Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gameforge Bringing Swords of Legends Online to the West Later This Year | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited April 2021 in News & Features Discussion

imageGameforge Bringing Swords of Legends Online to the West Later This Year | MMORPG.com

Gameforge is a publisher you are no doubt familiar with as they are a major Western publisher for several MMOs like AION, TERA, and many others. And it seems like they are working to bring the Asian RPG series Guijan to the West later this year as Swords of Legends Online (SOLO). Here are the details.

Read the full story here

Comments

• RemaliRemali Member RarePosts: 914
    The game seems nice ill check it out !
  • CuddleheartCuddleheart Member UncommonPosts: 391
    Is this that Chinese MMO that had Ray Tracing support back when the 2000 series launched? If so, I've heard good things.
  • tremmortremmor Member UncommonPosts: 80
    GAMEFORGE haahha!!! Besides it looks like any other generic asian anime(yuck!) mmo out there.
  • Cheecher2Cheecher2 Member UncommonPosts: 33
    buy to play chinese mmorpg and published by gameforge hmmmmmmm
  • RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 805
    "In a world you've never seen before..." Then proceeds to show one of the most generic looking Chinese/Korean looking MMOs like so many others on the market.

This release is going to go over as well as that other generic ass game that came out a few years ago. Revelation online or something like that? There was some hype built up for the game. Ended up being a complete and utter dud and now nobody even remembers that it exists.
    I like to complain about games.
  • CuddleheartCuddleheart Member UncommonPosts: 391
    Here's a decent overview of the Chinese version from a few years ago.

Groqstrong[Deleted User]
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Yeah, I'll pass. Gameforge and b2p dont really go together. If it was f2p, maybe....
  • iicecubeiicecube Member UncommonPosts: 53
    It b2p or monthly paid mmo?
  • JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    edited April 2021
    Gameforge Bringing Swords of Legends Online to the West Later This Year.....
    They where doing ok until they mentioned Gameforge
    McSleaz
  • iicecubeiicecube Member UncommonPosts: 53
    Anyway it in steam as well
    Aeander
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    I'm curious. Is there any MMO publisher that people actually like?
    ashiru_1978SandmanjwGreatness
  • GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815
    Graphically looks to be on par maybe a notch below black desert, has action combat, and honestly the market is so dry. I will give this game a go.
    Greatness
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    So they're bringing over an MMORPG that is literally called SOLO?  What could possibly go wrong?
    SandmanjwNitro-1[Deleted User]
  • sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458

Ridrith said:

"In a world you've never seen before..." Then proceeds to show one of the most generic looking Chinese/Korean looking MMOs like so many others on the market.

This release is going to go over as well as that other generic ass game that came out a few years ago. Revelation online or something like that? There was some hype built up for the game. Ended up being a complete and utter dud and now nobody even remembers that it exists.

100% what I thought. Also watched video pasted in comments. Seems pretty but very generic/lifeless. I can't really see myself finding it at all compelling.
  • ashiru_1978ashiru_1978 Member RarePosts: 818
    edited April 2021
    This game feels to me like: - ArcheAge UnchaNGED - failed miserably and was relaunched as B2P, promises for no P2W and then becomes more P2W than the F2P version and everyone is pissed - Astellia - failed in Korea so bad they shut it down and release it in the west as B2P, I don't know about P2W, but the game does not have B2P quality, it has F2P quality and should be F2P - Echo of Soul who knows which version - not sure if running or shut down - Warlords Awakening - now shut down So this game feels the same to me - whether it's successful or a failure in China, it's F2P in China, because Asians don't like non-F2P MMOs, which also means this game is of F2P quality and to sell the base version for 40 EUR is just crazy. I would not even pay 2.50 EURO for it, it just is not worth it, I don't think it will survive with this payment model and Gameforge will soon realize it.

Aeander said:

The only ones I don't like are:

- Nexon for ruining and shutting down my favorite game Ghost in the Shell First Assault (they have done this before and kept doing it after)

- Gamigo because they are just dipshits - they also buy whole publishers and ruin their games and then shut them down, now they are shutting a lot of Aeria anime MMOs

- Perfect World Entertainment - because they shut down Jade Dynasty, Swordsman and a few other games and completely ruined Forsaken World (although it's still running, it's just better to play on some of the few private servers)

I'm OK with pretty much every other publisher. I don't have much experience with Gameforge, but they seem to keep all their original games running, although I don't know exactly in what state. Some people say they've become very P2W, but unless they've introduced patches and expansions (like in Forsaken World) where the game experience is completely changed and ruined, then it's OK with me.
  • shipcommandershipcommander Member UncommonPosts: 24
    generic af
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    Aeander said:
    There certainly isn't any publisher that everyone likes.  But different people have different preferences.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Quizzical said:
    Aeander said:
    There certainly isn't any publisher that everyone likes.  But different people have different preferences.
    I'm sure that's part of it. But from my observation, the mention every single MMO publisher aside from maybe EnMasse seems to illicit immediate (and probably well-deserved) bile.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    No cash shop and a sub? Did I hear that right?
    [Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• oriya9oriya9 Member UncommonPosts: 65
    edited April 2021

Aeander said:

Not so MMO but my two favorite publishers (and developers) ever, specifically for online "game as a service" kind of games are Grinding Gear Games (Path of Exile) and Digital Extremes (Warframe).
    These two publishers also have my two favorite people in the gaming industry (from a consumer perspective), Bex (GGG's CM) and Rebecca Ford (DE's CM).

I also like Bungie (Destiny 2). I have some gripes with them but overall they're pretty damn solid.

Edit:
    I just noticed, they all have something in common - they're all self-published developers. I never actually put too much thought into it. Kinda cool actually
    [Deleted User]
  • BlackboaBlackboa Member UncommonPosts: 167
    edited April 2021
    The game in China is free to play up to level 15 then it has a sub model (hourly sub I think).

The western release will be buy to play with no sub. The cash shop will only have cosmetic items as there is no RNG enhancing system in the game to speak of (HUGE RELIEF).

It may not be reinventing the wheel but the graphics look good, combat looks smooth, it will definitely be a game to find a bit of success out west, even for a little while during a period where a lot of other games are still years off in development.

There is a really good FAQ on their forum explaining all of the things I am mentioning regarding cash shop and other business model related things. Their forum link is here https://forum.solo.gameforge.com/forum/thread/13-swords-of-legends-online-faq/.
    IselinGroqstrong[Deleted User]
  • GreatnessGreatness Member UncommonPosts: 2,180

Graphically looks to be on par maybe a notch below black desert, has action combat, and honestly the market is so dry. I will give this game a go.

Part of me (and probably many others) are itching for a new MMO and want to try this out; the other half (and probably many others) concerned that the track record for many MMOs brought over and the semi-steep cost of this starting at base $39.99 (although this is not all that much, it is if I the game is boring few minutes into it).
    I yearn for an MMO with subscription/buy to play/NO cash shop but they tell us right away their will be one. Again so many players have been burned by this story.
    Groqstrong

~Greatness~

Currently Playing:
    Nothing

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    My beady eyes see a lot in a simple video.It appears that the zones will be very linear,pretty much like a single player game.MMO's need to be open worlds and not a chain of linear zones hand holding you through each.
    Mention of gameplay is very important but nothing mentioned to support it.Is there actually game play or is it same old,click some npc with a marker over it's head and do a quest?
    Then there is something that is a sure tell tale of EFFORT.I doubt hardly anyone notices it besides myself and that is the structures/buildings,do they matter or just 2 d backdrops?

Visually it does look good but that only last for a few minutes then I am looking for actual gameplay and reason to be there in that zone,WHY am i there and i HOPE not just to click some npc with a marker over it's head.

In the last 15 years NOBODY has shown me they are even trying to improve the rpg genre,all i keep seeing is same old new skin,well i want MUCH more than a new skin,i need the GAME.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Blackboa said:
    The game in China is free to play up to level 15 then it has a sub model (hourly sub I think).

The western release will be buy to play with no sub. The cash shop will only have cosmetic items as there is no RNG enhancing system in the game to speak of (HUGE RELIEF).

It may not be reinventing the wheel but the graphics look good, combat looks smooth, it will definitely be a game to find a bit of success out west, even for a little while during a period where a lot of other games are still years off in development.

There is a really good FAQ on their forum explaining all of the things I am mentioning regarding cash shop and other business model related things. Their forum link is here https://forum.solo.gameforge.com/forum/thread/13-swords-of-legends-online-faq/.
    Thanks for that link. That answers the sub question (no sub) and cash shop (cosmetics only... to start at least :))

It's nice, and unusual, to see an MMO come from that part of the world with a less than overtly predatory business model.

Not about to preorder but I'll keep my eye on the localization, alpha and beta progress.

I didn't see timelines for the different milestones. Are any of those known?
    [Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    edited April 2021
    For some reason this reminded me of Age of Wushu.
    xDjevik