Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Amazon Cancels Its Lord of the Rings-Based MMORPG | MMORPG.com

13»

Comments

• MrSoulPantsMrSoulPants Member UncommonPosts: 32
    I was a lifer with LOTRO and the game is crazy boring for a long time now. They also included terrible mechanics like Big Battles and war steeds which were used to sell an expansion/DLC and then forgotten.

I was really hoping to see Amazon revitalize a Middle Earth world with new polish. Ah well :(
    Sell me your life account? ???, 

It is a shame, another Lotr world would of been great. But by the time it released we all going to be old. 
    Kyleran
  • BrotherMaynardBrotherMaynard Member RarePosts: 567
    Hang on... But this is only Amazon's view, isn't it? The article is only about Amazon. Why this discussion about the game being dead when the article clearly says "Amazon Cancels..."

The other side (Leyou / Tencent) - which apparently holds the game rights - is only mentioned to tell us they disagreed with Amazon and parted ways.

This Bloomberg article only tells us that Amazon has stopped working on it.
    • "An Amazon spokesperson confirmed that after Tencent’s acquisition of Leyou, “we have been unable to secure terms to proceed with this title at this time.”
    • The Amazon team working on the game will be moved to other projects."

It doesn't say anything about Tencent stopping to work on the game. If Tencent has the rights to the game, why wouldn't they continue working on it? It certainly does not say so in the article.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    edited April 2021
    It's no surprise really. Lord of the Rings popularity has dwindled now all the movies have long since released.

They probably looked at the marketing data and trends (Amazon sits on a throve of marketing data) and seen the continuous drop in popularity and sales of LOTR books and merchandize.

The game should have released years ago in the middle of the Hobbit theatrical releases.

Don't get me wrong, I am a hardcore Tolkien fan and would have loved to see a new LOTR MMO, but I can understand the risks are too great to invest a lot of money in an MMO that might end up not selling well, now they don't have the huge marketing backing of movies running in theaters world wide.
    Gdemami
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    JeroKane said:
    It's no surprise really. Lord of the Rings popularity has dwindled now all the movies have long since released.

They probably looked at the marketing data and trends (Amazon sits on a throve of marketing data) and seen the continuous drop in popularity and sales of LOTR books and merchandize.

The game should have released years ago in the middle of the Hobbit theatrical releases.

Don't get me wrong, I am a hardcore Tolkien fan and would have loved to see a new LOTR MMO, but I can understand the risks are too great to invest a lot of money in an MMO that might end up not selling well, now they don't have the huge marketing backing of movies running in theaters world wide.
    You do know that the Amazon Prime TV series is beginning later this year and is committed for at least 5 years, don't you?
    TwistedSister77
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ashiru_1978ashiru_1978 Member RarePosts: 818
    Of course i didn't played every MMO's in the world. Maybe you can point me to one with better built World, Character models, Combat Animations?
    If you've settled on BDO, there is no hope for saving your soul.
    RungarGdemamiSensai
  • migthefigmigthefig Member UncommonPosts: 37
    Ah ben la Tarbarnak!!!!
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Iselin said:
    JeroKane said:

You do know that the Amazon Prime TV series is beginning later this year and is committed for at least 5 years, don't you?
    And? They canceled this MMO for a reason and it always comes down to money. They clearly didn't believe in it's success and giving them enough return on investment.
    Gdemami
  • CuddleheartCuddleheart Member UncommonPosts: 391
    Kinda relieved. I had a feeling that this wasn't going to be something that I wanted to play. Eastern games trend towards action combat and a graphical aesthetic that I'm not really into.

For all it's foibles(and there are soooo many), I will always have a soft spot in my heart for LoTRO due to the amount of good times I had the first few years. LoTRO seems to have held onto it's head of steam that it got a year ago during their pandemic promotion. I'm genuinely happy to see them able to maintain a steady player base when many others have lost their numbers from a year ago.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Kinda relieved. I had a feeling that this wasn't going to be something that I wanted to play. Eastern games trend towards action combat and a graphical aesthetic that I'm not really into.

For all it's foibles(and there are soooo many), I will always have a soft spot in my heart for LoTRO due to the amount of good times I had the first few years. LoTRO seems to have held onto it's head of steam that it got a year ago during their pandemic promotion. I'm genuinely happy to see them able to maintain a steady player base when many others have lost their numbers from a year ago.
    Artistically I think they would have done a better job than what I've seen from western devs. 

I mean, look at the type of details games like Dragon's Dogma or even the dark souls games, have.

Given the IP I bet they would have erred on the side of more authentic than not. They surely would have done a far better job than Turbine/SSG has.
    [Deleted User]
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    I need to point out again that I'm relieved Bezos will not be taking a dump on one of the best fantasy universes in the history of mankind.
    Gdemami

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

Sovrath said:

Artistically I think they would have done a better job than what I've seen from western devs. 

I mean, look at the type of details games like Dragon's Dogma or even the dark souls games, have.

Given the IP I bet they would have erred on the side of more authentic than not. They surely would have done a far better job than Turbine/SSG has.
    Agree to disagree on that.  I'm not saying they are bad, but I don't enjoy the aesthetic(complete preference thing).  It sucks, because I also love cell shaded graphics and it's rare to get a game that doesn't look like traditional anime. 

If you sold an MMO that had Wildstar or WoW style models with cell shading, I would be first in line.

Even with an ancient engine, that field of flowers by the Wolf Master Ruins is one of the most visually pleasing things I have ever seen in gaming and it only got better with each PC upgrade through the years.
    Gdemami
    Sovrath said:

Agree to disagree on that.  I'm not saying they are bad, but I don't enjoy the aesthetic(complete preference thing).  It sucks, because I also love cell shaded graphics and it's rare to get a game that doesn't look like traditional anime. 

If you sold an MMO that had Wildstar or WoW style models with cell shading, I would be first in line.

Even with an ancient engine, that field of flowers by the Wolf Master Ruins is one of the most visually pleasing things I have ever seen in gaming and it only got better with each PC upgrade through the years.
    So you are saying you'd want a more cartoony look?

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Sovrath said:
    Sovrath said:

By the Valar no, not more cartoony, is that disease not found enough elsewhere in the gaming industry?
    Gdemami[Deleted User]BrotherMaynard
    edited April 2021
    Sovrath said:
    Sovrath said:

Nah, but I'd prefer stylized graphics over realism, so I would love to see that.  You don't have to agree.  It's my preference.

Eastern MMOs tend to look very plasticky.  BDO and AA are like playing Dead or Alive - The MMO.  People clearly like it because lots of people play them - awesome!  More choice, the better!  It's not for me.  Oh well, Maybe next time...

The more I think of it, 1970's cartoon LoTRO would be far preferable to little kawaii hobbits running around.
    [Deleted User]
    Nyctelios said:

But yeah, I'd rather have Gigantic all over my face than have Shadows of War of Mordor the edgy playstation boy experience with hot spider woman cause reasons.
    That's a bit all over the place.

The inclusion of "hot spider woman" has nothing to do with realism or realistic art design (and more to do with seriously bending the source material.)

Because everything you said could be attributed to a stylistic game as well.

• user7791user7791 Member UncommonPosts: 14
    edited April 2021

achesoma said:

Is there a reason Amazon had to partner with Leyou? Can't they just make the game themselves?

Most likely, they were the lowest bidder. Chinese companies like to undercut other businesses because China has underpaid labor more than the U.S.
    Gdemami