Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Decentralized file storage and blockchain cloud streaming

2»

Comments

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 4,387
    Torval said:
    Torval said:
    It seems like people have some out of band ideas about what blockchain is or can deliver at least for established systems. For one thing blockchain does not equal cryptocurrency. For another, it doesn't mean those storage transactions are distributed across every workstation. It provides a verifiable transaction chain among several other things. Blockchain storage solutions may provide a less expensive option than traditional storage but is something that needs to fit a proper use case and the business model and system it is paired with. Blockchain storage is a hybrid cloud solution that works with regional server clusters (like Redshift) and localized networks. This is a way to track, manage, and calculate on business assets.

IBM has some reasonably easy to understand explanations of their blockchain storage and services. None of it has to do with cryptocurrency by the way.

Microsoft's Blockchain page.

And Red Hat's OpenShift page which can implement blockchain or traditional solutions.

They talk about it's use for bank transactions, and it'll be used for cryptocurrencies too. 
    Tulip bulbs and seashells aren't out of the realm of possibility either. 

Did you even read the details or watch any of the sales videos before hauling out the Q-conspiracy bogeyman? The blockchain in this case is used to track items for bank transactions. Everything in a supply chain has to be tracked for "bank transactions" even if the tracking system isn't blockchain based so your "scary" point, that "crypto" will somehow sneak in, makes no sense.

Not only that the explanation even touched on how blockchain does not equal cryptocurrency. Blockchain offers the ability to expedite real time tracking of items down to the component if necessary (if the system was built to track that). What it can offer is a way to more accurately provide real time logistics regarding where supply chain components are, as an example.

Microsoft XBox uses Azure blockchain to more quickly calculate their Xbox royalties. I would imagine this is because everything can be more quickly and accurately tracked with regards to usage. This allows them to calculate their royalties much quicker. That doesn't mean they're using cryptocurrencies and has nothing to do with such.

Cryptocurrencies, like Ethereum, do use blockchain but that doesn't mean a blockchain system automagically equates to a crypto integration. Not only that but as we've seen with ridiculous systems like NFTs being associated with easily copied digital creations, the source doesn't need to be blockchain to use a crypto.
    Torval, you said it yourself, "the details or watch any of the sales videos", which I'd point out that aren't telling the whole story in any case. 
    The real point is that it's not how they use it now, it's how it will be used in the future. 

As an example, G. W. Bush passed the law that allowed tracking of everything because of 9-11. 
    And it was abused, laws broken, lies told, to spy on Donald Trump behind false accusations paid for by a political opponent. 

What makes you think that this transaction system won't be evolved into THE SYSTEM of currency? 

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not against Blockchain technology, but against it not being restricted before it's too late. Same for Cryptocurrencies. 

I just want people to be aware and for this issue to be resolved. 

And no, I do not trust the tech giants. 
    AlBQuirky

Once upon a time....

• CuddleheartCuddleheart Member UncommonPosts: 305
    So I think bittorrent has a crypto sorta like the OP described.  I believe the problem(for bittorrent, not crypto as a whole) is the value of the coin doesn't make it worth mining  or whatever you have to do for them.
    AlBQuirkybcbully
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 4,387
    So I think bittorrent has a crypto sorta like the OP described.  I believe the problem(for bittorrent, not crypto as a whole) is the value of the coin doesn't make it worth mining  or whatever you have to do for them.
    That was supposed to be a limiting factor. 
    But it didn't work because cryptocurrencies are actually a commodity, one that doesn't actually exist in the real world. 
    AlBQuirky

Once upon a time....

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 37,498
    edited April 5
    Torval said:
    Torval said:
    It seems like people have some out of band ideas about what blockchain is or can deliver at least for established systems. For one thing blockchain does not equal cryptocurrency. For another, it doesn't mean those storage transactions are distributed across every workstation. It provides a verifiable transaction chain among several other things. Blockchain storage solutions may provide a less expensive option than traditional storage but is something that needs to fit a proper use case and the business model and system it is paired with. Blockchain storage is a hybrid cloud solution that works with regional server clusters (like Redshift) and localized networks. This is a way to track, manage, and calculate on business assets.

IBM has some reasonably easy to understand explanations of their blockchain storage and services. None of it has to do with cryptocurrency by the way.

And Red Hat's OpenShift page which can implement blockchain or traditional solutions.

They talk about it's use for bank transactions, and it'll be used for cryptocurrencies too. 

