Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Through the Wastes of Chaos: First Impressions of Vermintide 2's Latest Roguelite | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 7,110

imageThrough the Wastes of Chaos: First Impressions of Vermintide 2's Latest Roguelite | MMORPG.com

Co-op shooter Warhammer: Verminitide 2 has done a lot to establish itself as an innovative game on the market. However, the team is taking it one step further with Chaos Waste. Chris takes a look at the new Rougelite.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 15,325
    edited April 16
    Vermintide for me is one of the best co-ops out there. I preferred VT 1 for the atmosphere and finally realised that was only because there was less light! Made a real difference, quite spooky as rats jumped out at you. Overall though as a game VT2 probably wins by a Skaven's whisker. :)
    Gorwe
  • Mars_OMGMars_OMG Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    edited April 16
    The Federalist......
    BruceYee
    - abandoning social media could possibly save the world.  
    #RestoreTheSnyderVerse 
  • GorweGorwe Member Posts: 656
    Scot said:
    Vermintide for me is one of the best co-ops out there. I preferred VT 1 for the atmosphere and finally realised that was only because there was less light! Made a real difference, quite spooky as rats jumped out at you. Overall though as a game VT2 probably wins by a Skaven's whisker. :)

It's really difficult to judge on the gameplay side. Most of true Vermintide veterans like yours truly, Kyrial, Toutatrix etc will side with VT1 ; the most common complaint is overly floaty, arcadey combat and weird / unrewarding(even for Vermintide and that says a lot) loot system. Concerning lore, story and atmosphere, VT1 wins hands down. Concerning actual fun and gameplay...degustibus, but I'd have to objectively give this to VT2.

Of course, I could write so much about this, I'd simply have to remind myself.
    Scot
    Gorwe said:
    Scot said:

It's really difficult to judge on the gameplay side. Most of true Vermintide veterans like yours truly, Kyrial, Toutatrix etc will side with VT1 ; the most common complaint is overly floaty, arcadey combat and weird / unrewarding(even for Vermintide and that says a lot) loot system. Concerning lore, story and atmosphere, VT1 wins hands down. Concerning actual fun and gameplay...degustibus, but I'd have to objectively give this to VT2.

Now you mention it the story was better, trying to remember a game you last played years ago to newer versions is really hard. I think there was something of the newness about VT1 that makes it seem good in hindsight as well though, that always happens for the first game.
    Gorwe
    edited April 17

Scot said:

Gorwe said:

Scot said:

Now you mention it the story was better, trying to remember a game you last played years ago to newer versions is really hard. I think there was something of the newness about VT1 that makes it seem good in hindsight as well though, that always happens for the first game.

There's just so much wrong(at least for me) in VT2: arcadey gameplay, wrong loot system(somehow even worse than VT 1), completely mismanaged story(kill Rasknitt immediately will you? The main foil / villain. Now what?) etc. It is a nice idea, but without VT 1? It wouldn't be nearly as successful imo.

There's so much wrong with VT 2, but you need to look at details. Again imo, but I wouldn't say it is a case of the first crush.
    Gorwe said:

Scot said:

Gorwe said:

Scot said:

There's just so much wrong(at least for me) in VT2: arcadey gameplay, wrong loot system(somehow even worse than VT 1), completely mismanaged story(kill Rasknitt immediately will you? The main foil / villain. Now what?) etc. It is a nice idea, but without VT 1? It wouldn't be nearly as successful imo.

There's so much wrong with VT 2, but you need to look at details. Again imo, but I wouldn't say it is a case of the first crush.
    The only thing you are underestimating is how cool the shadowy look was. Indeed the bright VT2 look may be giving it some of that arcadey feel. I did not think the gameplay had changed that much, but what game franchise do we know where each iteration of the game is not a little streamlined and somewhat more like all the other co-op (or insert genre) out there?
    Gorwe
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 21,349
    Scot said:
    Gorwe said:

Scot said:

Gorwe said:

Scot said:

The only thing you are underestimating is how cool the shadowy look was. Indeed the bright VT2 look may be giving it some of that arcadey feel. I did not think the gameplay had changed that much, but what game franchise do we know where each iteration of the game is not a little streamlined and somewhat more like all the other co-op (or insert genre) out there?

But is it fun? :0
    Scot
    traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

edited April 18
    Scot said:
    Gorwe said:

Scot said:

Gorwe said:

Scot said:

I know what you mean. But VT 1 also had some quite bright maps like the Courier or the Rune of ... whatever level. Wheat and chaff and the first half of the Reikwald Forest were also quite bright. Not like Against the Grain or anything like it. And you are right, the entire game's less dark. Even Brachsenbrucke, which takes place during a storm or The Screaming Bell, which takes place on a rainy evening, feel more bright than VT 1.

But the arcadey stuff isn't only about that(beautiful catch though!). Take Dual Daggers. In 1 they had rhythm where you needed to be almost in tune with the game to use them properly. In 2, they magically received a DoT component and you now just spam them willy nilly. The entire combat feels less weighty and less intricate. Which is not bad, only different.