Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How big is your game backlog?

TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
edited April 2021 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
I saw this same topic brought up on kotaku and figured we could talk about it here.

I don't know about you all, but I have games literally spread across multiple platforms and game launchers on PC I've never even downloaded. Some free other I paid for but only put a small amount of time in thinking I would go back, but never did. Some were just so terrible I couldn't continue. Lots of free games on Steam and Epic I will probably never play but figured I would grab just in case. I'm not even going to go into console games I guess. I get a pass since my kids mostly took those over throughout the years.

(Not counting MMOs of course) at this point I would imagine I'm hovering around at least 500+ titles I've yet to dive into or even finish. Too many to actually count accurately since I consider not finishing some games in there entirety part of said backlog, so I can only give an estimate.

4x games are probably the hardest for me go back to once I shelve them for a while since I feel like I have to relearn the entire game again to get anything out of it which takes considerable time and i find myself quickly wanting to play something else. Sim games are probably the games I've put the most time into but after expansions hit I jump ship due to them becoming increasingly expensive. Take Cities Skylines for example. I've put over 100 hours into it, but I feel it's harder to pick back up now due to the multitude of expansions for it I don't own because I feel they are slightly overpriced.

Sometimes I get envious of those folks who find that one game they can literally dump hundreds of hours into where I'm only able to manage maybe 2 or 3 hours. More power to them they really get their monies worth. Looking at Steam Stats, none of the top games even interest me; for some of those people those are the only games they play. Hundreds of hours are being put into Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, almost 1 million people playing at any given time. If only life were that simple, having one game you love to play....never caring about what else is out there because you found that one "It" game. :|

So what does your Backlog look like?

SWG Bloodfin vet
Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Babuinix

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Not as bad, probably around 20. Now that I've finished my mod I have more time for actually playing games.

Though there are games that just take up more energy that are difficult to finish. I like souls type games but after dying a few times I just lose the will to continue so usually have to go and do something else. So I end up "slowly" getting through them.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    I have about 50 titles on my Steam wishlist, but the ones I have bought and downloaded I at least play for a few hours before moving on.....
    Albatroes
  • DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    I have games I have bought (or got for free) during Covid Lockdown that I haven't even run once yet.  I just can't seem to be bothered.
  • GorweGorwe Member Posts: 1,428
    What is a "backlog"?
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Gorwe said:
    What is a "backlog"?
    Meaning games you have but have yet to play. But you plan to "eventually."
    Gorwe
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    edited April 2021
    Sovrath said:
    Gorwe said:
    What is a "backlog"?
    Meaning games you have but have yet to play. But you plan to "eventually."

Thank you. If that is so, including the "I want / plan to play, but still haven't" stipulation, then some 15-ish. Without that stipulation, in a wider sense, some 70-ish.
    Po_gg
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    edited April 2021
    I own about 3000 games total of which I haven't played close to 300. As for games I actually want to play out of those 300? About 10/15 I reckon.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    TillerPo_gg[Deleted User]Kyleran
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Very few games are in my backlog, maybe 5-10.

I do have a lot more games in my library that I've never played, but also don't intend to play. Most of those I bought as part of a bundle but I only wanted to play one game in the bundle.

I also have a decent amount of games that I've only played for a short amount of time and then shelved. Some of these were impulse purchases. Some of these were me falling for the hype. Some of these were deliberate educational purchases: I knew I wouldn't like them, but felt like I would still benefit from some first hand experience (Mass Effect and Bioshock are good examples)

Po_gg
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Gorwe said:
    What is a "backlog"?

constipation ...... ...... .. ..
    TheocritusGorwe[Deleted User]
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I get a lot of free games off epic that i wouldnt get ever, so i dont consider on my backloy. 

One game i kind of want to play is kingdom come deliverance, pillars of eternity, swg legends (now that j figured how to get a copy) and them i cycle between games, path of exile, starcraft 2, project entropia, and rocket league. 

But weirdly, im getting really bored with poe, last season i played more than usual and was planning on skipping thia league but read up on ultimatum and liked it. I did play a bit of the 2nd subnautica but got stuck and dont have the desire to go figure it out again.

I do want to try dark souls 3 again. So perhaps a backlog of about 3 to 4 games.

But im truly like kyleran, usually, a one game at a time person. Then again, im back to laddering in starcraft 2 and i need breaks from that, plus, i can only play when everyone is asleep in the house. 
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited April 2021
    I agree with how Gorwe and Camel detailed/separated the groups, since it's really different.

Most of the time I can successfully dodge the hype and impulse purchases, so on the narrow meaning, about games I've bought and intend to play in the future, the backlog is minimal. 5-6 games maybe.

On the broader sense, games I have (either for free, or as part of a bundle with a game I wanted to buy), never played yet, and don't really intend to either... a lot. Don't even dare to count them.

I try to minimalise that number and reduce the clutter, recently I don't even claim free games anymore, unless I really want to play them, and only buy from Humble when at least half of the games in the bundle I want to play - as opposed to my original "hoarder" approach of claiming all the free offers, and buy bundles even if I only want one single game from it.
    Gorwe
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    My policy on this is 'don't ask don't tell'.  My number is an embarrassment and a  testament to my inability to control my purchase of games I might play and haven't touched.
    Scot

Po_gg said:
    I agree with how Gorwe and Camel detailed/separated the groups, since it's really different.

