Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where are the Video Cards?

Comments

• GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815
    Quizzical said:
    Its really alarming for the gaming community, i checked our local store and everything but the bottom of the barrell cards are available.  The industry really needs to start developing cards for mining and cards for gaming seperately.

3070's are selling for $1500+ second hand and it was supposed to be a $600 option.
    The problem is that, even with cards just for mining, the miners will buy all of those and then also all of the gaming cards.

Nvidia is selling some mining-specific cards, but as best as I can tell, they're just bins that have some part defective so that they can't be sold as a gaming card, but work fine for mining.  For example, if the video decode block doesn't work, that's useless as a consumer part, but miners won't care.

On net, that's a good thing, as it gets more cards to market, even if some of them are eaten up by miners.  But with Nvidia only able to get so much capacity at Samsung, you don't want for them to use some of that limited capacity for chips designed specifically for mining that can't be used for gaming.
    Its my understanding that they can implement a lock feature that would render the cards useless for mining.  
  • GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815
    Wizardry said:
    Its really alarming for the gaming community, i checked our local store and everything but the bottom of the barrell cards are available.  The industry really needs to start developing cards for mining and cards for gaming seperately.

3070's are selling for $1500+ second hand and it was supposed to be a $600 option.

They do make cards exactly for mining AND they are cheaper.So i was wrong in assuming that means the gaming consumer cards would not be afected but as Quizz pointed out the miners will simply buy he gaming cards as well if THEIR cheaper mining cards are not available.

IDK how to remedy the problem,i guess the problem would have to do with online purchasing.The problem is a real problem because if cards become rare to purchase the price will go up.

I can't even really complain about Crypto because our dollar as it is nothing more than a scam a way to control the people while making bank owners wealthier than they already are.

So i can't even think of ANY way to fix this problem aside from limiting who buys online,at least it forces miners to go to stores then we can enforce a one purchase limit.So then they simply come back and buy again so there needs to be layers of protection to actually ever fix this problem.

Then the problem of Crypto,even if every single person had some minute intelligence it won't go away because it is a rich person's game to play,something to invest in and watch the snowball effect similar to a pyramid scheme.Still Crypto is only as good as it can be used for and imo no matter how high it is valued at the real value is MUCH less,i guess no different than our current dollar.

I believe they have the tech to lock out mining from their cards.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    Quizzical said:

The problem is that, even with cards just for mining, the miners will buy all of those and then also all of the gaming cards.

Nvidia is selling some mining-specific cards, but as best as I can tell, they're just bins that have some part defective so that they can't be sold as a gaming card, but work fine for mining.  For example, if the video decode block doesn't work, that's useless as a consumer part, but miners won't care.

On net, that's a good thing, as it gets more cards to market, even if some of them are eaten up by miners.  But with Nvidia only able to get so much capacity at Samsung, you don't want for them to use some of that limited capacity for chips designed specifically for mining that can't be used for gaming.
    Its my understanding that they can implement a lock feature that would render the cards useless for mining.  
    They really can't do that.  They could make drivers recognize a particular program and refuse to run, but it's easy to avoid that by a slight tweak to the code that results in a different program that gives the same output.

I explained on another thread that it might be possible to adjust driver in a way that it causes massive TLB cache thrashing for Ethereum mining without really affecting gaming, which would slow performance by about a factor of 2.  But for that to even be possible, it would have to be something controlled in the driver rather than in silicon, and I'm not sure if that's the case.  And even if it is possible, once there's one driver out there that gives full performance, you can never force miners to update to a newer driver.
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    edited April 2021
    Torval said:
    Asm0deus said:
    Heh got my 5800x around Xmas but couldn't get a gpu...sadly my gtrx760 died so I had to take the gtx 760 out of my wife's PC, she isn't gaming right now anyways, and put that in with my 5800x and pull out one fo the two xfx 5770 amd card I had in my closet....

How effing sad is that or get screwed buying a grossly overpriced old/new card....

I wanted either an ASUS TUF 3070 or an Sapphire 6800. Stupid me expected to get one at MSRP or maybe even a sale. I should have set my expectations at just getting one. Doesn't matter I'd still be disappointed.

