Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Returning MMO Player

Comments

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Faileas said:
    Oh my god, that had me roaring with laughter... I am so embarrassed. OF COURSE I AM DEALING WITH GROWN MEN HERE WHO ARE ALREADY SETTLED.
    Or even beyond :) (since grown and settled indicates something around 30?)

Based on threads like the First game/First MMORPG I believe it's a safe bet a lot of us here are in the 40s and 50s, maybe even higher.
    Many of us started with ZX and Commodore games in the '80s, according to the thread. Some even earlier...
    Faileas said:
    This he doesn't get... We did plan on playing some SWTOR together next week, when his Internet is better, so hopefully I'll have an easier time talking to him about videogames instead of my dirty escapades. Then I'll mention MMORPG.com forums and see how he reacts... >:)
    If MMORPGs are not his liking, Scorchien mentioned the game It Takes Two in the other thread, and the reviews are actually nice. Looks like it's built for couples and shared play.

SWTOR is good as well for a duo play, lots of heroic2 and 4 missions, but a good pair (and companions) can clear out most heroic4 too.
    Faileas
  • FaileasFaileas Member UncommonPosts: 84
    Po_gg said:
    Or even beyond :) (since grown and settled indicates something around 30?)

Based on threads like the First game/First MMORPG I believe it's a safe bet a lot of us here are in the 40s and 50s, maybe even higher.
    Many of us started with ZX and Commodore games in the '80s, according to the thread. Some even earlier...
    Oh, he's going to love that. >:) Now I can add even more detail to my smutty fantasies with him. ;) Ah, the things you do for love... o:)
    Po_gg said:
    If MMORPGs are not his liking, Scorchien mentioned the game It Takes Two in the other thread, and the reviews are actually nice. Looks like it's built for couples and shared play.

SWTOR is good as well for a duo play, lots of heroic2 and 4 missions, but a good pair (and companions) can clear out most heroic4 too.
    We played Dauntless together and we had such a blast. Lots of laughs and fun idiotic actions (mostly on my part, though). But a blast nonetheless. Shame it was so heavily instanced based, otherwise we would have probably kept to it... :)

We played Spiral Knights waaaay back together, too, and it was fun. We both like to play videogames together, but I'm also very independent... Do not like spending too much time with my boo (I'm used to being so independent that I get very tetchy when I have to spend too much time with just about anyone). I DO LOVE HIM, but it's just... eh, I can't let my lone self fly. It's just too embedded within me. Do you know that feelings of being too afraid of losing yourself to someone else? I don't want to lose myself to someone else. I didn't even have a teddybear when I was a kid. Human attachments are not exactly to my understanding. :)

The both of us also LOVE Star Wars, so I think it will be a safe bet. As long as we can play together, it doesn't really matter what the game is all about though. I played SWTOR at launch, but for some reason I can't remember anything specific about it... I think it didn't really capture my interest at the time... Hopefully now it'll be a completely different experience. Besides, now I get to fool around with my man. :D It's not always a bad thing to start an old MMO later in life... :)  
    UngoodPo_gg
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:
    True love, is not smothering them in their sleep because you would miss them in the morning.

LOL.
    I think my wife has considered smothering me some nights due to my snoring.

I wake up with bruised ribs some mornings.

;)

I recall being rudely wakened by a punch in the shoulder because I was dreaming and my wife took exception to being kicked (had dreams of playing soccer when in the Army) :lol:
    UngoodFaileasKyleran

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

Just a quick update... 

While we were lying in bed tonight, he said to me: "I shall do whatever commandest thee..." and started talking about metaphysical stuff OUT OF NOWHERE. Either he has an account on MMORPG.com and has read my Thread, or it's divine intervention working out its magic...  That's when I realized how sexy he was. He then proceeded to whisper into my ear asking me why I was laughing so uncontrollably loud... "What are you hiding, naughty girl...? When you laugh like that it's called "Duper's Delight" with "I'll love you no matter what you do..." at the end. So hot...

And then it dawned on me: 

I am evil. I must be propelled by some pure Satanic force to do the things I have done. How can I have been so friendly with P_ogg and Ungood when I am with him?!?! I would feel so HURT if I found out he was being so generous with any of his lady friends, especially behind my back. P_ogg, Ungood, you are both precious to me... This is true. You've both been too kind. I don't deserve any of your support... I AM WICKED. I never thought I would have been capable of such treachery, but apparently I'm no better than a harlot. Ugh... 

Things I have learned so far the absolute hard way: 

1. Think twice before you act. Actually, in my case... Think a thousand times over.

2. Already thought a thousand times over and maybe have it rechecked by someone else with brains? Ok. Good. You may proceed to step 3.

