Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Infinite Fleet Creator Explains Why Spaceships Will Be NFT's | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited April 2021 in News & Features Discussion

imageInfinite Fleet Creator Explains Why Spaceships Will Be NFT's | MMORPG.com

Infinite Fleet's Creator and CEO of Pixelmatic Samson Mow recently spoke about how their development team plans to utilize NFT's in the upcoming spacefaring MMO. Infinite Fleet plans to utilize a crypto asset, INF, which can be used by players to make trades both in and out of the game.

Read the full story here

Comments

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,310
    My mom had a pet rock. My grandchildren can have non-fungible space ships.
    Kinda the same, I think. /shrug
    [Deleted User]

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• BrotherMaynardBrotherMaynard Member RarePosts: 567
    Nah, the real reason is to put one more layer between your average greedy game publisher and the ever tighter gambling legislation.

Your average legislator and judge have problems understanding and adapting the well-aged legal framework to the fairly simple transactions in the current digital worlds.

Imagine what your ordinary (mobile) game publisher could do by enveloping it all in a way more obscure and esoteric system. The ways to squeeze your players dry will be infinite!

GdemamiTheocritussakershadowaffles
  • Haki88Haki88 Member UncommonPosts: 230
    I went to page and have no idea what is it about and what can you do in this "game".
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    Ready Player One basically. What you have in-game can be traded for real $ :)
    BabuinixGdemami

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    IceAge said:

Isn't that what Epic is going for with their "MetaVerse"?

• WrekktWrekkt Member UncommonPosts: 29

IceAge said:

"Up to 80% of the screenspace can be covered in ads before risk of potential seizures!"
    IceAge
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    You know how cryptocurrency mining has made an awful mess of the video card market?  They apparently looked at that and said, hey, we should make our game economy work about that well.

When stated that way, it probably sounds like I'm joking.  I'm actually not.  You know how most MMORPGs have a "faucet and sink" economy in which game currency is both created and destroyed by various means?  That allows the money supply to scale with the playerbase.

Infinite Fleet isn't going to do that.  Rather, there will be a fixed amount of their INF currency distributed to players via some special events.  Once it's done, it's done, and no further INF will be created, ever.  Which is to say, it won't scale with the size of the playerbase.

As best as I can tell, the goal of doing this is to make players feel like they need to buy in early.  Get some INF early on when not very many people are following the game, and then it will become a lot more valuable later when the game is popular.  Then you can sell it and make a bunch of real-life money.  So basically, they're trying to create their own cryptocurrency bubble.

A major problem with this is that, in order for the game to become popular later on, it has to be an interesting game that a lot of people want to play.  For all of the game's currency to already have been distributed so that a new player has to buy it from older players at exorbitant prices is certainly detrimental there.  

But the bigger problem is that in order for the game to become popular, the game part of the game needs to actually be good.  And there, they seem to have no idea what they're doing.  There will be fleets and mining and combat and progression and an economy.  And how will that all work?  Uhh... have some buzzwords.  Lots and lots of buzzwords.  No, really.  Try this quote:

"Our goal for in-game combat is to create memorable objectives that demand a strategic and tactical approach while delivering a unique experience that features stunning visuals and a compelling narrative context."

I'm not sure who the target audience for that line is, but I'm pretty sure that it's not gamers.  Because that doesn't tell you if it's a 4X game, a MOBA, or a first-person shooter.
    maskedweaselsakerWhiteLanterncheyaneGdemami
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Quizzical said:

But the bigger problem is that in order for the game to become popular, the game part of the game needs to actually be good.  And there, they seem to have no idea what they're doing.  There will be fleets and mining and combat and progression and an economy.  And how will that all work?  Uhh... have some buzzwords.  Lots and lots of buzzwords.  No, really.  Try this quote:

"Our goal for in-game combat is to create memorable objectives that demand a strategic and tactical approach while delivering a unique experience that features stunning visuals and a compelling narrative context."

I'm not sure who the target audience for that line is, but I'm pretty sure that it's not gamers.  Because that doesn't tell you if it's a 4X game, a MOBA, or a first-person shooter.
    You're not wrong. 

