Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Prophecy complete!

KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
Many years ago when this site began broadening it's focus from MMORPGs to games in increasingly outside of it's core including even single player titles I jokingly said it was only a matter of time before they started covering sports games like Madden because, you know, they had 22 "players" on the field.

With the recent news story regarding the leaked EA FIFA internal document we've finally reached the bottom of the slippery slope.

As was once first said almost 2000 years ago

Cheers  B)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

[Deleted User]delete5230GdemamiAlBQuirkyScot[Deleted User]cameltosisAsheramScorchienTokkenand 2 others.

Comments

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Huh? What did I miss this time?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    edited April 2021
    I think the article had wider implications for gaming and how companies behave and therefore was a good pick for the site, as I am sure Kyleran realises but the prophecy is fullfed all the same. :)
    [Deleted User]
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,165
    KyleranKidRisk
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    Scot said:
    I think the article had wider implications for gaming and how companies behave and therefore was a good pick for the site, as I am sure Kyleran realises but the prophecy is fullfed all the same. :)
    Well yeah, but I really wanted to use that slippery slope GIF, it was perfect considering how often the phrase has been used here, expect to see it again.

;)
    [Deleted User]RexKushmanKidRisk[Deleted User]UngoodScotAlBQuirkyAsm0deus

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    It is kinda odd how MMOs just stopped.....The main ones now were made years ago: ESO, BDO, GW2, WoW, etc etc etc......If we wanted to stay in touch with games we had to go outside of that MMORPG box...There just isn't anything there.
    GreatnessKyleranGdemamiYashaXAlBQuirkyTuor7
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Good job on the predictions Kyleran :-)

Not that I'd say the article is about Fifa directly, and more about one of the largest game publishers in the world confirming that they're greedy fucks.
    GdemamiAlBQuirky
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited April 2021
    I have a good one ..

On this site , in i believe was 2007 -08, When Scot Hartsman and his side kick decided it would be great to set up an EQ2 server that offered every item for cash ..

I said it was a slippery slope then that the entire genre would slip down ..

Fought for pages here with some real idiots that thought it was a great idea..

Yes .. we have Scot Hartsman to thx for RMT ... what a dick
    GdemamiAlBQuirkyTheocritusTuor7
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Lottery numbers for tomorrow night please.
    [Deleted User]AlBQuirky
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:

312, 901, 764, 718,305 ...  1$ 1$  Nite
    KyleranAlBQuirky
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,012
    edited April 2021
    Scorchien said:
    I have a good one ..

On this site , in i believe was 2007 -08, When Scot Hartsman and his side kick decided it would be great to set up an EQ2 server that offered every item for cash ..

We have the players to thank for RMT.

Scot Hartsman didn't start selling items and gold for Everquest on ebay.
    BruceYee[Deleted User]AlBQuirkyVermillion_RaventhalTuor7
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Sovrath said:
    Scorchien said:
    I have a good one ..

SH introduced into the Dev stream .. The other activity was illegal and punishable by BAn , which did happen at times ..

SH made it legal thru game rules for such transactions ..

So yea hes a fucking POS that the Industry is better off with out
    BruceYeeGdemami
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Yeah this site was not leaning like it usually does on marketing business partners,this was at least imo just an article about the dubious activity of developers.
    Besides that this article was not of this sites doing ,i read it two days prior somewhere else ,maybe it was game industry biz or some site like that i forget.
    AlBQuirky

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,012
    Scorchien said:
    Sovrath said:
    Scorchien said:
    I have a good one ..

SH introduced into the Dev stream .. The other activity was illegal and punishable by BAn , which did happen at times ..

SH made it legal thru game rules for such transactions ..

So yea hes a fucking POS that the Industry is better off with out

I'd say that developers were spending a lot of time and money trying to stop people from buying items and they finally realized that "other" people were not only buying items but also making money on their work.

Think about it, how much time and energy does it take a studio to find and legitimately ban hundreds upon hundreds of thousands of players buying gold or items.

It's an uphill battle that they can't win and it's unfair they have to spend time and resources battling these people as well as getting rid of players.

No, they figured that if players wanted to spend money then the developers would be able to offer more value for their effort.

All they are doing is giving a segment of the gaming population what they want and they are able to profit from it as opposed to throw money away right and left battling players.

Of course, they still ban people, and then we hear players scream "I've been banned unfairly."

Whether that's true or not.

They can't win. Either spend a lot of their money stopping players which is just a faucet of throwing away money or spend their money appeasing a segment of the population and actually getting a return.
    Gdemami[Deleted User]AlBQuirkyUngoodTuor7
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • RungarRungar Member RarePosts: 1,132
    edited April 2021
    Unfortunately I think I may have started this avalanche inadvertently back in 2000ish. I sold my lv 55 EQ cleric to some guy in Australia for $500 bucks on ebay. The beginning of the end. 

now I have become destroyer of worlds....
    Kyleran[Deleted User]AlBQuirky
    .05 of a second to midnight
  • GrymmoireGrymmoire Member UncommonPosts: 181
    Iselin said:

There you go you just have to arrange them!
    YashaXAlBQuirkyScot
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    edited April 2021
    I think they can go lower. Just follow the industry example:

I mean they already sold out and couldn't care less about the integrity of the games. They went from banning people to selling it themselves. I wouldn't be surprised to see them sell bot programs or cheats or well anything at this point.

We already crossed the point of no return and it's all about monetization over merit, greed over gameplay, convenience over community, and turning players into payers.
    KyleranScotIselinAlBQuirkyGdemamiTuor7

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177
    37k posts... wowzers... hopefully you have a good diet or something as sitting at a computer as much as you do has got to be taxing...
    AlBQuirky

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

Naw, I write most of these sitting in the loo.

;)
    [Deleted User]cameltosisAlBQuirkySovrathTuor7Gorwe

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Scorchien said:
    I have a good one ..

SOE was constantly looking for every possible way to squeeze money from its playerbase....Their greed was a big reason why I gave up on their games.
    AlBQuirkyGdemami
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,172
    It is kinda odd how MMOs just stopped.....The main ones now were made years ago: ESO, BDO, GW2, WoW, etc etc etc......If we wanted to stay in touch with games we had to go outside of that MMORPG box...There just isn't anything there.

All those you listed are still ongoing, along with numerous other titles still running commercially or on private servers.

There is no need to go outside the MMORPG box. They remain in abundant supply.
    AlBQuirky
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    My prophecy is there wouldn't be a new AAA Western MMORPG before 2030. None are known to be development so it may hold true.  
    GdemamiKyleranAlBQuirky
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    My prophecy is there wouldn't be a new AAA Western MMORPG before 2030. None are known to be development so it may hold true.  

SC and New World both have AAA budgets and are being built in the west, probably a good chance one of them will release in the next 9 years. But perhaps not, your prophesy may hold true

Of course, AAA used to be a measure of quality, rather than budget, but these days it only ever seems to refer to budget.
    GdemamiAlBQuirky

SC and New World both have AAA budgets and are being built in the west, probably a good chance one of them will release in the next 9 years. But perhaps not, your prophesy may hold true

Of course, AAA used to be a measure of quality, rather than budget, but these days it only ever seems to refer to budget.
    Only one of those might qualify as a MMORPG so the race is still on.
    AlBQuirky

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    It's not really odd if you look around.
    All dev studios pay attention to the marketplace.They see all these SIMPLE low budget games making loads of money so they begin to realize that spending loads of time and money on a very expensive mmorpg is way too risky and doesn't amount to bigger profits.

Wow fooled a LOT of devs thinking that if they could garner even 5% of what Wow was making they would be swimming in money.

If you are not a giant studio with loads of marketing/influencers/streamers hyping up your product you have to be be BETTER,a LOT better and that formula does not work for smaller studios.
    So we are in a VERY long duldrum of studios aiming for EASIER markets,low budget games,mobile games,BR's,Early access and outright SCAMS.

So it is only the big studios that have the money and size to target ALL the genres that will deliver some sort of mmorpg to us.There is simply no incentive for the otehrs to risk making a mmorpg.

AlBQuirky

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198

Forgot about New World. It was a survival game before seemly being transitioned into a themepark. 
    AlBQuirky