Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nielsen closing down "SooperData"

KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 37,498
Not sure how I missed this, guess there isn't much traffic in making stuff up

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing FO76 at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon






AlBQuirkyGdemamitzervo

Comments

  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 15,396
    Damn! One less thing to bicker about in endless threads.
    KyleranbcbullyAlBQuirkyScottzervoTorvalcheyane
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

    "... the "influencers" which is the tech name we call sell outs now..."
    __ Wizardry, 2020
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 10,310
    edited April 7
    Damn what's next? What was the name of that site that tracked games and had voip we argued over be for souperdata?
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 6,694
    Kyleran said:
    Not sure how I missed this, guess there isn't much traffic in making stuff up

    Wasn't that a poster that I don't see around much any more's "GO TO" site?
    Kyleran

    - Al

    Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR


  • AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,412
    There is no way anyone know the population of games when game studio pretty much "try to hide it".

    The only time they release data is when the number is good.  And more often than not it is a misleading number (for example 100 million accounts when there are only 10k concurrent players etc...)
    GdemamiRemaliAlBQuirkyKyleran
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 14,844
    Bought three years ago then shut down, I wonder who if anyone will take the can for that one?
    GdemamiAlBQuirkyKyleran

    25 Agrees

    You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 5,563
    AAAMEOW said:
    There is no way anyone know the population of games when game studio pretty much "try to hide it".

    The only time they release data is when the number is good.  And more often than not it is a misleading number (for example 100 million accounts when there are only 10k concurrent players etc...)
    I have always found this an irritating tactic, as EQ1, made it known how many Active Subscriptions they had all the way up to around 2015 ish, with the rise of F2P, it seems everyone is trying to skirt the numbers, and be all shady, makes then look like losers that are too chicken shit to be upfront about what they have, if you ask me.

    Like some WoW induced inferiority complex.
    AlBQuirkyKyleranGdemami
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 37,498
    edited April 7
    Ungood said:
    AAAMEOW said:
    There is no way anyone know the population of games when game studio pretty much "try to hide it".

    The only time they release data is when the number is good.  And more often than not it is a misleading number (for example 100 million accounts when there are only 10k concurrent players etc...)
    I have always found this an irritating tactic, as EQ1, made it known how many Active Subscriptions they had all the way up to around 2015 ish, with the rise of F2P, it seems everyone is trying to skirt the numbers, and be all shady, makes then look like losers that are too chicken shit to be upfront about what they have, if you ask me.

    Like some WoW induced inferiority complex.
    Well part of it is because it was easy to report on number of paid subs, but with all of the alternative monetization models that figure is irrelevant for most.

    There's a host of other data which they certainly track but rarely share (concurrent users online, active month to month etc) unless they reach some record breaking level and only in a good way.

    As mentioned, we are often fed "weasel" stats, like Zenimax touting how millions tried ESO in 2020.  Yeah, but how many stuck around, and for how long, those figures will never see the light of day.

    Back on topic, it is why I always dismissed SD's claims of providing secret insight into such figures, they were providing their best SWAGs like most everyone else because developers had no more motivation to share such data with them than they did with us.

    GdemamiIselinAlBQuirkyUngood

    "See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

    "I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

    Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing FO76 at the moment.

    Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

    Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon






  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,217
    Oh no not the company that pulled numbers out of it's ass. What ever will we do?
    ScotKyleranAlBQuirky

    "You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

    "classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

    Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

    Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,217
    Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:
    AAAMEOW said:
    There is no way anyone know the population of games when game studio pretty much "try to hide it".

    The only time they release data is when the number is good.  And more often than not it is a misleading number (for example 100 million accounts when there are only 10k concurrent players etc...)
    I have always found this an irritating tactic, as EQ1, made it known how many Active Subscriptions they had all the way up to around 2015 ish, with the rise of F2P, it seems everyone is trying to skirt the numbers, and be all shady, makes then look like losers that are too chicken shit to be upfront about what they have, if you ask me.

    Like some WoW induced inferiority complex.
    Well part of it is because it was easy to report on number of paid subs, but with all of the alternative monetization models that figure is irrelevant for most.

    There's a host of other data which they certainly track but rarely share (concurrent users online, active month to month etc) unless they reach some record breaking level and only in a good way.

    As mentioned, we are often fed "weasel" stats, like Zenimax touting how millions tried ESO in 2020.  Yeah, but how many stuck around, and for how long, those figures will never see the light of day.

    Back on topic, it is why I always dismissed SD's claims of providing secret insight into such figures, they were providing their best SWAGs like most everyone else because developers had no more motivation to share such data with them than they did with us.

    Let's be real here third party population trackers that count in-game players are probably more accurate than anything the companies or superdata ever published.
    KyleranAlBQuirky

    "You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

    "classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

    Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

    Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

  • RungarRungar Member UncommonPosts: 175
    Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:
    AAAMEOW said:
    There is no way anyone know the population of games when game studio pretty much "try to hide it".

    The only time they release data is when the number is good.  And more often than not it is a misleading number (for example 100 million accounts when there are only 10k concurrent players etc...)
    I have always found this an irritating tactic, as EQ1, made it known how many Active Subscriptions they had all the way up to around 2015 ish, with the rise of F2P, it seems everyone is trying to skirt the numbers, and be all shady, makes then look like losers that are too chicken shit to be upfront about what they have, if you ask me.

    Like some WoW induced inferiority complex.
    Well part of it is because it was easy to report on number of paid subs, but with all of the alternative monetization models that figure is irrelevant for most.

    There's a host of other data which they certainly track but rarely share (concurrent users online, active month to month etc) unless they reach some record breaking level and only in a good way.

    As mentioned, we are often fed "weasel" stats, like Zenimax touting how millions tried ESO in 2020.  Yeah, but how many stuck around, and for how long, those figures will never see the light of day.

    Back on topic, it is why I always dismissed SD's claims of providing secret insight into such figures, they were providing their best SWAGs like most everyone else because developers had no more motivation to share such data with them than they did with us.

    steam is the most accurate data. Even though only a part of the eso playerbase plays on steam it is a significant ( and ever increasing) chunk of the playerbase. My guess is that around 20% play on steam overall considering eso is a top seller on steam. ESO usually has about 30k concurrents  on steam so I would imagine the active playerbase is less than 500k.  
    GdemamiAlBQuirkyKyleran
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 18,779
    IDK if directly related but appears to me anyhow that the newer focus of this type of marketing business has geared more towards the Esport scene which Super Data didn't do.

    They mention this SD shutdown will simply be added to their other sports minded services which likely has to do with Esports.




    AlBQuirkyUngood

    Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

  • cameltosiscameltosis Member EpicPosts: 2,892
    Im happy to see the end of SuperData Research.


    They were shit.


    I'm sure the data they collected was accurate and good quality. If I were running a large publisher, I would definitely have paid money to get access to that data.

    My issue is that they didn't collect much data (less than 1% of the games industry), they didn't understand the industry at all (as evidenced by their inability to put games into the correct genre) and all their predictions and analyses of the industry were complete garbage.
    AlBQuirkyKyleranGdemami
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 7,819
    You recall how people were shocked at how certain games were doing and their MAUs when Daybreak was sold. It isn't about registered users it is about which users are actually spending their money.
    KylerantzervoAlBQuirkykitarad
    Chamber of Chains
Sign In or Register to comment.