Fortunately last year I bought an MSI 1660Ti (great 1440 card btw) when my 970 started giving me problems. It was supposed to be a holdover for the above two cards. What a freaking joke. I paid too much for it at BestBuy and felt screwed. I'm thankful now though because a few weeks later and not even that was an option.

I wanted a 3080 but heh even going to something less recent like the 1660ti it total crazy!

cheapest one:

• $899.99
    • $99.99 Shipping
    • ships from China

https://www.newegg.ca/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1660-ti-gv-n166tixoc-6gd/p/N82E16814932132

Post edited by Asm0deus on
    [Deleted User]

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    edited April 2021
    Rungar said:
    More likely the pandemic has sent demand for computer hardware through the roof though i imagine the "miners" are making it much worse.

How many will lose their shirt I wonder with crypto currencies, the trojan horse to prepare you for digital only currency. 

once its function is complete it will go back to what it was (nothing). Driven by greed many will be milked along the way. 

ANy time people start trading real currency for non-real currency it usually doesn't work out too well.....Crypto is nothing but pure greed and a get rich quick scheme that will benefit a few and leave millions in the dust most likely.
    borghive49
    Rungar said:
    More likely the pandemic has sent demand for computer hardware through the roof though i imagine the "miners" are making it much worse.

How many will lose their shirt I wonder with crypto currencies, the trojan horse to prepare you for digital only currency. 

once its function is complete it will go back to what it was (nothing). Driven by greed many will be milked along the way. 

ANy time people start trading real currency for non-real currency it usually doesn't work out too well.....Crypto is nothing but pure greed and a get rich quick scheme that will benefit a few and leave millions in the dust most likely.
    It will work the way that ridiculous bubbles usually work:  it benefits the people who bought in early and get out before the bubble pops.  It harms and perhaps even financially ruins the people who get caught holding the popped bubble.
    borghive49
  • TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
    It's crazy that used cards are appreciating in value...
    GroqstrongAsm0deus
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Torval said:
    Adding on, TSMC doesn't want EU and the US to build domestic fabs and they don't want to expand. They're going to have to do so, but they're trying to sell "no domestic expansion" hard. I can post the link if you want, but it will take me a little bit to dig it up. It was on Hacker News a few days ago.

Torval said:
    Here is the social media post about the digitimes article covering TSMC pushback against expansion.

You or someone else is just making up a conspiracy theory.

Politically driven domestic expansion in USA and Europe means that the governments would either give straight-out subsidies to anyone competing locally against TSMC's and Samsung's current fabs, or introduce trade rules to give advantage to competitors of their current fabs.

Big businesses speak and lobby about those plans depending on whether it helps them or harms them. It's not a conspiracy, it's just business as usual.

And as for TSMC's expansion, one of their new fab buildings is just about finished in Taiwan, and currently they're setting up to do multi-billion investment for a new fab in USA. This shortage isn't being caused or continued intentionally. The demand for electronics just increased with the pandemic and then further increased with crypto boom, and no-one could have predicted that.

Torval said:
    Here is the social media post about the digitimes article covering TSMC pushback against expansion.

TSMC doesn't have any principled objection to building a fab in the US.  They're in the process of building a 5 nm fab in Arizona.  Any noises that they make to the contrary should be translated as "you have to give us large enough subsidies to make it worth our while".  Given sufficiently large subsidies, they'll happily build however many fabs you want wherever you want, at least in places that they trust that the government won't confiscate the fab.  You just have to give them enough billions of dollars.  Per fab.

What's going on here is that it used to not be terribly expensive to build a foundry, so dozens of companies did.  But every new process node cost more than the previous, so over the course of decades, one company after another decided that they no longer had large enough volume to justify having their own fabs rather than paying someone else to build their chips.

