Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Year In, How MMO Developers Maintained Their Game Worlds During The Global Pandemic | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited April 2021 in News & Features Discussion

imageA Year In, How MMO Developers Maintained Their Game Worlds During The Global Pandemic | MMORPG.com

We're a year into this pandemic now and the gaming industry has been affected in ways that it likely will see it changed forever. However, maintaining an MMO, something that is always expected to be online and polished, is tricky from an office, even moreso from home. We spoke to multiple MMO studios about the experience and talked about the changes the pandemic forced on the studios themselves.

Read the full story here

Scot

Comments

• GreenSage39GreenSage39 Member UncommonPosts: 144
    I think Pearl Abyss is great...but now that I game almost exclusively on the xbone (soon to be the PS5 when I gift my xbone to a friend.)
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,990

Orthelian said:

Cracks me up a little how people talk about the Wuhan boogaloo so ominously, re: "the global pandemic."

if I understand your comment correctly I take it your a tRumptard?

Can we not resort to immediate name calling, thanks.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    Interesting to see how companies coped. Good article.
    Scot

I take my helm of to them, gaming studios for all the delays and set backs were still operational last year and that could not be easy to pull off.
  • sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766
    we are a year into "two weeks to flatten the curve"
    ScotFTrunks21
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Q: How MMO Developers Maintained their Game Worlds During the Global Pandemic?
    A: Someone left the power on.

What games have actually improved themselves, their services or their support?  What games released new and meaningful expansions?  What companies have opened new servers, or introduced new game modes?  I think you'll find those that actually did anything are in a extremely niche minority.

Gdemami

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    edited April 2021
    Must be hard to cope making billions more.

Iselin

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    How did they cope? Well Kotik got a $200 million bonus on top of his $40 million salary and they laid off 190+ grunts who actually do the work.

I'd say Bobby K coped pretty damn well. Can't say the same for the 190+ families he threw in the dumpster.
    ScotGdemami
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    How did they cope? Well Kotik got a $200 million bonus on top of his $40 million salary and they laid off 190+ grunts who actually do the work.

I'd say Bobby K coped pretty damn well. Can't say the same for the 190+ families he threw in the dumpster.
    But remember all that money coming into the gaming industry, overtaking the revenue of films and TV so the gaming industry is doing better than ever. Yeah right.
    Gdemami
    More stealth post deletions here on this site now than Facebook and Twitter combined.
    I do not believe the staff can delete posts only edit them or ban people. Temporary bans are not what I would wish did happen, but sometimes that's bound to be the direction they go in.
    Gdemami