Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Microsoft discounts it's cut in their store to 12%

KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
PC Games only and is the same cut Epic gives devs if this article is to be believed.

If true, just puts more pressure on Steam but may also result in yet another platform of exclusive titles to navigate.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/29/22409285/microsoft-store-cut-windows-pc-games-12-percent

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Comments

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    More money to the devs is to be applauded.

But, also doesnt affect me in the slightest. I care what the game costs me, and how I can access the game. The primary reason I've always avoided the MS store is that it's way more expensive than Steam, and less convenient to use.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited April 2021
    If this is true i also have to applaud Microsoft AND of course Epic.

Steam imo has no doubt been operating as a monopoly becasue.....

Well because instead of operating as a store front,they lock you in to THEIR platform.The affect it has has already been noted many times by gamers in that they don't want several platforms and because Steam was first they already have gamers "locked in".

The other problem with being locked in to Steam became apparent early on when gamers who did charge backs had their accounts and ALL their games banned.Wel when we buy a game from a store,we can do a charge back and Steam can't do a single thing about it other than try and deny the charge back.They however cannot flex their muscle/platform and ban AL of our games.

Obviously if someone has a game for 3 weeks then says i want a refund you can't trust the person did not already finish the game. However Steams stance has long been to do ONLY what the law forces them to do which is as of now the 2 hour ordeal which is also handled improperly by Steam.

It is good to see that Epic and Microsoft are operating in good faith as a competitive market should.

Tuor7

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SandmanjwSandmanjw Member RarePosts: 527
    I guess the question is....will this matter?

Can any others do this and make money? We read an article the other day about how much this is costing epic....now MS will try but is it really sustainable in the end?

Unless we see stores (who does not matter I think) that can do something like this and make money, I do not think steam will care at all.

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Sandmanjw said:
    I guess the question is....will this matter?

Can any others do this and make money? We read an article the other day about how much this is costing epic....now MS will try but is it really sustainable in the end?

Unless we see stores (who does not matter I think) that can do something like this and make money, I do not think steam will care at all.

Epic hasn't been losing money due to the low percentage cut they take from each sale, they're losing money because they're spending crazy money to secure exclusive games and promote their new store.

MS doesn't have to worry about that. They own enough studios to get their own exclusives for free, and they've been running their store long enough for most PC gamers to be aware of its existence.

So, their lower cut from sales really won't affect Microsoft at all