Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Quest Systems

GorweGorwe Member Posts: 1,428
This is the next system on my list which I wish to discuss. A literal example of an "oneshot" system, go, do and never do again. I was leveling earlier via Quests on Return of Reckoning and it was awesome, being on Ulthuan, only for that...! But the quests? Mostly lacking, but I could also say that about SWTOR or TSW and those are anything but lacking. But what happens once you finish playing SWTOR and, say, record everything? You either have an annoying activity or you don't play at all anymore. And if a game focuses on Instances, if a game focuses on RvR...why even include a large amount of quests, why not go for efficiency and quality?

With that said, what type of Quests do you prefer? Just a few main, fully fleshed out quests? A shitton of filler quests so you always have something to do? Something else?

Comments

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
    I don't like quests exactly because of how you defined them. 
    I want a worldly game, a sandbox world, and I'd want "quests" to be something that players create themselves based on mysteries in the game and it's world. 

A "quest" to seek out the meaning and power of a "Word of Power."
    A "quest" to discover how to change an alchemical formula into something more powerful. 
    Etc. 
    Ungood[Deleted User]

Once upon a time....

• GorweGorwe Member Posts: 1,428
    For what it's worth, as long as quests are memorable(be it because of presentation, game play or both) and, preferably, fun, I'm ok with that. But I don't need a lot of them. I'm fine with "fetch" or "kill 10 x", but those don't even need a fancy explanation, simply tell me what and where. But I really do like things like SWTOR's class stories, WAR's Epic Quests, ESO's faction quests etc.

In fact, I'm repelled if there's too many meaningless quests. Just feels like you're being milked for time and, quite possibly, money. So some portfolio looks spiff.
    Amaranthar
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    a lot of this depends on the game and how it works.

Games like DDO, which is a quest hub game, obviously quests, and LOTS of them is the backbone of the game.  So for a game like DDO, I want lots of quests, and the more varying, different, and in some cases aggravating they might be, the better.

In a game like GW2, IMHO, the Instance Quests pulled away from the rest of the game, so much so, that the game could have been far better off, if it had no dungeons or even instance content outside the "Personal Story", of which, could have vastly been cut down, to simply be a quick into to the game, and not this long drawn out campy slog about being the savor of the world.

Just saying on that one.
    [Deleted User]
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

Ungood said:

Games like DDO, which is a quest hub game, obviously quests, and LOTS of them is the backbone of the game.  So for a game like DDO, I want lots of quests, and the more varying, different, and in some cases aggravating they might be, the better.

In a game like GW2, IMHO, the Instance Quests pulled away from the rest of the game, so much so, that the game could have been far better off, if it had no dungeons or even instance content outside the "Personal Story", of which, could have vastly been cut down, to simply be a quick into to the game, and not this long drawn out campy slog about being the savor of the world.

Just saying on that one.

Indeed. In WAR, it could've simply been story(zone, epic etc) quests with adjusted rewards and I'd be perfectly satisfied(more than actually) with it. Having a shit ton of quests usually makes me feel fatigued, like I'm doing a lot of menial tasks and not really having fun.
    Ungood[Deleted User]
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Gorwe said:
    Ungood said:

Just saying on that one.

Indeed. In WAR, it could've simply been story(zone, epic etc) quests with adjusted rewards and I'd be perfectly satisfied(more than actually) with it. Having a shit ton of quests usually makes me feel fatigued, like I'm doing a lot of menial tasks and not really having fun.
    It really all balances on the game that is trying to be made.

Which is why, I can't say I am a fan of check-box games.
    Gorwe[Deleted User]
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

edited April 2021
    Ungood said:
    Gorwe said:
    Ungood said:

Just saying on that one.

It really all balances on the game that is trying to be made.

Which is why, I can't say I am a fan of check-box games.

Indeed. A subsystem does not need to be a part of a larger system if it don't fit. This checkboxing and ctrl c+v only leads to mediocre and ultimately unfulfilling experiences. Game "a" and game "b" don't have to be similar even if they share a genre.
    Ungood[Deleted User]
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    For me , quests are mean to decorate the game world . It allow us to interact with the virtual world and make it feel alive

and when all the quests are done , the world feel empty
    UngoodGorwe