Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Proshop releases RTX 3080, 3090 and 3070 supply numbers

Comments

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    edited January 2021
    I would say, with respect to EVGA wait list -- expect to wait a very very long time on there. They are just now, for most models, getting through to the people who had signed up in the very first hour of availability... let along the first day, or several weeks/months later.
    [Deleted User]
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    Ridelynn said:
    I would say, with respect to EVGA wait list -- expect to wait a very very long time on there. They are just now, for most models, getting through to the people who had signed up in the very first hour of availability... let along the first day, or several weeks/months later.
    But no harm in joining right?  No down payment or anything is there?

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    remsleep said:
    Ridelynn said:

Nope no down payment - because they just give you an 8 hour window where you are 100% guaranteed to buy one if you want, if you don't - the window expires and it goes on to the next person.

They do limit 1 card per houshold/address
    What happens if they notify you during the night and the 8 hour window has expired by the time you check your e-mail the next day?
    Quizzical said:
    remsleep said:
    Ridelynn said:

Nope no down payment - because they just give you an 8 hour window where you are 100% guaranteed to buy one if you want, if you don't - the window expires and it goes on to the next person.

What happens if they notify you during the night and the 8 hour window has expired by the time you check your e-mail the next day?
    You are SOL
    [Deleted User]
  • Abscissa15Abscissa15 Member UncommonPosts: 69
    This past Friday I spotted an Asus Strix RTX 3090 at Micro Center - in-store pickup only. It was my lunch time at work and Rockville, MD is 70 miles away. I couldn't just up and leave so you can guess what happened. Put on my wish list for notification.
  • cormachcormach Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Ridelynn said:
    Quizzical said:
    remsleep said:
    Ridelynn said:

You are SOL
    Actually, if you read on the EVGA forums, you can call and email them and probably be given another opportunity. They usually send out emails between 9-5 Pacific Time.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    NVidia just announced their financial results: Their revenue from gaming sector, which is mostly GPU sales, was up 67% compared to year earlier. They must be manufacturing quite a lot of GPUs to get that kind of increase, even if it doesn't really help us as long as crypto miners are buying everything.

For next quarter NVidia expects 16% revenue growth. They did not announce how much of that would be coming from their gaming business, but doesn't look like we're getting any huge manufacturing speed increases soon since it's only +16% revenue.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Ridelynn said:
    I’ve been on the list for a 3080 and a 3090. It’s been over 3 months and I’m still waiting.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

Vrika said:
    NVidia just announced their financial results: Their revenue from gaming sector, which is mostly GPU sales, was up 67% compared to year earlier. They must be manufacturing quite a lot of GPUs to get that kind of increase, even if it doesn't really help us as long as crypto miners are buying everything.

For next quarter NVidia expects 16% revenue growth. They did not announce how much of that would be coming from their gaming business, but doesn't look like we're getting any huge manufacturing speed increases soon since it's only +16% revenue.
    I thought we were getting 3070 and 3080 models with extra memory?

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Vrika said:

GDDR6X memory is still only sampling.  Double the memory per card means you can only make half as many cards, at least for a 3080.  The problem with more memory on a 3070 is one of market segmentation, as Nvidia needs an RTX 3080 to be better than an RTX 3070.
    Quizzical said:

Vrika said:

GDDR6X memory is still only sampling.  Double the memory per card means you can only make half as many cards, at least for a 3080.  The problem with more memory on a 3070 is one of market segmentation, as Nvidia needs an RTX 3080 to be better than an RTX 3070.
    Do they in today’s market?  I’ve been semi trying to buy one for months.  Not hardcore trying but I joined one of those Stockwatch Discords that instantly alerts when stock comes in. No luck so far.  Closest I got a few times was getting something in my cart.

I think that if they could produce the same amount of 3070s but charge more due to extra memory they’d just bank the profits.  If 3070 ram is hard to source then that’s a different issue but I thought it used the same as the 3060 which just launched with all that memory.
    Ridelynn

edited April 2021
    NVidia has now told that they "expect demand to continue to exceed supply for much of this year".

They "expect our supplies to increase as the year progresses", so we might see a bit less shortage as year progresses, but it's not looking good.

