Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What was your first computer game? First MMO?

124»

Comments

• HazenXIIIHazenXIII Member UncommonPosts: 161
    First computer game was Wolfenstein 3D (or DOOM 2... can't remember because I was like 4 or 5 years old). First MMO was Star Wars Galaxies.
  • vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768
    edited March 2021
    the first game, digger (google it if you don't know) was going to say Pacman but then I remember it was atari, not pc, the first MMO is a mud text-based forgot what the title is. 

edit: I remember the mud text game title it was avatar. 
  • SagethornSagethorn Member UncommonPosts: 57
    Had a c64
    wasted my childhood playing pitfall, bubble bobble, rainbow islands
    [Deleted User]
  • waveslayerwaveslayer Member UncommonPosts: 507
    first computer game was a martial arts side scroller, first MMoRPG was a text based mudd Dragon Quest, first visual MMo was Everquest in 1999.

Godz of War I call Thee

• CuddleheartCuddleheart Member UncommonPosts: 391
    first computer game was a martial arts side scroller
    Karateka?  I feel like that snuck into every classroom with an Apple II - even if there was only that green monochrome monitor.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    first computer game - master of Magic
    First MMO- UO for one day then EQ for next 5 years.
  • jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962
    edited March 2021
    One of the first videogames I remember must have been either Cat Alley or Double Dragon or Shinobi or any of the sierra *insert name¨*-quest games. It was around the same time. But they were not my own.
    My own first game I bought was probably Gabriel Knight 2 and one of the flight simulators, which was already in CD Rom time.
    I was so obsessed with Gabriel Knight. My CD Rom was damaged so I found a 2nd hand in the papers and was so happy I could continue.
    Also read the book a few years back.
    Before that I played a lot of shareware games.

First MMO was WoW at launch.
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,785
    The first computer games I played were sports games in bars. When the fantasy sorts of games came to the bars, I tried one but I wasn't too into it because it was way to confining. 
    My first home game was a NFL football game, Atari or something in that era. 
    I only tried that because my wife had it as a freebee included in her first comp. 

My wife knew I like D&D, and I still wasn't that into computers. But her craft friends on their forums were talking about their husbands being really excited about a D&D sort of fantasy game called Ultima Online, with thousands of players in the same world. 
    Now THAT caught my attention, I checked it out, and got pretty excited myself. 
    So UO was my first MMORPG. 
    Sovrath

Once upon a time....

• FaileasFaileas Member UncommonPosts: 84
    edited March 2021
    Mine was Tibia. I was only 11 year's old and I named my very first MMO character after "Lavinia" from the book "Letter For The King". I also met my very first Internet boyfriend in that game, he was four years older than me... We started talking after he noticed my name, which quickly led into a funny conversation about our similar love for the book. He was very courteous and kind to me. He also introduced me to a lot of cool games back then like Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy X/X-2. Those were innocent times. :) 
  • hayes303hayes303 Member UncommonPosts: 427
    edited March 2021
    In the school library there was a Apple 2c with Oregon trail on it. I played that but no one got much computer time.

When I was 12, my dad bought a IBM XT and the guy gave him the 5 1/4 disks for Curse of the Azure bonds. That was where I got hooked.
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    First game that was really mine was Alphabet Zoo on Atari 800.  Being 10 years younger I mostly played hand me downs.

First MMO was probably Dark Sun Online or Meridian 59.  
  • mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,625
    First game I ever played on a PC was Doom 2. It was at a game store that had 4 computers networked in the back, and I was instantly addicted. A couple years later a friend introduced me to Ultima Online, and that was basically crack. Some great times!
    TwistedSister77
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,389
    edited March 2021
    Dunno which one was first tbh but was on an Atari VCS or Vic 20 I think!

Was prolly Pong or somesuch.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• HengistHengist Member RarePosts: 1,282
    Zork and Loderunner on a C64.....

MMO? Well, first one I consider a "modern" real one was UO.

I remember playing Neverwinter Nights on AOL back in the early 90's, but at $6 an hour back then, I used to have to budget some playtime!

Lol, I don't miss those days...
  • GorweGorwe Member Posts: 1,424
    My first pseudo MMO was Guild Wars 1(I don't consider that an MMO). My first real MMO was Warhammer Online.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    A Cannon PC from qvc with a 8mg processor. I l later added a 3 1/4 (half?) disk drive, 2.4Ik modem and a 60 gig hard drive that cost my mom $600 alone.. I was 13. Thanks mom!

WoW if you dont count all the MUDs I played. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,814
    Lots of great responses!

I've probably got the earliest date: playing Adventure/Zork on a PDP-11 in 1977.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• SwankdSwankd Member UncommonPosts: 243
    My first MMO I REALLY got into was Runes of Magic. I put 1000s of hours into it and when it first came out the community was so fun and the game was packed with people. Really sad to see where it went.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Commander Keen on an old Epson Equity 2+ with EGA graphics.

I also had an original Pong.

• jitter77jitter77 Member UncommonPosts: 512
    I'm not sure what my first game was.   I had a commodore 128 and most games you had to put it into commodore 64 mode to play.   I had a ton of games.   I remember commando, the summer and winter Olympic games,  maniac Manson etc etc...I was looking into games and impossible mission kept coming up.   I do not remember that one? 
    As for Mmo it was some sort of mud where i dialed someone else's pc.  
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    First video game was Pong. First computer game was a game called Pyramid for the TRS80

First MMO was UO, my first Ultima was III ;)

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee