Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Amazon Cancels Its Lord of the Rings-Based MMORPG | MMORPG.com

Comments

• FoolOfATook39FoolOfATook39 Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Super disappointed. I was really stoked on a new lotr game. Seems they realized you can’t just throw money into a pit and get a good game from it.
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    edited April 2021
    Ouch.

Well maybe this is a good thing and it would have sucked so we avoided something.

It would be awesome to get a new Lord of The Rings MMORPG though. The IP really deserves more. So much more...

Gandalf GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

FrodoFraginsBruceYee

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    Looks like we'll be playing the same mmorpg's forever, which works for me, SWG:L and WoW, get in a good raid team the game shines bright.
    GdemamiBabuinix
    My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • NeoyoshiNeoyoshi Member RarePosts: 1,128

Alverant said:

Another failed MMO from Amazon. It's like making a good game is HARD or something.

To be fair, MiddleEarth Online is a very old project that's changed hands quite a number of times.

But it was never amazon's game, they were just the most recent people to try to make a go at it.

I'm sure we'll see the project resuface again with someone else at the helm try to attempt the impossible.
    Gdemami

Fishing on Gilgamesh since 2013
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Nilden said:
    Ouch.

Well maybe this is a good thing and it would have sucked so we avoided something.

It would be awesome to get a new Lord of The Rings MMORPG though. The IP really deserves more. So much more...

They had no chance of getting it right.  I have no idea why Amazon was so confident when entering the game development industry.  Hell, even LucasArts realized how hard it was and just licensed stuff out.

My hope for the game was that it was tied to the overall deal Amazon made with the Estate to work in the time period before the third age. 

Gdemami
  • kertinkertin Member UncommonPosts: 259
    Tencent is actually supporting some pretty good games so if they saw what a mess was probably LOTRO from Amazon going to be, they just stopped it, it's probably good as it would be so hard to fulfill those ambitions with new LOTR IP MMORPG
    BruceYeeGdemami
  • theGnadetheGnade Member UncommonPosts: 147
    Sometimes it is smarter to fold early than keep betting with bad cards.
    BruceYeeGdemami
  • StarWarrior957StarWarrior957 Member UncommonPosts: 13
    edited April 2021
    Pearl Abyss is the only gaming company i could have trusted with LOTR IP. With their own enginge they would have made LOTR game you would not forget.
    ashiru_1978kertinGdemamiKyleranSensaiNilden[Deleted User]
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    Amazon should have bought Leyou Technologies Holdings, they were in partnership for the game with them when Leyou started looking for a buyer. Amazon have cash to throw away so why not?
    Gdemami
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    Pearl Abyss is the only gaming company i could have trusted with LOTR IP. With their own enginge they would have made LOTR game you would not forget.
    Welcome to the forums!

Somehow you managed to sneak past me when you first posted. :)
  • ashiru_1978ashiru_1978 Member RarePosts: 818
    You mean as ugly as Black Desert Online? Their own engine, which is is so bad that the objects in the distance look like poorly pixelate 2D placeholders? Or when they did the visual revamp of BDO and it still looks just as bad and the same distant impostors look just as horrible?

Their engine is so bad that the lighting and colors are horrible. Objects are either overexposed or underexposed - dark areas are pitch black and it's hard to see, areas lit by sunlight look so bright that they are borderline white and blinding to the eye. The skin of characters both PCs and NPCs looks like this unnatural orangy-dark tan due to the piss poor lighting of their engine.

Let's not even forget how shallow and boring the combat of the game is and how much it lacks content and it 90% grinding and P2W and 10% any semblance of actual hand-crafted content by the developers.

The world is one of the most generic, forgettable and just bad looking worlds I've seen. The UI of the game is confusing and a hinderance rather than help ease the player into the game.

BDO and its creator Pearl Abyss are the worst example of a game and its developer that should take it upon themselves to work on a franchise like Tolkien's Middle Earth.

If anything, I'd rather have the team that developed Vanilla World of Warcraft with Raph Koster as a director/advisor on the systems and mechanics of the game. It can have the best of LOTRO, Vanilla WoW and SWG all into one game.

Any other team will just fail miserably at making anything worthwhile. At best it will be some dumbed-down clone mishmash of ESO, Retail WoW and FF14 or whatever. And that doesn't bode well as ESO, Retail WoW and FF14 are already very mediocre and beyond boring.
    GdemamiKyleranTacticalZombeh
  • mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988
    What did we expect from profit only corporation!? This is not a game developer, it's just a money making machine and nothing else.
    GdemamiKidRiskKyleran
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited April 2021

Alverant said:

Another failed MMO from Amazon. It's like making a good game is HARD or something.

Another?

Amazon has not released an MMO yet, they are working on New World and that about it.

A business dispute leading to a cancelation of a project on an early phase is hardly something to put on the back of their studio like it was their development leading to such outcome.

Of companies around as far MMOs are concerned, a million times prefer Amazon Studios prospects than yet another indie kickstarter with a small team and budget on a constant struggle.
  • AureltAurelt Member UncommonPosts: 64
    I mean how dumb you have to be to trust china's communist tencent? that's what you get when you lie to yourself that communist will not do something wrong. I just don't understand why western companies want kiss china's as ss so much? just leave them alone and don't ever communicate with them. I don't understand. If I was ceo of gaming company I would never never allow my games to go to china. never. unless China becomes democratic country. I hate communism.
    KyleranIselinGdemami
  • RungarRungar Member RarePosts: 1,132
    Aurelt said:
    I mean how dumb you have to be to trust china's communist tencent? that's what you get when you lie to yourself that communist will not do something wrong. I just don't understand why western companies want kiss china's as ss so much? just leave them alone and don't ever communicate with them. I don't understand. If I was ceo of gaming company I would never never allow my games to go to china. never. unless China becomes democratic country. I hate communism.
    Since all big corporations are communist I guess you have to hate everything. What is western crazed liberalism but communism in disguise?