Most of the time I can successfully dodge the hype and impulse purchases, so on the narrow meaning, about games I've bought and intend to play in the future, the backlog is minimal. 5-6 games maybe.

On the broader sense, games I have (either for free, or as part of a bundle with a game I wanted to buy), never played yet, and don't really intend to either... a lot. Don't even dare to count them.

I try to minimalise that number and reduce the clutter, recently I don't even claim free games anymore, unless I really want to play them, and only buy from Humble when at least half of the games in the bundle I want to play - as opposed to my original "hoarder" approach of claiming all the free offers, and buy bundles even if I only want one single game from it.

Thank you. It is in my nature to work in discrete systems, with clear categories. Of course, sometimes things fall into multiple categories, but categories themselves should be clear and discrete.

As for me, most of my wider category mostly comes from Humble Bundle games I cared to even redeem. And as for the narrow band, I used some liberty there. I don't exactly know what I want to play, but I know there are a handful games on the lager(idk, Nioh 2, Mechanicus, new classes etc for Chaosbane and such).

But I don't even purchase games that much anymore. I've got most things I wanted. Now, I can try Taliskers and the like.
    Po_gg
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    It's massive but I'm happy replaying the same games I've already played.
    [Deleted User]Gorwe
  • TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
    Question... what are the most famous titles on your backlog?

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Amazing Cultivation Simulator, No Mans Sky, Dragon Quest Builders. Others are crappy ones not worth mentioning for uhh... "trading card" purposes. Yep.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

Question... what are the most famous titles on your backlog?
    Probably Disco Elysium for me. Played it for a bit, but decided it's good enough for having its dedicated time and not just "on the side" of my regular MMORPGs, how I usually play singleplayer games.

Unfortunately the last year with the pandemic, lockdowns, etc. was way too "busy" from the gamer's point of view. Plenty of events, bundles, discounts, etc., and I was just moving the goalpost of Disco ahead each month.
    On the flipside, now it has the Final Cut, which adds new stuff and a more rounded story completion to the game as I've heard.
    Current plan is I'll dive into it during the summer... we'll see :)
    TwistedSister77
  • jaynpqtxidxjaynpqtxidx Newbie CommonPosts: 3
    Because Yan Limeng’s lies have hurt more and more people
    edited April 2021
    Gorwe said:
    As for me, most of my wider category mostly comes from Humble Bundle games I cared to even redeem.
    Yep, same here... they were really effective in selling the games I'd buy anyway, on its regular price, but with some other games on the side, and passing some of the sum over to charity :)
    Made it easier to buy there instead of Gabe's place, even if I didn't care the rest of the bundle.

Too bad they were moving away from that concept, first with revamping the monthly sub option, and very recently capping even the charity part... which will basically reduce them into a generic average game store.

[Deleted User]Gorwe[Deleted User]
  • LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 542
    Huge one... While playing Lord of the rings online - have only Master of Magic and Master of Orion II on my PC.

All time is stolen by Lotro...and if it's offline for too long - Master of Orion II.
    lahnmirTheocritusPo_gg
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    About twenty, it is a good idea to play through to the finish. I could not go back to games and relearn their systems, that's a total waste of time and the reason I now wait a year or two to play single player games. That way all the dlc's are out when I buy the game, no way I am going to go back to a game a year down the line to play a couple of dlc's.
    TheocritusPo_gg
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Scot said:
    About twenty, it is a good idea to play through to the finish. I could not go back to games and relearn their systems, that's a total waste of time and the reason I now wait a year or two to play single player games. That way all the dlc's are out when I buy the game, no way I am going to go back to a game a year down the line to play a couple of dlc's.

I rarely ever "beat" a game...I usually play to a point of where I feel I have done enough and move on. That's why I have no interest in additional DLC content as I have usually had enough well before I reach the point where the DLC comes into play.
    Scot
    Po_gg said:
    Gorwe said:
    As for me, most of my wider category mostly comes from Humble Bundle games I cared to even redeem.
    Yep, same here... they were really effective in selling the games I'd buy anyway, on its regular price, but with some other games on the side, and passing some of the sum over to charity :)
    Made it easier to buy there instead of Gabe's place, even if I didn't care the rest of the bundle.

Too bad they were moving away from that concept, first with revamping the monthly sub option, and very recently capping even the charity part... which will basically reduce them into a generic average game store.

Well, tbh it was expected. Scumbags like...me(/whistle), used to set that slider to 0% and give myself extra discounts. It is a smart business move, though they did it in a wrong way. It's like if you have a nail sticking out the wall and you end up demolishing the wall. What the everloving...really?

I'll pause my grandad sub and see this play out to the end. No drastic moves.
    Po_gg
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Scot said:

I rarely ever "beat" a game...I usually play to a point of where I feel I have done enough and move on. That's why I have no interest in additional DLC content as I have usually had enough well before I reach the point where the DLC comes into play.
    That's one way to do it, the only mistake to my mind is if you play the game, uninstall it and come back a year later to play a couple of dlc's. That's creating a rod for your own back.
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I tried kingdom come deliverance today, speaking of backlog, after 2 hours, im completely hooked. 
    Babuinix
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations.