite a bit.I am not goin to get into all that again either but i never belived for a minute that Steven was selling snake oil.
    I am sure this game will be good enough for many people it is just not my type of rpg ,no big deal.

I always have some games to pass the time with,for the last 4 months been playing Valheim and hoping the devs actually add some content "not crossing my fingers".

Somewhere out there is a studio making another survival game,i can only hope it is a good one but again not crossing my fingers.

I have been aroudn the gaming scene long enough,from day 1 actually and seen it all.What i have seen as trends over the years is not so good.I am talking about "improving" the genres".

Time has shown me that we get the BEST games in each genre EARLY on,after that it is just studios running a mock trying to cash in on thecurrent trends.
    I feel confident in saying  I already played the best of each genre and am not likely to see any better ever again.So all i can hope for is something NEW and creative and Ashes is NOT that game.

PuReDusT

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969
    im guessing they are turning this into the typical "action combat" game like most things these days? I really wouldnt mind a slower paced tab style game, kinda bummed they seem to be jumping into the ADHD action kids stuff that is all the rage.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited May 2021

Linif said:

Albatroes said:

As far as I'm aware, SC is also far more ambitious in what they're trying to achieve. You're comparing apples and oranges here.

It honestly doesn't matter how 'ambitious' a project is, the point of my post was just to show that something having an alpha (insert number here) doesn't honestly indicate anything on its release window. For all we know, Intrepid can have this be in alpha for the next 5 years from this point.
    Blastoize[Deleted User]YashaXGdemami
  • ElonMuskElonMusk Member UncommonPosts: 129
    These devs said, heck, if Star Citizen can do it, so can we. Ridiculous, really really sad, but not surprised at all. gg
    BlastoizeGdemami
    Duke Nukem 2025
    Mouloxtos85Cuddleheart

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Albatroes said:

Linif said:

Albatroes said:

It honestly doesn't matter how 'ambitious' a project is, the point of my post was just to show that something having an alpha (insert number here) doesn't honestly indicate anything on its release window. For all we know, Intrepid can have this be in alpha for the next 5 years from this point.
    And Camelot Unchained has shown "Beta One" can drag on for years.
    AlbatroesSarla[Deleted User]YashaXGdemami

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited May 2021
    Kyleran said:

I think that as long as the business doesn't decrease its employee count within a set time, PPP loans do not need to be paid back. They're essentially pandemic subsidy the government is giving away to businesses.

It has nothing to do with whether the studio is already fully funded. If someone (in this case government) is stupid enough to give them money, they'd be stupid not to take it.
    KyleranGdemami

• elc8745elc8745 Member UncommonPosts: 51
    Some of you people are ridiculous. Holding it against a company that they took PPP loans? Especially businesses in California that needed all the help they could get. I'd bet most other companies that are making mmo's or other video games took every dollar they could get.

The rest of the thread isn't even worth responding to. You guys sound so angry.
    KyleranSlapshot1188Gdemami
    Clearly folks here have limited understanding of where the government's money to "lend" comes from.

Pro tip, hang on to your wallet.

Slapshot1188Gdemami

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited May 2021
    WTF does "more fluid" mean,is combat thirsty?

I look at combat as either good or it is not good.Good combat has lots of depth and not straight up dmg versus dmg.

I would like to see games lean on that Storybrick idea and create some diversity in how players earn ALL of their spells/abilities/items.

I am tired of the linear game designs,everyone follows the exact same patterns.I would like to see each player receive THEIR own set of pre reqs and quests and chores to attain THEIR own "stuff".

The idea of ALWAYS BOSS fights for best items turns me right off.I want to see ONE developer be creative...for once.

Also in their recent gameplay streams we never see any mention of the node system.Typically i hear some random chit chat,they are moving about on mounts then i get bored and turn it off.
    I already know what random chit chat is and i already know what riding around on a mount is like,give me SOMETHING that says "WE ARE CREATIVE".
    Blastoize

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Morgenes83Morgenes83 Member UncommonPosts: 286
    1. FIFA 2036 North Korea World Cup edition
    2. Battlefield 15
    3. Bless 8
    4. Star Citizen Squadron 42 Alpha PreView
    5. Half Life 3 Early Access
    6. CU combat Beta
    7. AoC pre Beta first Look

BlastoizeKyleran[Deleted User]

1997 Meridian 59 'til 2019 ESO 

Waiting for Camelot Unchained & Pantheon

elc8745 said:
    Some of you people are ridiculous. Holding it against a company that they took PPP loans? Especially businesses in California that needed all the help they could get. I'd bet most other companies that are making mmo's or other video games took every dollar they could get.