Source: https://www.techradar.com/news/even-nvidia-doesnt-think-youll-get-an-rtx-3080-this-year

In other news, there's rumor around that NVidia might be bringing GTX 1080 TI back. This is based on some people getting a GTX 1080 TI manufactured on 2021 to replace old one that broke during warranty period.

Source: https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-silently-resurrects-the-GeForce-GTX-1080-Ti.531040.0.html

If NVidia were to bring 1080 TI back now, it would be about equal to RTX 3060 TI, but without RTX or DLSS tech.
    [Deleted User]

How long it takes to be able to keep cards in stock is really just a question of when miners will stop buying them all.  If Nvidia could double their supply of RTX 3000 series cards overnight, the miners would still buy them all and you still wouldn't be able to get one.
    [Deleted User]dragonlee66
    I think I’m on my hundredth Newegg Shuffle.  Never been chosen.
    Ridelynn

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Ahhh the memories of everyone who told me to hold off on buying a system with a GTX 2700 Super last summer because the new cards were just around the corner. So glad I didn't listen :)
    [Deleted User]dragonlee66
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    Ahhh the memories of everyone who told me to hold off on buying a system with a GTX 2700 Super last summer because the new cards were just around the corner. So glad I didn't listen :)
    Last Summer, I was telling anyone who would listen that the RTX 3080 and RTX 3090 would have paper launches.
    [Deleted User]Iselin
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Quizzical said:
    Iselin said:
    Last Summer, I was telling anyone who would listen that the RTX 3080 and RTX 3090 would have paper launches.
    Yeah I know you were. Many others were telling me to wait.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

edited April 2021
    Iselin said:
    Quizzical said:
    Iselin said:
    Yeah I know you were. Many others were telling me to wait.
    I admit - I thought that we'd see more of the mid/lower tier stuff than we have by now - we are still only about halfway through the generational release, and we're several months past the introduction. But even what we have "released" isn't exactly available, so not much point in releasing more SKUs or new products if you can't deliver those either - may as well keep your capacity constrained on the highest margin products you can.

And I had more faith in AMD to deliver. And I didn't count on a resurgence in DIY mining.

I utterly scoffed at nVidia and reviled them for releasing the 2080Ti at $999 MSRP. And I doubled down when they released the 3090 for $1,499. But now, after all the fallout from this disaster, people who were able to pay "only" that were the lucky ones.

(I still revile nVidia for jacking up the MSRP on GPUs, fwiw - they just get a pass on my angst for the moment because scalpers and miners are making it worse)

The only solace I take is that I'm not alone in being wrong... auto plants are shutting down because they can't get enough chips either. And I still can't buy a PS5, let alone a GPU.
    [Deleted User]
  • RungarRungar Member RarePosts: 1,132
    With over 50 cryptocurrencies available i can see this blowing up in alot of peoples faces. Should be pretty cheap to get a used video card then. 
    .05 of a second to midnight
    Rungar said:
    With over 50 cryptocurrencies available i can see this blowing up in alot of peoples faces. Should be pretty cheap to get a used video card then. 
    We will see. I will giggle like a schoolgirl.

But with Coinbase going public... our saving grace seems to be stuck on Eth moving to Proof of Stake.
    [Deleted User]
  • RungarRungar Member RarePosts: 1,132
    edited April 2021
    crypt oh = eight--eee 2 hun dread= the city. 

you get a free belt if you take the road but you must  be bunting, always.

if you can figure that out , youll be like me :)
    .05 of a second to midnight
    What happens when China pushes into Taiwan?

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

If it’s by force....   war

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

TSMC's fabs get blown up and even after the cryptocurrency craze ends, we'll have a much more severe chip shortage than we do today.  It would take several years for Samsung and Intel to build enough fab capacity to bring things back to normal, and a lot of chips would have to be redesigned to work at a different fab.
    Slapshot1188
    Quizzical said:

TSMC's fabs get blown up and even after the cryptocurrency craze ends, we'll have a much more severe chip shortage than we do today.  It would take several years for Samsung and Intel to build enough fab capacity to bring things back to normal, and a lot of chips would have to be redesigned to work at a different fab.
    Add to that China's electronic production dropping out as rest of the world would embargo China.

And only an embargo would be best case situation. If China attacked there's a chance the war could spread out.