Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Was The Game Ever Real ? - 8 Million Dollars Missing - The Chronicles of Elyria

2»

Comments

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    edited April 2021
    BruceYee said:
    What I'd do if I was him is just make the game with Unity and deliver at least the basic features and obviously not all the impossible things he was promising. I know people gave him money for those features but at this point the situation just sucks for everyone and if he releases a basic MMO then adds to it over time it will be better than nothing. Reach some type of compromise of some kind with the really high pledge people like an instanced housing zone or something just for them + other perks. If he is using Unity then stuff like that is possible. Even if he lied and no code was written and stuff being mentioned here is true nothing can be done about that. Those old employees are gone and the best he can do is try to actually REALLY make a game this time with the new hires.
    So after almost 5 years and $8,000,000  he should just start over from scratch?
    What new hires?  How many?  What do they do?  How will he pay them?  Do you think people are going to give this guy money after the catastrophe that the last 5 years were?

No... he should release what he has.  He claimed he had substantial development.  Look through all his blog posts.  Why can't the backers even walk around in the actual client he supposedly spent the last 5 years working on?

Why not simply come clean and show what is there?  Why not show the results of the forensic accountant's investigation that he claims to have had done?

But some people in this thread are saying he doesn't have anything though... you can't show something of nothing.

Everyone at this point should probably consider that he lied about everything.

Everyone loses if nothing ever comes of the game and he decides to leave the game in development limbo for the rest of his life cause he can 100% do that. Recreating whatever minimal stuff he has fresh with Unity for even a fraction of the money raised means at least there is a game that can be played. Adding content to it over time would be a minimal cost. He has the choice right now though to go legit which I 100% believe he should do.

Everyone should understand that he doesn't have to do anything even close to trying to release a game and let's be honest nothing legally will ever happen to him cause the law DOES NOT CARE about video games. The law especially doesn't care about people giving money to video games based on just a promise which is basically what all crowdfunded games are. Give me an example of any other situation in this world where people give 8 million to someone and that person is never expected to deliver the product the money was given for.

I keep posting this video clip in crowdfund MMO threads cause this is a perfect visual example of crowdfund games AND video games in general. When normal people think of us they see that guy. Imagine a billion dollar industry where people fork over that amount money YEARLY and never own what they pay for. That(video) in a nutshell is the gaming industry and why gamers are viewed as the world's fools. That reason too is why Steam with all their legit indie low cost games IS the purest and most honest segment of the gaming industry at this moment in time.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    BruceYee said:

Everyone should understand that he doesn't have to do anything even close to trying to release a game and let's be honest nothing legally will ever happen to him cause the law DOES NOT CARE about video games. The law especially doesn't care about people giving money to video games based on just a promise which is basically what all crowdfunded games are.

That remains to be seen.  One thing I am quite confident in though, if it weren't for the lawsuit and the Washington AG looking at him he would not have "reopened" his studio and even started this charade.

Win or lose, I just hope the lawsuit reveals what really happened behind the curtain.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Slapshot1188 said:

One thing I am quite confident in though, if it weren't for the lawsuit and the Washington AG looking at him he would not have "reopened" his studio and even started this charade.

Maybe. But this re-opening might also have been done in part because of the federal Covid money he got. I'm sure he doesn't want to give that back either.
    KyleranYashaX
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    Slapshot1188 said:

One thing I am quite confident in though, if it weren't for the lawsuit and the Washington AG looking at him he would not have "reopened" his studio and even started this charade.

Maybe. But this re-opening might also have been done in part because of the federal Covid money he got. I'm sure he doesn't want to give that back either.
    True.  But my feeling is that was a result of his reopening due to the lawsuit.  Then again its kind of 6 vs half a dozen at this point. 

I can't wait until he has his "beta" later this month.  From what I read on the Lawsuit Discord one of the streamers is going to live stream his first time on.  Should be a hell of a fun watch.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    That was a solid video, as it seems based on facts rather than unsubstantiated accusations. I've called out SS at the beginning of their project for different reasons, but to me CoE doesn't seem like a "scam": based on what they've shown over the years, I'd say more like a mismanaged project, unfortunately for all its backers and developers (and even the CEO).
    I believed that in the beginning but what they pulled at then end with raising all that money and then shutting down, to announce they didn't shut down, to now announcing they are working on some RTS game...  And as he said... all that money and time and nobody played it?