Did you even read the details or watch any of the sales videos before hauling out the Q-conspiracy bogeyman? The blockchain in this case is used to track items for bank transactions. Everything in a supply chain has to be tracked for "bank transactions" even if the tracking system isn't blockchain based so your "scary" point, that "crypto" will somehow sneak in, makes no sense.

Not only that the explanation even touched on how blockchain does not equal cryptocurrency. Blockchain offers the ability to expedite real time tracking of items down to the component if necessary (if the system was built to track that). What it can offer is a way to more accurately provide real time logistics regarding where supply chain components are, as an example.

Microsoft XBox uses Azure blockchain to more quickly calculate their Xbox royalties. I would imagine this is because everything can be more quickly and accurately tracked with regards to usage. This allows them to calculate their royalties much quicker. That doesn't mean they're using cryptocurrencies and has nothing to do with such.

Cryptocurrencies, like Ethereum, do use blockchain but that doesn't mean a blockchain system automagically equates to a crypto integration. Not only that but as we've seen with ridiculous systems like NFTs being associated with easily copied digital creations, the source doesn't need to be blockchain to use a crypto.
    Torval, you said it yourself, "the details or watch any of the sales videos", which I'd point out that aren't telling the whole story in any case. 
    The real point is that it's not how they use it now, it's how it will be used in the future. 

As an example, G. W. Bush passed the law that allowed tracking of everything because of 9-11. 
    And it was abused, laws broken, lies told, to spy on Donald Trump behind false accusations paid for by a political opponent. 

What makes you think that this transaction system won't be evolved into THE SYSTEM of currency? 

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not against Blockchain technology, but against it not being restricted before it's too late. Same for Cryptocurrencies. 

Don't look now, but world government's are already getting into digital currencies with China (of course) leading the way.

https://www.paymentsjournal.com/digital-yuan-china-introduces-the-anti-bitcoin/

Uses a centralized ledger backed by the government and definitely not anonymous.

tzervoAlBQuirkyMendel

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing FO76 at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• VrikaVrika Member EpicPosts: 6,793
    Kyleran said:
    Torval said:
    Torval said:

Don't look now, but world government's are already getting into digital currencies with China (of course) leading the way.

Uses a centralized ledger backed by the government and definitely not anonymous.
    Digital currencies aside, real currencies are also turning more and more digital. It's getting to the point where, if asked when I last time either received or gave actual physical currency, I'm not even sure whether it was this year or last year.
    tzervoAlBQuirky

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 10,310
    Kyleran said:
    Torval said:
    Torval said:

The "us dollar" coin will be here in July. The same time Visa will be shipping cryto debit/credit cards
    KyleranAlBQuirky
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 10,310
    edited April 5
    But it didn't work because cryptocurrencies are actually a commodity, one that doesn't actually exist in the real world. 
    BTT is actually doing really good. Up 30% with a 5 billion dollar market cap over the last week.

Does the movie you bought from Xfinity exit in the real world? I'm not sure but I know with BTT you'll actually own it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/finance.yahoo.com/amphtml/news/whats-bittorrent-btt-crypto-today-054847937.html
    AlBQuirky
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 4,222
    bcbully said:
    BTT is actually doing really good. Up 30% with a 5 billion dollar market cap over the last week.

Does the movie you bought from Xfinity exit in the real world? I'm not sure but I know with BTT you'll actually own it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/finance.yahoo.com/amphtml/news/whats-bittorrent-btt-crypto-today-054847937.html
    Just converted my BTT with 56% profit to something not considered a shitcoin. Pump and dump the hype, put the profits in something decent.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    AlBQuirkybcbully
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 37,498
    lahnmir said:
    bcbully said:

Just converted my BTT with 56% profit to something not considered a shitcoin. Pump and dump the hype, put the profits in something decent.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    For better or worse my employer prohibits us from such quick turnaround trading, preferring we use a more buy and hold strategy for investments.

Maybe after I retire.
    AlBQuirky

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing FO76 at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 21,129
    Kyleran said:
    lahnmir said:
    bcbully said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    For better or worse my employer prohibits us from such quick turnaround trading, preferring we use a more buy and hold strategy for investments.

Maybe after I retire.

:lol:
    KyleranAlBQuirkybcbully
    traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

• MendelMendel Member EpicPosts: 4,384
    Kyleran said:
    Torval said:
    Torval said:

I prefer my imaginary currencies to remain imaginary.  That way, I can be an umpty-blujillionaire and no one can say any different. :*

KyleranbcbullyAlBQuirky

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.