Today, we're down to three companies that build cutting edge logic chips (TSMC, Samsung, and Intel), three that build DRAM (Samsung, Hynix, and Micron), and four that build NAND (Samsung, Hynix, Toshiba/Western Digital, and Micron).  I list "Toshiba/Western Digital" as one even though they're different companies because they have joint ownership of a foundry in Japan.  It used to be joint ownership by Toshiba and SanDisk, but then WD bought SanDisk, mostly because they wanted to be able to produce their own NAND.  I list "Micron" and not IMFT as a NAND producer because Intel sold at least some and probably all of their portion of the NAND fabs to Micron.
    Vrika said:
    Torval said:
    Adding on, TSMC doesn't want EU and the US to build domestic fabs and they don't want to expand. They're going to have to do so, but they're trying to sell "no domestic expansion" hard. I can post the link if you want, but it will take me a little bit to dig it up. It was on Hacker News a few days ago.

Torval said:

You or someone else is just making up a conspiracy theory.

Politically driven domestic expansion in USA and Europe means that the governments would either give straight-out subsidies to anyone competing locally against TSMC's and Samsung's current fabs, or introduce trade rules to give advantage to competitors of their current fabs.

Big businesses speak and lobby about those plans depending on whether it helps them or harms them. It's not a conspiracy, it's just business as usual.

And as for TSMC's expansion, one of their new fab buildings is just about finished in Taiwan, and currently they're setting up to do multi-billion investment for a new fab in USA. This shortage isn't being caused or continued intentionally. The demand for electronics just increased with the pandemic and then further increased with crypto boom, and no-one could have predicted that.
    If you're trying to make a viable competitor to TSMC, then subsidies probably aren't going to get it done.  China has been trying to do that for decades, and the companies that they've subsidized are still several years behind their foreign competitors.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Sovrath said:
    Quizzical said:
    Sovrath said:
    omg! I was about to make the same post. I turned on my computer this morning to see vertical stripes down my screen. After some testing I decided it wasn't the monitor but the video card.

Ok, no problem I'll just buy a new one.

I can't find a decent-priced card anywhere unless I want to pay over $600 US. I was hoping for a GeForce RTX 3060TI ~$400.

But I can't find a thing anywhere.

How are people buying their cards?
    I think most gamers are just really hoping that their current video card keeps working.  If mine were to die, I'd salvage the old Fury X from my previous desktop and put it in the new one.
    I can't seem to find the "I agree AND I'm screwed" button.

Well, I must say, you can all stop worrying and get some sleep! Apparently, it IS my monitor which is easier to replace than a video card.

I bet we're all pretty relieved now I can tell ya! o:)
    QuizzicalVrika[Deleted User]cheyane
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Sal1Sal1 Member UncommonPosts: 430
    Sovrath said:
    Sovrath said:
    Quizzical said:
    Sovrath said:
    omg! I was about to make the same post. I turned on my computer this morning to see vertical stripes down my screen. After some testing I decided it wasn't the monitor but the video card.

Ok, no problem I'll just buy a new one.

I can't find a decent-priced card anywhere unless I want to pay over $600 US. I was hoping for a GeForce RTX 3060TI ~$400.

But I can't find a thing anywhere.

How are people buying their cards?
    I think most gamers are just really hoping that their current video card keeps working.  If mine were to die, I'd salvage the old Fury X from my previous desktop and put it in the new one.
    I can't seem to find the "I agree AND I'm screwed" button.

Well, I must say, you can all stop worrying and get some sleep! Apparently, it IS my monitor which is easier to replace than a video card.

I bet we're all pretty relieved now I can tell ya! o:)
    Ya Ya You betchta. lol

Sovrath
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Go to Bestbuy, go to GPUs, exlude out of stock items in your filter, and you get..drum roll...... NVIDIA - GeForce - RTX NVLINK BRIDGE for 3090 Cards

[Deleted User]
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Rungar said:

Honestly I think we need some stricter regulatory laws in regards to this; in fact just shut it down. If the price for various Cryptos goes up every time Elon Musk tweets to his weird nerds about it, something isn't right. Don't even get me started on the fake Elon Crypto accounts all over twitter.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]Asm0deusborghive49
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    GG4LIFE said:
    Tiller said:
    Rungar said:

Honestly I think we need some stricter regulatory laws in regards to this; in fact just shut it down. If the price for various Cryptos goes up every time Elon Musk tweets to his weird nerds about it, something isn't right. Don't even get me started on the fake Elon Crypto accounts all over twitter.
    I really love the hypocritical BS from you guys. This shit happens every day on the stock market yet I don't see you guys QQing about it on a forum.