Help me understand.  What help would a self-proclaimed “fully-funded” development team require?  This isn’t Bob’s Cleaners who’s business dried up.  This is a team who’s owner said he could self fund development, that is still developing the game.  Were we misled and if there was no government donation would people have been laid off?  Is he not really able or willing to self-fund?  How much have they made in sales (even though we were told they needed zero).   

Maybe I’m missing something.  Please help me understand.
    KyleranYashaXGdemami

elc8745 said:

Help me understand.  What help would a self-proclaimed “fully-funded” development team require?  This isn’t Bob’s Cleaners who’s business dried up.  This is a team who’s owner said he could self fund development, that is still developing the game.  Were we misled and if there was no government donation would people have been laid off?  Is he not really able or willing to self-fund?  How much have they made in sales (even though we were told they needed zero).   

Very difficult to get this point across but you did a great job here.

PPP loans were intended to help companies negatively impacted by the COVID-19 virus, not those suffering from their own ineptitude, which is clearly the case for not only this project but others which also have been taking loans such as CityState / CU and worse, SBS / COE.

YashaXGdemami

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Kyleran said:
    elc8745 said:

PPP loans were intended to help companies negatively impacted by the COVID-19 virus, not those suffering from their own ineptitude, which is clearly the case for not only this project but others which also have been taking loans such as CityState / CU and worse, SBS / COE.
    It does not matter what they intended to do. It only matters what they actually do. And what they do is give money to every company equally whether they are affected by Covid or not.

We don't live in fantasy la-la-land where companies would be expected to be highly moral and declined offered subsidy on the grounds that it's not really intended to them. We live in reality where they're trying to make profit, and are expected to take all subsidies that they qualify for.
    [Deleted User]KyleranGdemami

edited May 2021
    Vrika said:
    Kyleran said:
    elc8745 said:

It does not matter what they intended to do. It only matters what they actually do. And what they do is give money to every company equally whether they are affected by Covid or not.

We don't live in fantasy la-la-land where companies would be expected to be highly moral and declined offered subsidy on the grounds that it's not really intended to them. We live in reality where they're trying to make profit, and are expected to take all subsidies that they qualify for.
    Yet you literally have to initial/sign this line in order to apply:

Current economic uncertainty makes this loan request necessary to support the ongoing operations of the Applicant.

So again, back to my point above,  what help would a self-proclaimed “fully-funded” development team require?  This isn’t Bob’s Cleaners who’s business dried up.  This is a team who’s owner said he could self fund development, that is still developing the game.  Were we misled and if there was no government donation would people have been laid off?  Is he not really able or willing to self-fund?

If he cannot self-fund then that is the answer. Maybe he would have had to lay off his team without the loan.

But you cannot continue to claim that the game is self-funded, or able to be self-funded and then apply for a loan based on the above criteria which again, he literally had to initial or sign.

[Deleted User]cheyaneHaki88Kyleran[Deleted User]Gdemami

• elc8745elc8745 Member UncommonPosts: 51
    Whether it's fully funded or not has nothing to do with a PPP loan. Costs of the business could have increased during the pandemic. Productivity could have decreased, which could potentially increase costs and future costs. Any number of other factors I'm not going to sit here and think about.

Most businesses that could take a PPP loan, took one.

[Deleted User]KyleranYashaXGdemami
    elc8745 said:

Link?
    Gdemami

elc8745 said:
    Whether it's fully funded or not has nothing to do with a PPP loan. Costs of the business could have increased during the pandemic. Productivity could have decreased, which could potentially increase costs and future costs. Any number of other factors I'm not going to sit here and think about.

I think you have a different understanding of Fully Funded than most people.  What you are describing is quite literally a situation where they are NOT fully funded and thus need help.   

And that’s fine.  If he was going to have to lay off people because he could not pay them, well that’s what the loans were designed for.  But if that is the case let’s stop the “Fully Funded” charade and admit they are on the same funding precipice as their other crowdfunded peers.

KyleranGdemami