3. Keep things always ON TOPIC no matter what.

4. KEEP THINGS ALWAYS ON TOPIC NO MATTER WHAT AND DO NOT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD SHARE YOUR PERSONAL MATTERS WITH ANYONE ELSE EXCEPT FOR YOUR CLOSE FRIENDS OR ON AN ANYNOMOUS MESSAGE BOARD YOU TWAT

Why does this always happen to me? It's always the same story... I live for the moment, it feels fantastic, but then as soon as I land on the ground everything around me collapses. Am I delusional? Am I just stupid? Am I possessed by some demon that is out to destroy my life? People like my should just stick to drawing and shut the hell up... :'( 

Don't let my awesome oratory skills fool you. I am nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Have a good night. 

UngoodPo_ggAlBQuirky
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Faileas said:
    Just a quick update... 

While we were lying in bed tonight, he said to me: "I shall do whatever commandest thee..." and started talking about metaphysical stuff OUT OF NOWHERE. Either he has an account on MMORPG.com and has read my Thread, or it's divine intervention working out its magic...  That's when I realized how sexy he was. He then proceeded to whisper into my ear asking me why I was laughing so uncontrollably loud... "What are you hiding, naughty girl...? When you laugh like that it's called "Duper's Delight" with "I'll love you no matter what you do..." at the end. So hot...

I am evil. I must be propelled by some pure Satanic force to do the things I have done. How can I have been so friendly with P_ogg and Ungood when I am with him?!?! I would feel so HURT if I found out he was being so generous with any of his lady friends, especially behind my back. P_ogg, Ungood, you are both precious to me... This is true. You've both been too kind. I don't deserve any of your support... I AM WICKED. I never thought I would have been capable of such treachery, but apparently I'm no better than a harlot. Ugh... 

1. Think twice before you act. Actually, in my case... Think a thousand times over.

2. Already thought a thousand times over and maybe have it rechecked by someone else with brains? Ok. Good. You may proceed to step 3.

4. KEEP THINGS ALWAYS ON TOPIC NO MATTER WHAT AND DO NOT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD SHARE YOUR PERSONAL MATTERS WITH ANYONE ELSE EXCEPT FOR YOUR CLOSE FRIENDS OR ON AN ANYNOMOUS MESSAGE BOARD YOU TWAT

Why does this always happen to me? It's always the same story... I live for the moment, it feels fantastic, but then as soon as I land on the ground everything around me collapses. Am I delusional? Am I just stupid? Am I possessed by some demon that is out to destroy my life? People like my should just stick to drawing and shut the hell up... :'( 

We are chatting on a message board about games, a hobby we all share, and for some of us, derive joy from playing these games, for several years at a time, we even have one member that has been playing UO for 24 years straight.. Nothing but mad props for that.

So we hang out here, talk stuff, maybe talk a little trash, but at the end of the day are, I hope, somewhat decent people, and hopefully at the end of our discussions, maybe not want tea bag the shit out each other in some obscure PvP game.. sometimes.. we do.. I know I have felt that urge towards some posters.. I am sure others have felt it towards me as well.

What We are not having is some gnarly affair like horses in heat in the back of a car on a dirt road out in the middle of nowhere.

So there is no reason for you to not enjoy sharing a discussion with people that all share the same hobby with you. If your beloved was into MMO's he is just as welcome as you are to come and post with us, join discussions, start discussions, and what have you, and we would.. for the most part (Highly depending on how he acted) treat him pretty much the same as you.

Just like if we are all model train makers, or discussing mad photoshop skills, this is just a forum for people who enjoy a specific hobby.
    katzklawAlBQuirky
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
    edited April 2021
    Faileas said:
    Just a quick update... 

Have a good night. 

Unless you have been private messaging some intimate stuff with these posters... actually you did nothing wrong by any standards and neither did they.

Everyone enjoys your posts, nothing you should feel guilty for... maybe you're just new to an online community?  Carry on B)
    UngoodPo_ggkatzklawAlBQuirky
  • CuddleheartCuddleheart Member UncommonPosts: 391
    UngoodKyleranAlBQuirkycheyane
  • katzklawkatzklaw Member UncommonPosts: 101
    uhm. if you are being made to believe that you cannot have friends of the opposite sex, that is the textbook example of a controlling toxic relationship... 

i'd advise you to examine the situation carefully. please. for the sake of your mental health. 
    Ungood
    edited April 2021
    What others said, nothing wicked or evil here, and no treachery either. You're just having a forum conversation with random people.
    Honestly, hard to think on anything less treacherous than this :)

If you mail about something at work for instance, then you actually know them in person.
    Or on discord, the chat is more "on time" and responsive.
    On cam you actually see and hear others. And it's still nothing even close to treachery if you simply chat about work, hobby or anything.

