Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO Reroll - DC Universe Online | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited April 2021 in News & Features Discussion

imageMMO Reroll - DC Universe Online | MMORPG.com

Mitch tackles DC Universe Online in this edition of MMO Reroll. How does it stack up in 2021?

Read the full story here

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,824
    edited April 2021
    Nothing wrong with adjusting a list as you get in more data, this is the OP's overall perceptions not the laws of mathematics.

DCUO felt dated even when I gave it a go, maybe four years after launch? The DC feel is there but so much of the gameplay seems a bit basic. There is a lot of content though, but after CoH it just tasted undercooked.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    From my off-and-on attempts at DCUO, I'd call it a lackluster, uninspired game with a solid IP.  It's good for awhile if you're a DC fan, but there's just not much to it except the cash shop.  This is one game that could have been much, much better.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    A nice ReRoll article again - and not only because CO is still on the 3rd place of the podium :)

"why did the mere mention of DCUO during my Reroll of Champions Online lead to so many adverse reactions?"

I fail to remember those reactions, I believe there was a friendly and civilised discussion under the article... the only thing comes to mind is Quizz's pun about DCUO and carpal tunnel, which is a valid point if you play on PC and do the combos with the mouse.

"Level up to thirty by playing the story missions. Be sure to collect as many feat points as you can. Then, once you hit level 30, the fun really begins. The End. Have fun!"

You see those "guides", because that's actually how the game is.
    A very short and quick leveling to 30 (you can almost call it as an extended tutorial), after that the rest of the game opens up.

I'd make a slight edit there, what really begins is not the fun, but the grind... and the subscription too, since the CR grind as a free player ain't something I'd suggest to anyone.
    At the core DCUO is still a subscription game, its f2p is more of a trial. The story and leveling to 30 is mostly ok-ish as a free player, but then it's pay time - and much smarter to pay for the sub than to pay for the individual content unlocks and everything else.

With that said, DCUO is a fun game. I prefer CO (and former CoH), but still used to go back for a DC spin occasionally. I agree with the overall conclusion of the article, game's weakest point for me is combat too.
    (Maybe because I play on keyboard and mouse, allegedly it's better on controllers.)

The setting, voice acting, exploration, the seasonal events, etc. are all fun.
    Not to mention among the superhero games DCUO is hands down the most supported and updated one.
    Probably the largest playerbase as well - which is an easy match though, with one is in the back burner, and the other is on private servers...

"But DCUO’s iconic setting can trump the more enjoyable combat that Champion’s Online has to offer."
    Sidenote, CO's setting is iconic too, just for a smaller audience...
    Sure, doesn't have movies, etc., but has a 40 years long history and six editions - not really a contest, just saying, D&D is still only at the 5th edition :) 
    (kidding.
    AD&D makes it six.
    B) )

Fun tidbit, since the article mentioned the limits in character creation, only humans with three fairly similar heights:  giants in CO tomorrow.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    My big complaint about DCUO is that you have to hit a button every single time you want to attack. It's not bouncing between different buttons. You can't even just hold it down and have the game figure out that you want to keep attacking. You hit the same button over and over and over again. That's an obvious repetitive strain injury waiting to happen. And when it's that obvious, I quit quickly, rather than waiting for the injury to actually happen.
    Po_ggScot
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,824
    edited May 2021
    Quizzical said:
    My big complaint about DCUO is that you have to hit a button every single time you want to attack. It's not bouncing between different buttons. You can't even just hold it down and have the game figure out that you want to keep attacking. You hit the same button over and over and over again. That's an obvious repetitive strain injury waiting to happen. And when it's that obvious, I quit quickly, rather than waiting for the injury to actually happen.
    Maybe but you can't beat old TSW for combat, all that mashing made it feel like a fight game. :)
    Post edited by Scot on
  • MarknMarkn Member UncommonPosts: 307
    Rift would be such a better game if it actually had active developers like DCUO or even EQ1 or 2.
  • dmcmahonjrdmcmahonjr Member UncommonPosts: 15
    I've bounced in and out of the game the whole ten plus years. They've totally revamped the power and skill systems in that time. Twice, I think.
    To be honest, I like going through the first 30 levels with your character finally proving themselves worthy of joining the JLA or SSoSV. I liked teaming up with or having classic DC heroes send me on those early missions. I really enjoy playing a magic origin villain all due to the sheer over-the-top voicing of Circe! The VA really gets a kick, to my mind, voicing her lines. It always puts a smile on my face listening to her.
    I've got two accounts where I've gone through just about every power and skill combo and developed my likes and dislikes. So that's 50 characters, bought a few character slots too.
    It's after I make level 30 that the game becomes less enjoyable. It goes from a directed game to a sandbox game with grinding. That's when the game is less enjoyable to me.
    I really wish that they would add in some directed missions after level 30 where we team-up with the legends or rescue them, like we do in the first 30 levels. Be a combination of directed and sandbox.
    I've played COH, DC and Champions and that's the order I like playing them.
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,495
    Yeah, the combat was/is so bland that the only reason I ever managed to force a character to level 30 was due to a couple of friends playing. It always felt like a poor man's City of Heroes despite having a strong, established IP.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Loosely related (but since it most likely won't be covered in the news section...)

Mitch mentioned in the earlier CO ReRoll the low free/locked ratio of Archetypes, and I added that many of those can be unlocked for free during events - well, this one is maybe the easiest of those events.

Vehicle race around the skyscrapers of MC (temporary free one provided in case of vehicle-less players), and on the rewards list besides cosmetics and free vehicles are two AT unlocks, the Devastator and the Rockstar.

Latter is a fire and sonic-focused tank, and not the devs of a certain vehicular crime game :)