Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Outriders Review - It's Brutal and Unrelenting, but in a Good Way | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited April 2021 in News & Features Discussion

imageOutriders Review - It's Brutal and Unrelenting, but in a Good Way | MMORPG.com

At first glance, you can easily mistake Outriders as a forgettable looter-shooter RPG. Tread carefully Outrider, there is much more than what the mere demo showed, and you may want to think twice before you knock Enoch.

Read the full story here

Comments

• NurmiporaNurmipora Member UncommonPosts: 16
    Good review !
    maskedweasel
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    It's so brutal, you have to fight with your own system to keep it running as well!
    Viper482chilltime99tremmorTheocritus[Deleted User]

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Great game!
    [Deleted User]maskedweasel

Joined - July 2004

• lollerlabanlollerlaban Member UncommonPosts: 16

GG4LIFE said:

I had some hopes for this game but isn't that good. The camera work is not great and the raycast auto-lock on bullets from the AI is just stupid. The GOW cover spots always give the fights away and you can't even use the cover because its pointless. Why put it in? I like how they lied about the games as a service, you can't play the game if the servers go down. 

I got it cheap so not a big deal but pretty disappointed.

That's not what "Games as a Service" means
    momintimKidRisk[Deleted User]Nickhead420
  • SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    8.5? Is this a paid article?
    Hyperpsycrow

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited April 2021
    Torval said:

GG4LIFE said:

I had some hopes for this game but isn't that good. The camera work is not great and the raycast auto-lock on bullets from the AI is just stupid. The GOW cover spots always give the fights away and you can't even use the cover because its pointless. Why put it in? I like how they lied about the games as a service, you can't play the game if the servers go down. 

That is exactly what GAAS means. If you need an account and/or must connect to external servers only hosted by the developer, then it is a GAAS game. Service oriented is what GAAS means.
    But, but... obligatory language evolves statement.

Most people think of GAAS now as online game with cash shop, battle passes, seasons, etc.

You are correct though, just how I am correct that massively multiplayer must have massive numbers playing concurrently somewhere in the same server of the same world, able to see each other in the world, grouped or not, and interact with each other.

:)
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]seraphis79rojoArcueid
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Torval said:

GG4LIFE said:

That is exactly what GAAS means. If you need an account and/or must connect to external servers only hosted by the developer, then it is a GAAS game. Service oriented is what GAAS means.

No, it's not. It's typically games like MMO's and Shooters and drip feed content in order to keep players playing, ontop of having season passes and microtransactions galore. Look at stuff like Division 2 to see how it actually works.

GG4LIFE said:

GG4LIFE said:

Yet I have to log into the game server to play just like Warframe, Destiny, Anthem. I guess you can spin it however you want but I sure shouldn't be getting kicked from a server when playing a solo game.

And it's still not GaaS. Warframes, Destiny and Anthem were released and they continued development on the game since it's an ongoing service, not an actually finished product.

When you buy Outriders then that's what you get. No store, no microtransactions, no battle passes, no subscriptions need. The game released is the finished product and we don't have to wait 12 months in order to get additional story content or for the developer to finish the game.
    Splattrmmolou
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    GG4LIFE said:

GG4LIFE said:

Yet I have to log into the game server to play just like Warframe, Destiny, Anthem. I guess you can spin it however you want but I sure shouldn't be getting kicked from a server when playing a solo game.

I think that is more akin to always on DRM
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Always-on_DRM
  • enesisxlr8enesisxlr8 Member UncommonPosts: 163
    Great review! agree 100%! Loving the game!
    maskedweaselRemyVorender
  • justintbhsjustintbhs Member UncommonPosts: 80
    edited April 2021
    Watched Angry Joe play this game and he looked like he was falling asleep. He literally stood there emptying full clips into monsters and he did no damage.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited April 2021
    Watched Angry Joe play this game and he looked like he was falling asleep. He literally stood there emptying full clips into monsters and he did no damage.
    You do know that AJ cherry picks clips for shits and giggles, don't you? It's his schtick.

