Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is There An MMO You Wish You Played Before It Was Shut Down? | MMORPG.com

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    I missed trying so many with my singlular playing style.

Notables include UO, Asherons Call 1, Anarchy Online, Earth & Beyond, Tabula Rasa, FFXI to name just a few.

MMORPGs I didn't play and never really wanted to include EQ1, SWG, FFXIV, Planetside 1/2.

I realize some can still be played today but it's just not the same experience as was true during their heyday.

[Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    snarils said:
    I've played them all at some point of another.

But if there was one I wish could get a facelift and be re-released it would be SWG.
    Welcome to the forums. :)
  • mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981
    Wish I had given DAoC a fair shake in its hay day. 

Otherwise, this thread is making wish I had tried Tabula Rasa out. Seems to be getting a lot of fond mentions and, a the time it was a thing, I just didn't get around to trying it.
    Kyleran

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• milyenmilyen Member UncommonPosts: 39
    Firefall the Game, it was really good in the original format. After they made changes to please the loudest on the forums the game went downhill. Poor management and badly handled distribution I think it never got released.
    They tried to please everyone and ended up pleasing nobody. Not the developers, the people who financed it or the players
  • surthreysurthrey Member UncommonPosts: 8
    -Enter The Matrix-. I wanted to see the Wachowskis' vision as an mmo but could not afford finances or time when it was out.
  • GreenSage39GreenSage39 Member UncommonPosts: 144
    edited April 2021
    Is AC the card game mixed with MMORPG? If so, I literally played that game about 3 weeks before it shut down. I recieved a 75% off email lol. XD

I flipped a gasket when it shutdown and I went on here and got hit hard with the bans lol.
    surthrey said:
    -Enter The Matrix-. I wanted to see the Wachowskis' vision as an mmo but could not afford finances or time when it was out.

Now with all those odd issues going on with them I really have no want or desire to see Matrix 4. If all that stuff comes to pass and they rewrite the lore to say the pills were meant for a personal choice of who you want your PHYSICAL body to be...no thank you sir. I will lose all respect for Matrix.
  • foppoteefoppotee Member UncommonPosts: 508
    Star Wars Galaxies & Wildstar
    edited April 2021
    foppotee said:
    Star Wars Galaxies & Wildstar

Wildstar was a mess! Lol. Everything about the game was awesome. Except for the constant color flagging all over the place. Half the time I went into PVP laugh-crying because I was just button smashing and hoping I'd get a couple kills in. XD

They literally could have just done color borders or like 5% transparency or something else and it would have never failed. But they went the way of millenial devs and pouted and closed shop.

One lasting thing they brought to the Gamedom (or whatever it's called lol) is the fact of the 2-strikes System. They would "strike" a person who reported another BUT if the report checked out they would apply 2 STRIKES to the person that was reported. I don't know how heavy a single "strike" is but it was on your permanent CS profile.

They would often say the reporters were just as much of a problem as the people they were reporting because they were trying to alienate the gamerbase.

EDIT: All I really know is that it tied into their COR (Chance of Recurrence) on both the reporter and reportee and that they used it to validate their reasoning.
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120

Utinni said:

deniter said:

All of them were shut down for a reason.. so no, there's none.

You must be fun at parties

You can be fun @ parties and still say that every shut down MMo deserved it. I mean, there will always be that 10 guys out of 100 who goes by "..but is amazing!!" , be it a movie, game, etc.

I guess you are one of them?

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

IceAge said:

Utinni said:

deniter said:

You can be fun @ parties and still say that every shut down MMo deserved it. I mean, there will always be that 10 guys out of 100 who goes by "..but is amazing!!" , be it a movie, game, etc.

9 out of 10 people don't like surprise sex.
    Kyleran
  • crysdragoncrysdragon Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Dungeonrunners, City of Heroes/Villains, Tabula Rasa, Holic Online, Talisman Online (This one went mobile, hate the mobile version honestly.), FlyFF, to name a few, I tested all of them in the alpha and beta phases of the development as a regular gamer and nothing hurts more than seeing the games you loved and enjoyed testing while they were being made, fail and die out. I'm sure there are others I'd forgotten to add to the list, but those are just the few that stick to the old noggen.
    edited April 2021
    I saw this poster at work (I work at county for IT) and it said "Mobile Games Rot Your Brain" lol. And it showed millenials as zombies walking on the street playing mobile games on their phone. XD

There's a reason when I was in the Army we called our mobile phones our "leashes" and we tried to avoid them at all costs lol.

I'll give you a little hint. The millenials and zoomers are in their own personal cages. They need that instant/constant action. In the years to come that tactile wants and needs will turn into feelings and emotions wants and needs. That's when they will defeat themselves. Lol. They will never ever get enough of the wants and desires to "satiate" their brains because frankly they're just not smart.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Dark Sun Online....

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    lol after reading thru this thread , i realize ive played them all
    [Deleted User]TacticalZombeh
    IceAge said:

Utinni said:

deniter said:

But, if 9 out of 10 don't like surprise sex, statistically speaking, you are..one of them right? ..why?

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    There are plenty of games I wish I had played at launch. UO and FFXI are top of that list.

The shutdown of a game doesn't really affect my desire to play it or not.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    IceAge said:
    IceAge said:

Utinni said:

deniter said:

But, if 9 out of 10 don't like surprise sex, statistically speaking, you are..one of them right? ..why?

first we need to establish just what   "Surprise Sex " is .. ?

This nite is getting good
    dragonlee66[Deleted User]
    Scorchien said:
    IceAge said:
    IceAge said:

Utinni said:

deniter said:

Come out, come out ...wherever you are? 
    Scorchien

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680

Blackboa said:

Star Wars Galaxy

Me too.
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680

Mars_OMG said:

Asheron Call 1 / 2

Thatr one game with the dragon's (not dragon prophet)

Istaria where you could play as a dragon was fun.
    TacticalZombeh
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    IceAge said:
    Scorchien said:
    IceAge said:
    IceAge said:

Utinni said:

deniter said:

Come out, come out ...wherever you are? 
    If we're talking "Crying Game" type surprise you can count me out.

:# 
    SovrathIceAge[Deleted User][Deleted User]Iselin

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    I've played all the games I wanted to though I do wish I could have gotten over Everquest's art design. It was just too ugly for me though I think I would have liked the game play.
    Po_gg
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    Tabula Rasa was the one that I planned on playing, but it got shut down before I tried it.
    Kyleran