Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elite Dangerous Odyssey Is Removing Its Exo-Biology Minigame For Launch | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited April 2021 in News & Features Discussion

imageElite Dangerous Odyssey Is Removing Its Exo-Biology Minigame For Launch | MMORPG.com

Elite Dangerous Odyssey is currently undergoing alpha testing on PC, and one of the major points of feedback has been in response to the minigame aspect of its major exo-biology feature. The Genetic Sampler minigame will be removed before or around launch time in responnse to the feedback.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    Better to remove then leave in something which is just causing consternation.
    [Deleted User]Sandmanjw
  • StarWarrior957StarWarrior957 Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Sometimes it feels like Frontier is just a publisher and not a Developer. To completely remove the feature, when even players came up with an easy likeble alternative:

A tragic day for Elite Dangerous Odyssey. I fear for their reviews after release.
    Gdemami
  • GreenSage39GreenSage39 Member UncommonPosts: 144
    edited April 2021
    Millenials and Zoomers and even a lot of Gen X are basically just stupid and lazy. They don't want to be held to any standard anywhere.

I say let them be and rot. The fact they got rid of this new thing in this new game [at a time when the masses of their kind are shown to be content locusts] just goes to show the traits of these gamers. And there is no dodging this. It's just another +1 why these people are just...you know.
    rtbbvr
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Torval said:
    Scot said:

QTEs in these scenarios usually aren't that interesting past the first couple times you do them. Take EQ2 crafting for example. There is a QTE involved in that which is often praised for adding depth to crafting, but it doesn't. It just becomes a series of rote rotations that serve no real purpose.

This isn't like combat where hopefully there are factors and tactics involved. It's just a time waster and repetitive stress contributor.

I could have summed it up with "it isnt' very fun", but I know you hate that. :lol:
    I hate QTE everywhere just on general principle :)
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,403
    edited April 2021
    Apparently the fps combat is kinda meh with it being bullet spurge and stretegy not much involved whereas levels are as in if you're under level of the enemy your kinda out of luck.

Will be curious to see first hand reviews when it goes live. 

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• SandmanjwSandmanjw Member RarePosts: 527

Millenials and Zoomers and even a lot of Gen X are basically just stupid and lazy. They don't want to be held to any standard anywhere.

I say let them be and rot. The fact they got rid of this new thing in this new game [at a time when the masses of their kind are shown to be content locusts] just goes to show the traits of these gamers. And there is no dodging this. It's just another +1 why these people are just...you know.

Anyone that plays ED is anything BUT a content locust....

This game is made and played in a way that stretches out even travel. If the people that play and enjoy it have issues on things being off...the dev's are quite right to listen and remove/change things to keep their long term players happy.

There is always a point that doing things repetitively change from fun to just not....and then no one plays them anymore. Finding that balance is incredibly hard and easily something that can ruin a game quickly.
    Asm0deus[Deleted User][Deleted User]
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    Iselin said:
    Torval said:
    Scot said:

QTEs in these scenarios usually aren't that interesting past the first couple times you do them. Take EQ2 crafting for example. There is a QTE involved in that which is often praised for adding depth to crafting, but it doesn't. It just becomes a series of rote rotations that serve no real purpose.

This isn't like combat where hopefully there are factors and tactics involved. It's just a time waster and repetitive stress contributor.

I could have summed it up with "it isnt' very fun", but I know you hate that. :lol:
    I hate QTE everywhere just on general principle :)
    Well it is different gameplay, not what we would expect in a MMO and I always applaud that as diverse gameplay helps with the grind, the sameness of all MMO gameplay. I am not exactly a QTE fan, which I associate with consoles and old arcade games. So I would wish for something better, but QTE is better than just the same old systems.

You are quite right I hate the word "fun" in gaming because it is so overused and really just means "I like this" rather than give any real indication of how good the gameplay is. Poor Cheyane was the last person to get my knee jerk reaction to it being used. :)
    [Deleted User]Gdemami