Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OPINION: Amazon's Lord of the Rings MMO Canceling Isn't Surprising, But It Does Make Me Wonder What

2»

Comments

• ashiru_1978ashiru_1978 Member RarePosts: 818
    With how things are going on all fronts on the planet, the power will shift to China and they will be paying us minimum wage to assemble iPhones for them.
    GreenSage39
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    edited April 2021
    Quizzical said:
    Scot said:

Also it is useful to try to remember that the Russians feel betrayed by what happened to the USSR, they feel mother Russia deserves some revenge and you only have to look at Georgia and the Ukraine to see that in action. Meanwhile China sees itself as taken for granted, the superpower that is expected to do nothing on the world stage. With that in mind you can see why I think this situation will just get worse.
    I think it's important to recognize that Russia isn't just invading random places.  In both Georgia and Ukraine, they invaded the portions of the country that are mostly ethnically Russian, but went no further than that.  Russia basically claims that they are the rightful government of all Russians, even those who live outside of their country.  And there several other countries in eastern Europe that have portions that are heavily Russian.  Those countries are scared of Russia, and rightfully so.  But Russia is not going out and trying to annex random countries all over the world, or even to install puppet governments the way the Soviet Union did.
    I am not saying Russia would behave like the Soviet Union but I would not bet against it. But yes there is reasoning behind what they are doing, it is not illogical just more unpredictable. The recent closing of the Kerch Straight to "warships", the cyber attack on the US last year and and revelations about what happened happened in Czechia shows how this is a never ending, Putin has not retired from such activity.

Where I really differ from you is I get the the idea you think he will keep to his "own backyard"? The actions of his agents around the world and the cyber attacks show that is not the case.
    Gdemami
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    edited April 2021
    Quizzical said:
    Scot said:

Quizzical said:

Aurelt said:

I mean how dumb you have to be to trust china's communist tencent? that's what you get when you lie to yourself that communist will not do something wrong. I just don't understand why western companies want kiss china's as ss so much? just leave them alone and don't ever communicate with them. I don't understand. If I was ceo of gaming company I would never never allow my games to go to china. never. unless China becomes democratic country. I hate communism.

For some decades, you could have made the argument that companies ought to be wary of doing business with a government that has absolutely no qualms about large-scale theft.  But the China of 10 or 20 years ago wasn't nearly as evil as today's regime.  The Uighur genocide, the end of democracy in Hong Kong, and the COVID-19 pandemic are all recent things perpetrated by Xi Jinping.  One can dispute to what degree the pandemic is his fault, but the other two are indisputably his choice.

China's government is not meaningfully Communist in the economic sense, and has not been since Mao died in the 1970s.  The other elites in the country saw very well that Communism doesn't work, and left an estimated 50 million dead in the largest slaughter in human history.  That's why they moved away from it as an economic system, and that is what allowed China's economy to grow tremendously since then.

The thing is communism for both China and Russia was that it made them easier to predict, they worked by a set of principles. Now they do not and I see no principles governing them now apart from self interest and geopolitics. The West has ideals and a capitalist framework, though it does not always follow those ideals or behave that capitalist at times. Recently Russia and China have both got worse and you have to ask is this as far as they will go? To me they will keep pushing the boundaries of what is internationally acceptable until someone pushes back.

Also it is useful to try to remember that the Russians feel betrayed by what happened to the USSR, they feel mother Russia deserves some revenge and you only have to look at Georgia and the Ukraine to see that in action. Meanwhile China sees itself as taken for granted, the superpower that is expected to do nothing on the world stage. With that in mind you can see why I think this situation will just get worse.
    Russia really hasn't gotten worse recently, unless you're willing to count their 2008 invasion of Georgia as "recent".  Vladimir Putin has been in charge of Russia for more than 20 years now, and at this point, he is what he is and probably isn't going to change much.  He's a run-of-the-mill evil dictator, and hardly a good guy, but not an unusually bad ruler, either.  The mischief he causes is generally small scale enough to not be worth fighting a war over, and Putin's Russia is nothing like the evil empire that was the Soviet Union.  If Putin were dictator of Malawi or Oman or Cambodia, you'd have no idea who he was unless you follow foreign news far more closely than most.  Russia probably isn't going to change that much until Putin dies, retires, is overthrown, or whatever, and his successor could easily be much better or much worse.