IMHO something changed mid project when he realized couldn't deliver.

Yay I'm back, I like to pop in every now and then.

I think it was about half way through when I saw the light re. CoE and how inept Jeremy was.
    I do believe they were passionate about the game, I do believe they tried. But what I think happened, Jeremy didn't realise understand the difference between software development and game development.

After the collapse last year I was glad that I managed to get a refund due to my payment method and laws in my country.
    I feel for those in the cash action lawsuit losing the money they did, at the end of the day they should have also taken precautions to protect themselves.
    ScotSlapshot1188francis_baud
    edited April 2021
    AnOldFart said:
    That was a solid video, as it seems based on facts rather than unsubstantiated accusations. I've called out SS at the beginning of their project for different reasons, but to me CoE doesn't seem like a "scam": based on what they've shown over the years, I'd say more like a mismanaged project, unfortunately for all its backers and developers (and even the CEO).
    I believed that in the beginning but what they pulled at then end with raising all that money and then shutting down, to announce they didn't shut down, to now announcing they are working on some RTS game...  And as he said... all that money and time and nobody played it?

I think it was about half way through when I saw the light re. CoE and how inept Jeremy was.
    I do believe they were passionate about the game, I do believe they tried. But what I think happened, Jeremy didn't realise understand the difference between software development and game development.

After the collapse last year I was glad that I managed to get a refund due to my payment method and laws in my country.
    I feel for those in the cash action lawsuit losing the money they did, at the end of the day they should have also taken precautions to protect themselves.
    Yeah I am inclined to believe that it just started with ineptitude but I have real concerns about how it ended.  Also, do not forget that he only asked for 900k or so and nowhere on the Kickstarter did it mention that was just for seed money and that he claimed he needed 3-4M to finish the game  (couldn't do it with 8 but that's another discussion).

That always seemed very dishonest to me. Especially when Kickstarter explicitly states that the money asked for must be the FULL AMOUNT to complete the project.

WellspringAnOldFartYashaX

• francis_baudfrancis_baud Member RarePosts: 479
    AnOldFart said:

Yeah I am inclined to believe that it just started with ineptitude but I have real concerns about how it ended.  Also, do not forget that he only asked for 900k or so and nowhere on the Kickstarter did it mention that was just for seed money and that he claimed he needed 3-4M to finish the game  (couldn't do it with 8 but that's another discussion).

That always seemed very dishonest to me. Especially when Kickstarter explicitly states that the money asked for must be the FULL AMOUNT to complete the project.

From what I could see, the same happened to many other KS projects: the estimated delivery date and estimated budget were way way off.
    edited April 2021
    AnOldFart said:

From what I could see, the same happened to many other KS projects: the estimated delivery date and estimated budget were way way off.
    Not the same. 

Massively OP: The sticking points seem to be the Kickstarter FAQ line that states, “The funding goal is the amount of money that a creator needs to complete their project” and the fact that COE’s Kickstarter verbiage itself doesn’t appear to mention that the $900K sought wasn’t the full amount (it’s buried in the 8000+ comments). […] What do you say to those who argue the original funding goal as stated in the Kickstarter was misleading?

Jeromy Walsh: In response to the argument that our original funding goal was misleading, we really believed people were aware we were going to be looking for money aside from Kickstarter, and that the money we raised was all we needed from Kickstarter. As we talked about yesterday, we have it on our company website, we had it in comments on Kickstarter, we’d said we’d ultimately need more than $900k in our Q&A’s with various YouTubers, and we’d even said it in response to questions on our forums.

-----------------

He admitted to knowing he needed MILLIONS more to make the game.  Other people at least claim ineptitude but he admits IMHO to breaking the Kickstarter rules, not by accident, but on purpose.

• francis_baudfrancis_baud Member RarePosts: 479
    edited April 2021
    Yes, I understand what you mean, but I'm still wondering how many KS creators explicitly did mention on their KS page that the funding raised during the KS campaign is not the sole amount of money required to finish the project (what JW apparently omitted to do).
    Yes, I understand what you mean, but my point is that I'm wondering how many KS creators explicitly mentioned on their KS page that the funding raised during the KS campaign is not the sole amount of money required to finish the project.
    Oh I think there is a lot of fraud going on... or utter incompetence. 
    francis_baud

• AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    Talking of kickstarter I got that money back too ?

Seems my credit card counted that as a purchase
    Slapshot1188