That's probably my main issue with games that utilize blockchain and cryptocurrency. They're so caught up in their ability to make the game with this technology that they forget that there still has to be a game there. 

Sure, this is a spaceship strategy mmo, so what... maybe this is like EVE and no real action is taking place. Based on the alpha footage I've seen, I don't think we should be expecting a star wars squadrons type of game here...

And that may be the real reason we're hearing so much about cryptocurrency and the economy. Maybe that is pretty much the entirety of the game. 

But the thing is, most people don't know anything about crypto currencies and a lot of them probably can't tell you what blockchain is. I think if you want some kind of widespread gaming adoption, you have to focus on the game itself, how it will be fun, the features it will have. 

It's kind of strange, right now it feels like the game is kind of being geared towards crypto traders instead of gamers. Maybe it will change when the game gets closer to beta?
    Gdemami

It's kind of strange, right now it feels like the game is kind of being geared towards crypto traders instead of gamers. Maybe it will change when the game gets closer to beta?
    You know how some games are targeted toward whales, because it's easier to get a lot of money from people who have a lot of money that they're looking to spend?  Perhaps this game is kind of like that, except targeted at cryptocurrency nuts.  Because it's easier to get a lot of money from people who have a lot of money to "invest" and not a clue about sane investment strategies.  After all, people who "invested" in the most ridiculous bubble of all time and then got lucky are by definition people who have not a clue about sane investment strategies.
    sakerGdemami
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    If crypto and NFTs is where the genre is headed, then I am going to find a new hobby.....
    sakerGdemami
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164
                                             Hey folks, I'm doing this too, sorta
                                                                    /
                                                                   /

IceAgealloincheyane
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

If crypto and NFTs is where the genre is headed, then I am going to find a new hobby.....
    Think of it as a particular subgenre, not where all of MMORPGs are headed.  Their competitors are Entropia and Blanko's Block Party.  They're not really competing against WoW and FFXIV, or even EVE and Anarchy Online.
    SovrathGdemami
  • alloinalloin Member UncommonPosts: 135
    I guess they wanna break SC's records about P2W ships and the amount they will go for...
    NFT works like this:
    1. start with 100k
    2. create an NFT
    3. sell to yourself for 100k on the blockchain
    4. you now have 99.9k$ (deducting fee's, if it's on ETH you will pay 1k$ fee) AND an NFT worth 100k, resell the NFT for 50% off, FOMO is strong here
    5. you now have 149.9k
    Gdemami
    We are all satoshi!
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Quizzical said:

You know how some games are targeted toward whales, because it's easier to get a lot of money from people who have a lot of money that they're looking to spend?  Perhaps this game is kind of like that, except targeted at cryptocurrency nuts.  Because it's easier to get a lot of money from people who have a lot of money to "invest" and not a clue about sane investment strategies.  After all, people who "invested" in the most ridiculous bubble of all time and then got lucky are by definition people who have not a clue about sane investment strategies.
    I do believe that this will one day become mainstream. Blockchain and cryptocurrency in games. 

For that to happen though, the technology behind it has to become secondary to the game itself. I think developers see the value in it, and that's why so many are starting to delve into these features. Most people, gamers included, have trouble understanding how these systems work, or why they matter and the only way they can really learn is by trying it out in the most simplistic of cases.

But that's the problem with games like Blankos Block Party. They spend too much time trying to sell every single "vinyl" figure as a "collectible investment" whereas in most MMO's ... visual items sell just by being really cool visual items. The "value" of these figures is only what people will buy them for, and their limited nature *should* increase the value, but there's no market for them. 

And that's why it all circles back to the game itself. If nobody really cares about your items, the premise of them as an "investment" is kind of useless. 

The underlying transactional system has a future, but I'm not sure that developers have hit the mark on how to use it.  I think IF probably understands how to make the currency system work better than most, but it still sounds like the strategy part of this space strategy mmo revolves around the economy and currency and less about the game mechanics.... like playing and having fun. 
    QuizzicalBabuinix