Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What level of forced interactions do you like?

2»

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    Scot said:
    If I am playing in a gaming genre that is overwhelmingly aimed at soloing to top level, then I am forced to play solo even if it is technical possible to group. Oh right that would be the gaming genre of virtually all MMO's then.
    Well...yes and no.

Take my recent ESO experience, I am leveling to the top mostly solo because it's convenient to do so.

I could however level almost entirely by running in instanced four man groups using the group finder (ugh) or putting together teams of my own which I've actually done on several occasions when my friends were available.

It actually would be faster to level in groups assuming of course I could always get one but as any DPS will tell you queue times can easily be 15 to 30 minutes while of course I as a tank might take 30 seconds.

I also would get better gear, solo play has me wearing mostly greens with a few blues while dungeons give mostly blues with a few purples.

Now, once I'm up for it I can run Veteran 4 man's which yield better gear for greater difficulty, but at this level there's real risk of failure if everyone doesn't execute well.

Then there is the 10 person Trials / Raid content, more challenge, more risk, more rewards

Now, it's really up to me to choose what path I want and what level to participate in, so I'm not forced to take any particular path.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GorweGorwe Member Posts: 1,428
    edited April 2021
    Sovrath said:
    Gorwe said:
    Sovrath said:
    The thing is, I think the whole idea of using the word "forced" is just way off the mark and just speaks to people playing the wrong game.

I also think that this word is used to detract from a game so one can leverage a completely different opinion against its design.

If a game has no combat and is completely about crafting (Tale in the Desert from what I understand) then is that really "forced crafting?"

If I'm playing something like planetscape then "yeah" there's going to be shooting and a lot of it.

So to the point, if I'm playing a game where you must group then I'm either in or out. Don't wreck other's fun if you don't like it. And if you can't play on a competitive level seek out people who run about your speed.

I think the game should be "what it is" and people who play should be aware if there's a lot of grouping or not.

I'm ok with solo games. I'm also ok with entirely group-based games. People should find what floats their boat accordingly. The game should just try to be good and it should be made toward the correct audience.

While this might and probably is true, what about if a person doesn't have any other RPG in his beloved IP? What if he just don't feel like socializing? What if they just like the game, but don't necessarily want to socialize via gameplay? And so forth.

I would be extra careful with this...discreteness. While I do like neatly designed and purposefully produced products, I just can't shake the feeling of gatekeeping which in many cases will provide an anti effect of sorts.
    life isn't perfect so what can I say? You don't play the game. 

That's the other problem with the genre, everyone seems to think that every game should cater to them. That's silly.

And I don't even know what you mean by "gatekeeping." Look, the games "are the games." play them or don't. If they are set in an IP you like but the gameplay isn't what you are looking for it's not the game for you. Simple as that.

Look, I like brunettes. But just because I see a cute brunette doesn't mean I want to date them if our lives aren't compatible. 

But it isn't so clearcut, is it? Otherwise, you are going to set yourself on the path of "no". Besides, I keep asking this, how do you know whether a game is or is not for you? Let's say a middlecase, how do you decide?

And, just like with games, so is with dating. Even though later is far more nuanced, you can apply your lateral thinking(say, modding) skills to adapt to a person if you really like her. Besides, just like with games, maybe I just want some carefree, badass fun? Doesn't take a ring(late game grind) to start having great time. But, indeed, sometimes it just don't work. I don't like heavy themes, overly morose atmosphere etc. Meaning, as good as GTA(for example) is, I simply can't like it. Similar with Game of Thrones.

tldr: NUANCES
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Gorwe said:
    Sovrath said:
    Gorwe said:
    Sovrath said:
    The thing is, I think the whole idea of using the word "forced" is just way off the mark and just speaks to people playing the wrong game.

I also think that this word is used to detract from a game so one can leverage a completely different opinion against its design.

If a game has no combat and is completely about crafting (Tale in the Desert from what I understand) then is that really "forced crafting?"

If I'm playing something like planetscape then "yeah" there's going to be shooting and a lot of it.

So to the point, if I'm playing a game where you must group then I'm either in or out. Don't wreck other's fun if you don't like it. And if you can't play on a competitive level seek out people who run about your speed.

I think the game should be "what it is" and people who play should be aware if there's a lot of grouping or not.

I'm ok with solo games. I'm also ok with entirely group-based games. People should find what floats their boat accordingly. The game should just try to be good and it should be made toward the correct audience.

While this might and probably is true, what about if a person doesn't have any other RPG in his beloved IP? What if he just don't feel like socializing? What if they just like the game, but don't necessarily want to socialize via gameplay? And so forth.

I would be extra careful with this...discreteness. While I do like neatly designed and purposefully produced products, I just can't shake the feeling of gatekeeping which in many cases will provide an anti effect of sorts.

That's the other problem with the genre, everyone seems to think that every game should cater to them. That's silly.

And I don't even know what you mean by "gatekeeping." Look, the games "are the games." play them or don't. If they are set in an IP you like but the gameplay isn't what you are looking for it's not the game for you. Simple as that.

Look, I like brunettes. But just because I see a cute brunette doesn't mean I want to date them if our lives aren't compatible. 

But it isn't so clearcut, is it? Otherwise, you are going to set yourself on the path of "no". Besides, I keep asking this, how do you know whether a game is or is not for you? Let's say a middlecase, how do you decide?

And, just like with games, so is with dating. Even though later is far more nuanced, you can apply your lateral thinking(say, modding) skills to adapt to a person if you really like her. Besides, just like with games, maybe I just want some carefree, badass fun? Doesn't take a ring(late game grind) to start having great time. But, indeed, sometimes it just don't work. I don't like heavy themes, overly morose atmosphere etc. Meaning, as good as GTA(for example) is, I simply can't like it. Similar with Game of Thrones.

If you don't know, but are curious, you try it, if you don't like it you move on.

It's pretty simple.
    IselinGorwe[Deleted User]MaDeuce
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • LosingplayerLosingplayer Newbie CommonPosts: 11
    Sovrath said:
    Gorwe said:
    Sovrath said:
    Gorwe said:
    Sovrath said:

If you don't know, but are curious, you try it, if you don't like it you move on.

It's pretty simple.
    QFT
  • GorweGorwe Member Posts: 1,428
    Sovrath said:
    Gorwe said:
    Sovrath said:
    Gorwe said:
    Sovrath said:

It's pretty simple.

It's never that simple with me. Ok, sometimes there is. But in these midpoint scenarios, there is always something pulling me in, something pushing me out.

Not everything can be Armada(...that was a discovery and a half), but that don't mean it's not fun on some level. Let's take WAR for example:

I don't really like RvR, Scenarios are fine, PvE is fine, core gameplay is very fun, I love the IP(could be less morose though, but it is 6th after all), overall it's very fun. Even if I don't like its "core"(Keeps etc).
    Kyleran