China, on the other hand, has gotten much worse in recent years, and it's because of Xi Jinping.  Deng Xiaoping, Jiang Zemin, and Hu Jintao were all capable leaders who did a lot of good for their country, even if they also did quite a bit of evil in the world.  (Literally lifting hundreds of millions of people out of extreme poverty is a lot of good, no matter who does it.)  Xi Jinping is not just a run-of-the-mill evil dictator.  Unlike his recent predecessors, and also unlike Putin, Xi Jinping is far more evil than most dictators.  He doesn't just harass a relative handful of people who annoy him.  He has institutionalized it to harass nearly everyone that he can.
    This is an interesting take and asks the question, how much are a nations rouge activates to do with their leaders as opposed to the country? I agree with you that a lot of what we see in China is down to the leader and what they have done overall is worse. Yes I think 2008 is recent, when it comes to geopolitics you have to think in those terms.

But it is the nature of those countries, their political history, what has happened as they moved from mostly or partially from communism to a totally new form of society that means the countries are the issue. Those systems and the friction between old and new ways have allowed their leaders to get away with what would not be acceptable elsewhere. After these leaders go who knows, again back to the unpredictability?

Having said all that I realise how badly I have broken my own rule not just the sites. No politics on the forums! So I leave you guys to have any final words.
    Gdemami
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041

Scot said:

Quizzical said:

Aurelt said:

I mean how dumb you have to be to trust china's communist tencent? that's what you get when you lie to yourself that communist will not do something wrong. I just don't understand why western companies want kiss china's as ss so much? just leave them alone and don't ever communicate with them. I don't understand. If I was ceo of gaming company I would never never allow my games to go to china. never. unless China becomes democratic country. I hate communism.

For some decades, you could have made the argument that companies ought to be wary of doing business with a government that has absolutely no qualms about large-scale theft.  But the China of 10 or 20 years ago wasn't nearly as evil as today's regime.  The Uighur genocide, the end of democracy in Hong Kong, and the COVID-19 pandemic are all recent things perpetrated by Xi Jinping.  One can dispute to what degree the pandemic is his fault, but the other two are indisputably his choice.

China's government is not meaningfully Communist in the economic sense, and has not been since Mao died in the 1970s.  The other elites in the country saw very well that Communism doesn't work, and left an estimated 50 million dead in the largest slaughter in human history.  That's why they moved away from it as an economic system, and that is what allowed China's economy to grow tremendously since then.

The thing is communism for both China and Russia was that it made them easier to predict, they worked by a set of principles. Now they do not and I see no principles governing them now apart from self interest and geopolitics. The West has ideals and a capitalist framework, though it does not always follow those ideals or behave that capitalist at times. Recently Russia and China have both got worse and you have to ask is this as far as they will go? To me they will keep pushing the boundaries of what is internationally acceptable until someone pushes back.

You know why though? The feels/power of money/currency itself. It's what has damned both Russia and China. Is the USA damned from it? No. The USA uses its currency as a control/debt scheme. The feels and power from the USA isn't from the money/currency itself its what power is derived after creating the debt with said currency.

It's like how we got landlords and property managers who are inherently evil people in the USA who every year raise rent. The government started to watch and take note and created a Bad Landlord Listing of all landlords who raised rent during covid.

See, because we don't have the same lust/power for money like Russia/China does, we can have morally grey areas and even good areas. (I mean evil individuals have a lust and greed and envy but our policies aren't setup that way. Evil will always exist and should always be killed when it pops up.)

But China and Russia, just need more and more. That's a raging beast with one eye, probably a missing leg, chained up against a wall waiting to die or at the very least go out with one last fight.
    The other monster is always scarier then your own monster.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• RungarRungar Member RarePosts: 1,132
    edited April 2021
    I dont even see countries anymore. Thats like a level 2 and endgame is level 666.

well unless you have alternate advancement. 
    GreenSage39
    .05 of a second to midnight
  • xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    It's depressing is what it is, just when there is a glimmer of hope that mmorpg players are going to be treated right, some suit pipes up and mentions that for a fraction of the cost we can make a cheesy phone game and the money just flows in.
    My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L