China is here whether you like it or not. 
    GdemamiSensai
    .05 of a second to midnight
  • StarWarrior957StarWarrior957 Member UncommonPosts: 13
    You mean as ugly as Black Desert Online? Their own engine, which is is so bad that the objects in the distance look like poorly pixelate 2D placeholders? Or when they did the visual revamp of BDO and it still looks just as bad and the same distant impostors look just as horrible?

Their engine is so bad that the lighting and colors are horrible. Objects are either overexposed or underexposed - dark areas are pitch black and it's hard to see, areas lit by sunlight look so bright that they are borderline white and blinding to the eye. The skin of characters both PCs and NPCs looks like this unnatural orangy-dark tan due to the piss poor lighting of their engine.

Let's not even forget how shallow and boring the combat of the game is and how much it lacks content and it 90% grinding and P2W and 10% any semblance of actual hand-crafted content by the developers.

The world is one of the most generic, forgettable and just bad looking worlds I've seen. The UI of the game is confusing and a hinderance rather than help ease the player into the game.

BDO and its creator Pearl Abyss are the worst example of a game and its developer that should take it upon themselves to work on a franchise like Tolkien's Middle Earth.

If anything, I'd rather have the team that developed Vanilla World of Warcraft with Raph Koster as a director/advisor on the systems and mechanics of the game. It can have the best of LOTRO, Vanilla WoW and SWG all into one game.

Any other team will just fail miserably at making anything worthwhile. At best it will be some dumbed-down clone mishmash of ESO, Retail WoW and FF14 or whatever. And that doesn't bode well as ESO, Retail WoW and FF14 are already very mediocre and beyond boring.
    The only problem with their engine that it renders poorly when you try to record it. But if you actually played their game, the picture is very different.

Everything else you wrote is a blant lie. 

BDO has the best most realistic character model out of all current MMO games on the market. The amount of realistic animations they added to the character, from standing to moving, to running - i have never seen MMO does anything like it.
    The Combat animations - are out of this world, generation ahead of anything Western market is offering right now. 
    Not only that, they actually managed to tie Combat to your computer Performance. More FPS = Faster Animations = More damage. Which backfired at the end as players tune down graphics to potato, but another revolutionary technology. No more Global cooldowns, breaking the MMO combat limitations imposed everywhere else.

As for content, it's on demand really. Their strategy is to keep people grinding while making money of them. It payed of.

As for the world - i have never seen such realistic potray of Cities in any MMO. City actually filled with NPC going about their day. 

If you actually watched their Updated Engine trailers for Crimson Desert, it solves a lot of distant rendering limitations of the older BDO engine.

Of course i didn't played every MMO's in the world. Maybe you can point me to one with better built World, Character models, Combat Animations?
    Gdemamiashiru_1978
  • MarknMarkn Member UncommonPosts: 307
    Daybreak still plans to upgrade LOTRO Graphics just no idea when.
    Gdemami[Deleted User]
  • SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    Excellent! We will not be disappointed with a poor money sucking ripoff that it was supposed to be. Amazon is only good at making people slaves and closing down small businesses using monopolistic tactics. not at making games. I cannot wait for the day when amazon is closed down.
    KyleranGdemami

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Aurelt said:
    You thought that was such a clever take that you had to post it without changing a word in two threads? LMAO.
    KyleranTuor7TacticalZombeh
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Nilden said:
    Ouch.

They had no chance of getting it right.  I have no idea why Amazon was so confident when entering the game development industry.  Hell, even LucasArts realized how hard it was and just licensed stuff out.

My hope for the game was that it was tied to the overall deal Amazon made with the Estate to work in the time period before the third age. 

Lucasfilm Games made some really cool stuff back in the day, some of my favorite games from the period. My personal favorites were "Their Finest Hour" and "Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe"

Too bad George let it slide.
    Tuor7

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835
    What about the old LOTRO graphical upgrade? Is it a totally different project and still coming?
    Not only a different project, but a different company and game.  Amazon has nothing to do with LotRO which is run by Standing Stone Games.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    If you realize that a project is going to fail, then it's better to pull the plug early rather than spending another $100 million on it before killing the project.
    KidRiskGdemami
  • NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835
    MaxBacon said:
    Another?

Amazon has not released an MMO yet, they are working on New World and that about it.

While technically correct they've released and pulled 2 other games so far and cancelled others.  Their track record so far sucks.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2021-01-29/amazon-game-studios-struggles-to-find-a-hit
    Gdemami

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Thats too bad...Bezos could have bought Ninja and some of the other streamers to say they like the game and made it billions.......
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

Well Tencent 100% owns Funcom, laugh at me if you will... but I'd rather Funcom Norwegian studio develop it than Amazon Studios.

MMORPG experience + Survival game experience...  and they mostly honored the lore of REH in Age of Conan... and the lore for The Secret World.

Funcom gas always been million dollar ideas and 5 dollar developers.
    Rungar

Joined - July 2004