If the "behind the back" part worries you, why don't just show him the thread?
    It's a friendly and civil discussion (some threads can have quite the drama and heated debates), there's no evil, harlot things in it... as Twisted says
    Everyone enjoys your posts, nothing you should feel guilty for...

AlBQuirky
    Ungood said:
    What We are not having is some gnarly affair like horses in heat in the back of a car on a dirt road out in the middle of nowhere.
    I DON'T want this. Not at all. I've always just wanted people to talk to about shared interests like MMOs...
    Unless you have been private messaging some intimate stuff with these posters... actually you did nothing wrong by any standards and neither did they.

Everyone enjoys your posts, nothing you should feel guilty for... maybe you're just new to an online community?  Carry on B)
    Yeah, I am DEFINITELY new to online communities. D:
    katzklaw said:
    uhm. if you are being made to believe that you cannot have friends of the opposite sex, that is the textbook example of a controlling toxic relationship... 

i'd advise you to examine the situation carefully. please. for the sake of your mental health. 
    He would LOVE for me to have friends of the opposite sex. But he always turns my relationships with other men into... Something dirty. I allow it because I love him, but I think this fetish of his is getting out of hand... It's turning me into something I am essentially not. 

I have given up with making friends with men because they either a) fall in love with me or b) don't want to talk to me anymore because I have a bf. This is why it's so hard for me to form lasting friendships with people, because my interest are... I guess masculine and weird?

I haven't been able to find many "girl" friends who are also into the same things as I do. And when I do find them they always either a) fall in love with me or b) get jealous of me and treat me badly. At this point I've just decided to do most thing on my lonesome. And I don't MIND. As long as I can entertain other people, even if they're strangers, that's good enough for me. I feel kind of inspired to go back into writing/creating web comics... Just silly stories or dramas. :) I think I need to channel my energies in more productive ways than this. Because it's just causing me to feel anxious over dumb things that don't matter in the end... 
    Po_gg said:
    What others said, nothing wicked or evil here, and no treachery either. You're just having a forum conversation with random people.
    Honestly, hard to think on anything less treacherous than this :)

If you mail about something at work for instance, then you actually know them in person.
    Or on discord, the chat is more "on time" and responsive.
    On cam you actually see and hear others. And it's still nothing even close to treachery if you simply chat about work, hobby or anything.

If the "behind the back" part worries you, why don't just show him the thread?
    It's a friendly and civil discussion (some threads can have quite the drama and heated debates), there's no evil, harlot things in it... as Twisted says
    Everyone enjoys your posts, nothing you should feel guilty for...
    See, this is that Satanic force making me feel guilty over JUST HAVING FUN. :( I'm sure if I showed him this Thread he would understand... But yeah, I can't shake off this feeling that I am on the wrong path. Really, I just want to make friends and be able to make other people laugh and be silly with them is what makes me happy. I haven't really spent that much time with others in a long time, I guess I'm just overly excited about expressing myself again after so long... It also doesn't help that I have active imagination which can either create amazing worlds or cause me to self-destruct. A LOT of existential mental fodder for me to think about...

Thanks all for helping me out. I don't feel comfortable talking about this stuff with my social circle because they don't understand me. They even think I'm weird for liking videogames as much as I do. Sometimes I feel like I'm a stranger in a strange land... Again, thank you all for being so level-headed and composed! It brings peace to my mind. May you all be well! <3 :)

AlBQuirkyPo_gg
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    katzklaw said:

Yeah, I can just see telling my wife I'm heading to the beach today with my "friend "

Hey, she's not bad, just drawn that way, really....   B)

Po_ggAlBQuirkyScot[Deleted User]cheyaneUngood

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Yeah, I can just see telling my wife I'm heading to the beach today with my "friend "
    "No, you don't need to worry, she's married and her husband is a rich celebrity."
    B) 

Faileas said:
    They even think I'm weird for liking videogames as much as I do. Sometimes I feel like I'm a stranger in a strange land...
    You should tell them they're living in the past, liking videogames is now the trend and the hip thing, as a matter of fact they are the minority in this.
    Game industry is now a juggernaut, and not without a reason.

I'm not a fan of Blizzard and Wow, but when they started the adverts with Mr. T and Norris, on prime time, even the most notorious "games are for the weird people" advocates had to reconsider their views...

Same for roleplaying, long gone the good times of sewers and pentagrams :D

AlBQuirkyUngoodKyleran
    Kyleran said:
    katzklaw said:

Hey, she's not bad, just drawn that way, really....   B)

Yah.. but your wife beats you about the head and body in your sleep - Because True Love

So I am sure she would understand better than most.
    AlBQuirkykatzklawKyleran
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• RungarRungar Member RarePosts: 1,132
    Remember that online, no one knows your a "female" until you intentionally alert them, which is usually a pathetic attempt to cause drama, gain attention and weave chaos.