If what you want to do is make fun of a game you can pick any game, use selected clips and do it.
    [Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• justintbhsjustintbhs Member UncommonPosts: 80

Iselin said:

You do know that AJ cherry picks clips for shits and giggles, don't you? It's his schtick.

If what you want to do is make fun of a game you can pick any game, use selected clips and do it.

Clips? This was on his live stream on Twitch. He looked bored to death.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]
  • HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 911

Spiider said:

8.5? Is this a paid article?

Smells like it..dont trust these hypers or influencers
    Spiider[Deleted User]

• SplattrSplattr Member RarePosts: 537

It all depends on class and build. After trying Devastator and hating it I switched to a Technomancer and use rifles as much as possible. I kill all but bosses with a single headshot or a couple hits to the to the body. Also, unlike what many claim, I use Cover all the time since my guy isn't tanky.

The game isn't for everyone though, and many of the points made in this thread are fair but don't necessarily apply to every player. It's on Gamepass if you have an Xbox, worth a try at least. $60, maybe not.
  • NurmiporaNurmipora Member UncommonPosts: 16
    edited April 2021

who the fik whatch that idiot angry joe

well i kill even bosses with one clip and allways max tier .. soo seems angry joe is spreading missinformation and yes hes idiot .. imo score should have been 7.5 game is addictive and fun in team but there is lot to do untill it shines

ps. im not fanboy of this game .. but i just dont like lies !
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,824
    edited April 2021
    What GaaS means has evolved, just like the way cash shops have changed so much, indeed I will now make a new Scot's Law. The more connected you are the more you will pay.
    Post edited by Scot on
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    Overpriced when compared to other, better looter shooters. It's a new game that looks 5 years old.
  • jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962
    The game is a bit too solo and offline to my taste. It looks good and feels good but I need it to be a lot more social.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    Nurmipora said:

who the fik whatch that idiot angry joe

well i kill even bosses with one clip and allways max tier .. soo seems angry joe is spreading missinformation and yes hes idiot .. imo score should have been 7.5 game is addictive and fun in team but there is lot to do untill it shines

ps. im not fanboy of this game .. but i just dont like lies !

What are you even trying to say? xD
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• ArchandesArchandes Member UncommonPosts: 41
    Compared to similar genre like Division or Destiny 2...or even Remnant, Outrider manage to get best of both worlds thanks to the world tier system. If you see lots of bullet sponges or you get killed so quick...that mean your setup isn't that good on that tier level.

If you complain about bullet sponges, then simply tone the difficulty down, and the reward isn't that much of a different between tiers. Yet, if you manage to mow down everything relatively quick on your tier level, most likely you will be able to handle higher difficulty.

If you are complaining about low level loot, simply unlock higher tier and LEVEL UP your weapon via crafting...how hard can it be?!?!?!?
    maskedweasel[Deleted User]
  • tremmortremmor Member UncommonPosts: 80
    edited April 2021

Overpriced when compared to other, better looter shooters. It's a new game that looks 5 years old.

Overpriced in comparision with Destiny 2 where even a shitty expac was priced 60 dollars? LOL
  • xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    Well Phew!

I rolled the dice and gifted it to my one son and he loves it, phew!! lmao, he was honest and said he didn't like it at first, but now loves it.

I was watching his stream last night after running some mythic's, and ummm, if i only had the time, i'd probably snag it for myself and with the incoming ME:L edition, yeah i'm going to have to keep my gaming outside of wow (swg:l a little) to nothing to fit some of that in.

The game looks incredible!
    My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    I revived this game for free when I bought my laptop, still having downloaded it yet.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

GG4LIFE said:

GG4LIFE said:

And it's still not GaaS. Warframes, Destiny and Anthem were released and they continued development on the game since it's an ongoing service, not an actually finished product.

When you buy Outriders then that's what you get. No store, no microtransactions, no battle passes, no subscriptions need. The game released is the finished product and we don't have to wait 12 months in order to get additional story content or for the developer to finish the game.

If the servers shut down and you lose the game then it's a service. That's the difference between selling you a service and selling you a product. Monetization can be whatever they want it to be, but the hole point of it being always online is so they can control everything, which makes it a service.
    mmolou[Deleted User]