It's okay for the stock market and companies to screw people on a daily basis but when it affects me getting a GPU I'll get mad and QQ about it and want the government to overreach and remove it because once again I can't get a GPU! QQQQQQQQQQQ!

I don't even know why I come here anymore? I mean MMORPG is 90% hypocritical QQ babies that just want their way.

I'm glad you guys can't get GPUs!!!
    So you know their usernames on forums that deal with the investment so you know they don't complain about such things?

You essentially just looked at a very specific discussion on a very specific forum and just assumed.

Also, there have been people on this site who have, in the past complained about the idea of growth and the stock market so it's not like it hasn't come up. 
    [Deleted User]
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    edited April 2021
    Sovrath said:
    GG4LIFE said:
    Tiller said:
    Rungar said:

I really love the hypocritical BS from you guys. This shit happens every day on the stock market yet I don't see you guys QQing about it on a forum.

It's okay for the stock market and companies to screw people on a daily basis but when it affects me getting a GPU I'll get mad and QQ about it and want the government to overreach and remove it because once again I can't get a GPU! QQQQQQQQQQQ!

I don't even know why I come here anymore? I mean MMORPG is 90% hypocritical QQ babies that just want their way.

So you know their usernames on forums that deal with the investment so you know they don't complain about such things?

You essentially just looked at a very specific discussion on a very specific forum and just assumed.

Also, there have been people on this site who have, in the past complained about the idea of growth and the stock market so it's not like it hasn't come up. 
    Where did you get this post? I can't find the original one.
    Sal1 said:
    Sovrath said:
    GG4LIFE said:
    Tiller said:
    Rungar said:

Where did you get this post? I can't find the original one.
    He quoted a post that was later deleted.  The entire account that created the post seems to have been deleted, for that matter.
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    The GPU shortage should be dying down soon. Ethereum is moving to proof of stake which should reduce demand of so many GPUs.
    Cleffy said:
    The GPU shortage should be dying down soon. Ethereum is moving to proof of stake which should reduce demand of so many GPUs.
    Yes, that's coming in January 2020.

Oh wait, it got delayed to December 2020.

Now they're talking about doing something in July 2021, but I'm not sure if that's a move to proof of stake or not.
    I'm actually not sure if Ethereum moving to proof of stake will fix the problem.  It will certainly help, but a lot of other cryptocurrencies are also a lot more valuable than they used to be.  The current market capitalization of all cryptocurrencies excluding Bitcoin and Ethereum is about $900 billion.  If there's some combination of other currencies out there that let miners earn $1 billion per month by mining, they'll keep right at it.
    [Deleted User]
    Quizzical said:
    I'm actually not sure if Ethereum moving to proof of stake will fix the problem.  It will certainly help, but a lot of other cryptocurrencies are also a lot more valuable than they used to be.  The current market capitalization of all cryptocurrencies excluding Bitcoin and Ethereum is about $900 billion.  If there's some combination of other currencies out there that let miners earn $1 billion per month by mining, they'll keep right at it.
    So $1.00 US = What in Ethereum and Bitcoin right now? Those are the only 2 I know.
  • DeadGenreDeadGenre Newbie CommonPosts: 7
    I almost got a 3060 a couple days ago when I randomly visited best buy online and they had some in stock but I hesitated and they were sold out when I decided to get one. Probably would have been sold out by the time I checked out anyways.
    Sal1 said:
    Quizzical said:
    So $1.00 US = What in Ethereum and Bitcoin right now? Those are the only 2 I know.
    Here's a list of current prices:

https://coinmarketcap.com

There are more than 100 cryptocurrencies that each have a market capitalization of over $1 billion right now.
    [Deleted User]
  • MrMonolitasMrMonolitas Member UncommonPosts: 263
    My question is, why they allow scalpers buy all of the cards. Verify your identity, one card at the time. Problem solved? But they dont want to solve it. 
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    It's not crypto miners anymore. It's supply shortages.