Even sadder is that it works pretty much every time.
    katzklaw
    .05 of a second to midnight
  • CuddleheartCuddleheart Member UncommonPosts: 391
    Rungar said:
    Remember that online, no one knows your a "female" until you intentionally alert them, which is usually a pathetic attempt to cause drama, gain attention and weave chaos.

Stop tapping on the glass.  I'm trying to watch this.
    AlBQuirkyRungarUngoodkatzklaw[Deleted User]Kyleran
    Welp. I feel pretty ridiculous now.

I was just looking for a platform to air my grievances. I now know that this is not the proper place to do it. 

Not looking for a fight this time around. I hope you guys are doing well. My experience until now here has been fright/enlightening, and I learn as I go.  I want to leave you people with this, that it might help you out as well if you ever find yourself in a time of crisis or in need of deep reflection:

I had an epiphany as I was going for a walk in the woods today (great exercise if you ever feel like sorting your thoughts out), I used my mind to figure out how I could properly use my imagination to create something purposeful... Like a webcomic or painting.

As I was reading my posts here I thought: "Wow, my life is actually pretty damn interesting and I make for a funny character." I've never written my thoughts out loud before, but after my experience here I think I should... Only to myself next time, though. ;) Sorry, I'm glad that my life is so entertaining to you Cuddleglass (and I mean it sincerely! It means it has potential! :D). My initial idea was that perhaps my own life experiences could help me into creating an interesting webcomic or story. But then as I thought more deeply about it... How can I be so delighted at my own pain and suffering? This can't be the right way to go. 

So then I examined my thoughts further, and what surprised me is that an image appeared to me of a "stern looking guy with a grey beard" who told me I should focus my attention deliberately, not to let it wander on silly things and meaningless pursuits. This is what got me into danger in the first place. I allowed for my energies to be scattered without properly directing them first. Error number one.

Secondly, what I realized is that your imagination can either BREAK you (relentless inner self critic) or MAKE you (utilizing your creative powers to beauty in the world). It is up to you how you use your power. Be gentle with it and use it with the utmost respect, if you can. 

Thirdly, ALWAYS follow your own Inner Compass and Truth. Do not let society dictate for you what you can do, say or think. You know when something feels right to do? When it brings inner peace and contentment. This is when you know you're making the right decisions in life. AKA: Do not post personal "drama" on public forums. X)

Well... That's it for now. I want to write more in-depth about my "experiences" in consciousness... This is something MMORPG.com forums has also helped me with, although... Very indirectly. Peace. :) 

UngoodkatzklawAlBQuirky
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Faileas, I have come on here to ask you to post on another thread, you post often and well, the rest of the forums could do with some livening up. :)
    katzklawUngoodKylerancameltosisAlBQuirky
    Faileas said:
    So then I examined my thoughts further, and what surprised me is that an image appeared to me of a "stern looking guy with a grey beard" who told me I should focus my attention deliberately, not to let it wander on silly things and meaningless pursuits.

That's me by the way, I often look like a angry gray bearded dwarf in real life.
    katzklaw[Deleted User]ScotAlBQuirky

Ungood said:
    Faileas said:
    So then I examined my thoughts further, and what surprised me is that an image appeared to me of a "stern looking guy with a grey beard" who told me I should focus my attention deliberately, not to let it wander on silly things and meaningless pursuits.

That's me by the way, I often look like a angry gray bearded dwarf in real life.
    I tend to look like a bald version of Santa with a goatee....

Not the same?
    UngoodkatzklawScotAlBQuirky[Deleted User]

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Rungar said:

Yeah but odds are it's a male that identifies as a female......
    AlBQuirky
  • katzklawkatzklaw Member UncommonPosts: 101

so what if it is?
    katzklaw said:

so what if it is?

UngoodkatzklawScot[Deleted User]AlBQuirky[Deleted User][Deleted User]

Rungar said:

*must resist urge to weave even more chaos* 

UngoodAlBQuirkyKyleran
    Faileas said:
    Rungar said:

*must resist urge to weave even more chaos* 

Spread More Chaos! 

More Chaos!

Stir the Pot for the Pot Stir God!
    Drama for the Drama Throne!
    [Deleted User]AlBQuirkyScotFaileasKyleran

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:
    Faileas said:

I tend to look like a bald version of Santa with a goatee....

Not the same?

Sooo.... Not a cat?

<saddest face of disappointment>
    Ungood[Deleted User]MendelScotKyleran

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR