Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MSI Stealth 15M A11UEK Gaming Laptop Review | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited April 2021 in News & Features Discussion

imageMSI Stealth 15M A11UEK Gaming Laptop Review | MMORPG.com

First unveiled at CES 2021, Intel and its partners are finally releasing their brand new "ultraportable gaming" laptops. We were loaned the MSI Stealth 15M to see exactly what ultralight, ultrathin gaming looks like and whether it's worth buying to grind on the go. Find out in our review.

Read the full story here

Comments

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,165
    I looked at this same laptop, though I decided to go with something smaller and a bit cheaper since I mostly game on my desktop. Ended up buying a Asus rog zephyrus g14, minus the cool anime matrix on the back (kinda pointless). While it does have it's quirks, like for some no webcam or ethernet port, it works for what I need it to do. I would have never used the built in webcam anyways since I can zoom call from desktop.
    GameByNight
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• renstarensta Member RarePosts: 728
    Really cool, my laptop is going to be one year old soon. But cant wait to buy something new. Laptops are really becoming monsters. Hehe, maybe in 3 years or so ill get a new baby.

Basically clicking away text windows ruins every MMO, try to have fun instead of rushing things. Without story and lore all there is left is a bunch of mechanics.
    Add Multi-Quote

• DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    Honestly, I can't call anything an ultrabook unless it gets 8 hours or more off the charger. This battery is small and I'm betting the battery life is terrible.

If they're building for people who use the laptop as their primary device, then this needs to be better prioritized.

Maybe we won't really get great battery life in machines with great specs at reasonable price points until Windows ARM machines become more common. Apple seems to be doing it, so I suspect some Windows OEMs may be looking to capitalize on the sales that can come out of similar devices - assuming developers of some major software packages adopt it (Adobe, Blackmagic, etc.).

And 45% NTSC display flies in the face of that, as well. You basically need an external display to do any type of work that has anything to do with color, cause you will not be able to trust the colors on a display this bad for anything beyond gaming. That is really quite low. Unusably bad.
  • GameByNightGameByNight Hardware and Technology EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 793
    edited April 2021

Darksworm said:

Honestly, I can't call anything an ultrabook unless it gets 8 hours or more off the charger. This battery is small and I'm betting the battery life is terrible.

If they're building for people who use the laptop as their primary device, then this needs to be better prioritized.

Maybe we won't really get great battery life in machines with great specs at reasonable price points until Windows ARM machines become more common. Apple seems to be doing it, so I suspect some Windows OEMs may be looking to capitalize on the sales that can come out of similar devices - assuming developers of some major software packages adopt it (Adobe, Blackmagic, etc.).

And 45% NTSC display flies in the face of that, as well. You basically need an external display to do any type of work that has anything to do with color, cause you will not be able to trust the colors on a display this bad for anything beyond gaming. That is really quite low. Unusably bad.

Battery life is about 4.5 hours, but it's also using the 3060 exclusively (no Optimus options that I could find) so that makes sense. This is not an ultrabook. It's somewhere in between an ultrabook and a gaming laptop. For gaming, the color looks fine, but for anything more than hobby content creation, I agree that you would want an external monitor.

But, and this is crucial, the thin, light design is a big upgrade and pushes the form factor and usability closer to ultrabook territory. No on professional creative applications, but for folks looking for a more mainstream design that has more "oomph" in the hardware department, it's honestly pretty great.
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081

Darksworm said:

Battery life is about 4.5 hours, but it's also using the 3060 exclusively (no Optimus options that I could find) so that makes sense. This is not an ultrabook. It's somewhere in between an ultrabook and a gaming laptop. For gaming, the color looks fine, but for anything more than hobby content creation, I agree that you would want an external monitor.

But, and this is crucial, the thin, light design is a big upgrade and pushes the form factor and usability closer to ultrabook territory. No on professional creative applications, but for folks looking for a more mainstream design that has more "oomph" in the hardware department, it's honestly pretty great.

These laptops all use an iGPU and Optimus for switching between the GPUs. Some have an option to run directly with the Nvidia GPU, but that is not the default. These gaming laptops are just bad at giving usable battery life off the charger. For that, you want a Ryzen 7/9 HS CPU. Those run faster than Intel at a much lower power draw, lower temperatures, and more efficiently. You get a lot more battery life out of them, even with twice as many Cores and Threads.